Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Update 3.0.1 "Boot Failure, Entered Update Mode!"

sventydeman

Helix Community LEGENDS! Oh my gosh! This update is killing me.... ;(

I followed the instructions on the website to update my Helix to v3. I backed up first but unfortunately during the update there was an error now my Helix won't get beyond the "Boot Failure, Entered Update Mode!" when I turn it on (picture attached).

***Another strange thing happened on the update - my computer asked me to hit the key next to shift to recognise the keyboard??? That happened on both my main computer and laptop.

The Helix won't connect to the direct USB inputs of my Mac computer (nor my laptop). I have swapped USB cables. I have re-installed software, I have tried installing an older version in case that helped. 

Can anyone please help me, I sent a ticket to support about 4-5 days ago but haven't heard anything and I have spent hours reading forums and trying to problem solve. 

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance! 

Screen Shot 2020-12-08 at 11.08.56 am.png

IMG_6611.HEIC

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, geraldp48 said:

I followed the instructions above but the Line 6 Updater still does not recognize the device.

Have you tried different USB cables and ports? Unfortunately, this can be an issue.

And fwiw, in case you're on Windows, while the same steps above apply, you should make sure HX Edit isn't running as a service in background (check that with the task manager).

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Thank you Sascha for the info. I had problems updating my Helix last night. I had similar problems as ArtisanFaith. Although I could not download the Flash Memory update for some reason, the Safe Mode boot info allowed me to finished setting up the 3.01 Firmware boot. Now I can use my Helix without throwing it through a window.

On 12/8/2020 at 5:30 PM, SaschaFranck said:

- Quit HX Edit! Don't start it again until you're finished with everything following.

- Go here and download the Line 6 Updater (in case it's not installed on your machine already):

https://line6.com/software/

- Also download the "Flash Memory" from there (it's the actual update).

- Install the updater.

- Reboot the Helix while holding down switches 6 and 12 (this will take you to safe boot mode).

- Start the Line 6 Updater, select "Offline Mode" and see whether it finds your Helix.

- If yes, select it and choose "local file". Point it to the Flash Memory file you've downloaded.

THANK YOU!!

My PC chose to re-start mid-Helix Update and it got stuck in-limbo. This work-around brought it back to the land of the living and now it seem to be working. I've been noodling around on the thing a bit lately so my panic was pretty well founded  :D

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 12/8/2020 at 11:30 AM, SaschaFranck said:

- Quit HX Edit! Don't start it again until you're finished with everything following.

- Go here and download the Line 6 Updater (in case it's not installed on your machine already):

- Install the updater.

- Reboot the Helix while holding down switches 6 and 12 (this will take you to safe boot mode).

- Start the Line 6 Updater, select "Offline Mode" and see whether it finds your Helix.

- If yes, select it and choose "local file". Point it to the Flash Memory file you've downloaded.

You are a life saver!!! Thank you!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2020 at 10:30 AM, SaschaFranck said:

- Install the updater.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2020 at 5:30 PM, SaschaFranck said:

- Install the updater.

Many Thanks Man! Your help saved me ...

Sascha - thank you - your instructions worked.

If Line6 tech support looks at these comments, could you please update manuals / relevant instructions with the right step-by-step process to resolve this glitch ( or even better, please fix the process glitch).

• Like 2

I tried all options above, but my PC does not see the Helix. When I instert the USB it shows Helix, but the updater does not see it. I tried with windows and mac, but both do fail.

When I start up the Helix with switch 6 and 12 pressed, is says Entered update mode. I tried 3 usb cable's, but no effect. I am hopeless, what can I do?????

I tried some more, so I tried to start HX edit again. This didn't work and could not connect to the helix. But after quiting HX edit, something changed. The updater now saw the helix, and I was able to install the firmware. For some reason, the updater does not install the right USB driver, but the HX edit did correct this.

6 hours ago, sbroersen said:

I tried all options above, but my PC does not see the Helix. When I instert the USB it shows Helix, but the updater does not see it. I tried with windows and mac, but both do fail.

When I start up the Helix with switch 6 and 12 pressed, is says Entered update mode. I tried 3 usb cable's, but no effect. I am hopeless, what can I do?????

I tried some more, so I tried to start HX edit again. This didn't work and could not connect to the helix. But after quiting HX edit, something changed. The updater now saw the helix, and I was able to install the firmware. For some reason, the updater does not install the right USB driver, but the HX edit did correct this.

You do NOT want to have HX Edit running while you are using the Updater. It will prevent the Updater from seeing your HX device. Use one or the other but not both. That is why quitting HX Edit is the first step in SaschaFranck's directions.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

You do NOT want to have HX Edit running while you are using the Updater. It will prevent the Updater from seeing your HX device. Use one or the other but not both. That is why quitting HX Edit is the first step in SaschaFranck's directions.

I did not run it both. But starting HX edit enabled the usb driver in some strange way.  I first stopped HX edit, and then started Updater again.

6 hours ago, sbroersen said:

I did not run it both. But starting HX edit enabled the usb driver in some strange way.  I first stopped HX edit, and then started Updater again.

Cool, just wanted to make that clear as many newer users are not aware that they should have HX Edit shut down when they run the Updater and consequently can't understand why the Updater is not seeing their device when both are up. Generally it is the installation, not the running of HX Edit, that will enable the USB driver as part of the installation of HX Edit is to install the latest driver. It is part of the install package.  I find it interesting that you seem to have observed that just running HX Edit changed something on your computer.  Not sure why that would have made any difference. Wonder if some process was hung that was able to shutdown properly after you started and stopped HX Edit?

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2020 at 9:30 AM, SaschaFranck said:

- Install the updater.

Thanks SaschaFranck!  Heads up, all, there were a couple of alterations I had to make to SaschaFranck's steps to get it to work for me:

NOTE 1: After these steps, eventually had to boot up HELIX normally (w/o holding switches 6 & 12) in order for Line 6 Updater, in offline mode, to find Helix

NOTE 2: I had to 'sign out' of Line 6 Updater in order to get to the sign-in screen with the 'offline' option (sign-out in the ACCOUNT section of the menu-bar)

After following SaschaFranck's steps, my Line 6 Updater program still wouldn't recognize my Helix in "safe boot" mode (many tries with several cables and different USB C ports on my Macbook).

Not sure what kind of "unexplained miracle" occurred through these iterations, but I finally just tried rebooting my Helix normally for the heck of it ... and once again launched Line 6 Updater and selected 'offline' mode. My Helix was recognized like nothing wrong had ever happened and I was finally able continue on to pointing to the Flash Memory file I'd downloaded.

Helix now successfully updated to 3.11

On 5/31/2021 at 5:51 PM, derekroy_b3 said:

Not sure what kind of "unexplained miracle" occurred through these iterations, but I finally just tried rebooting my Helix normally for the heck of it

At least under Windows, it sometimes seems to be crucial to kill HX Edit as a background service to make things work. You can either do that using the Task Manager or by performing a Windows reboot - maybe you did that in the meantime, so after that it worked?
Who knows, at least it's working now.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much. I literally just bought a Helix Floor unit, brought it home and began to update to 3.11 and halfway through the update my PC gave me the blue screen of death. I thought I had bricked my brand new Helix. Your procedure worked perfectly. I really appreciate your guidance.

• 3 months later...
On 12/8/2020 at 4:30 PM, SaschaFranck said:

- Install the updater.

Very very Helpfull. Best regards

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2020 at 6:30 PM, SaschaFranck said:

- Install the updater.

Got my new Helix LT, today. Trying to update from 2.30 to 3.11 got a BSOD on my pc and had the exact same problem. The steps above did the trick for me also. Million thanks, ultra useful!

13 hours ago, un2017 said:

Line6: take this serious, what is the root cause: HX EDIT; USB drivers?

Hi,

This is a user group, Line 6 staff do not monitor the posts in this forum and rarely visit here. There is very little, or no chance that they will ever see you comment or question.

FYI, If you were updating from a version prior to 2.80 when the Core operating system of the Helix group of products  was changed, you would have encountered the “Boot Failure” screen. This happens when the previous system was flushed and the new brain was installed. At the time it created all sorts of mayhem - search for “update bricked my Helix” threads - most of which happened because people failed to read the notes supplied.

link:

Even though it is theoretically simple to update from any earlier version of the firmware, it’s not unknown for the update to glitch, or simply get to the “Boot Failure” message which then has people running to the internet screaming “Line 6 totalled my hardware”. Which when you think about it, is not exactly in their best interest really? A little research usually helps.

As for “what is the root cause?” - Your update could have failed for many and varied reasons. It’s one of life’s little mysteries, unlike the solution, which is not a secret and is mentioned in the release notes for the firmware updates. Always worth a read before jumping in and proceeding with a firmware installation.

Release Notes - Quote:

IMPORTANT! Carefully read and follow the update instructions below. If you don't—and then run to the forums asking why it's not working—the interwebs will make fun of you.

IMPORTANT! In the unlikely event that your update fails, please follow the steps below:

1. Unplug the USB cable from both the back of your Helix and the computer.
  2. Turn your Helix/HX device off and on.
  3. Reconnect the USB cable to your Helix/HX device and the computer.
  4. Download, install, and launch the latest version of Line 6 Updater. In a failure state, the device will not connect to HX Edit.
  5. Select your device and try updating to the latest firmware again.
    • If the device does not show up in Line 6 Updater after these steps, try a different USB cable and/or USB port.
    • If it still doesn't show up, try a different computer.

Luckily, forum contributor “SaschaFranck” bailed you out this time.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• 3 weeks later...

Vielen Dank Herr Franck,

I've the helix for 2 days, thought I should update the firmware and  had this problem.  After a couple of minutes of panic I found your solution  and worked perfectly...  And Im back into the awesome world of the Helix...

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2020 at 5:59 PM, SaschaFranck said:

Have you tried different USB cables and ports? Unfortunately, this can be an issue.

And fwiw, in case you're on Windows, while the same steps above apply, you should make sure HX Edit isn't running as a service in background (check that with the task manager).

Thanks you! It's very help!

When I tried another USB ports, Line6 updater can connect the Helix finally!!!

• 1 month later...

I tried to update with HxEdit as I read in the user manual.

It seemed to started out ok but about 35% through the update process my Win10 PC crashed? 

I'm thinking there's an issue with HxEdit software on Win10

Then Helix LT would fail during booting and enter update mode.

Tried everything and nothing worked. UNTIL I found this forum.

Followed the instructions above and using Line6 Updater instead of HxEdit and got the beastie updated and working again.

THANKYOU, THANKYOU, THANKYOU.

On 10/31/2021 at 12:24 AM, YNW666 said:

Vielen Dank Herr Franck,

I've the helix for 2 days, thought I should update the firmware and  had this problem.  After a couple of minutes of panic I found your solution  and worked perfectly...  And Im back into the awesome world of the Helix...

I only had it one day. All good now. Thanks to all

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem with my Helix Rack. The procedure is basically the same as above however as the Rack does not have the same buttons as the floor, to enter the boot mode you need to hold down the ECN1 and ECN6  (The buttons under the LED display) and then switch the Helix Rack on. Make sure HX Edit is not running and then run Line 6 updater. The rest of the procedure is the same as above,

Thanks for the help I would have been totally stuck otherwise!

• 2 months later...

This worked for me. The pics are screen shots from a text I sent someone explaining how I didi it.

I believe most UPDATING problems for Line 6 users is mostly about the FOLDERS that the LINE 6 UPDATER SOFTWARE expects a file to be in . If a new update is not in the expected folder then the software program gets confused.

Below is the file that LINE 6 UPDATER looks for the file:

Note*   C:\Program Files (x86)\Line6\Line 6 Updater

If files don't download here the Line 6 Updater can't find the file sometimes.

Find where the files are downloding and move the downloaded files to the above file folder.

LINE 6 NEEDS TO FIX THIS SOFTWARE PROBLEM !!!

It's only been 7 years since Windows 10 was released. LOL 

IT'S ONLY BEEN 7 YEARS SINCE WINDOWS 10 CAME OUT.Screenshot_20220320-115232_Messages.thumb.jpg.df85cd2f409a3cb88eb9ee0ceb6d75f3.jpg20220320_113555.thumb.jpg.79ec24f0d685d0ff7e295eb4ad800c33.jpg

LOL

Edited by randallsrenchme
Better explanation

• 1 month later...

OK I HAVE A FIX!!!! SO...I went on YouTube and saw few different  videos. One guy said he swapped out his Line 6 USB cable with his old crappy printer cable and it worked. I don't have that old crappy printer cable, however I didn't think it would be a cable issue because I can count on one hand how many times I've used this cable. I am a touring guitar tech so I went with my instincts on this one and it worked...I took a can of compressed air and blew out all of the cable openings and input on helix. Then I took a  can of electronic cleaner and sprayed out the ends of my cable and the USB input on my helix, and then once again with the compressed air and it worked immediately. I hope this helps.

Hello all,

I did the following as SaschaFranck recommended:

- Quit HX Edit!

- download the Line 6 Updater

- Also download the "Flash Memory" from there (it's the actual update) - not sure if I did it.

- Installed the updater.

- Start the Line 6 Updater, but then the Helix is not selectable.

It seems like the device is not found by my computer.

Any ideas why its not connecting?

I just bought the Helix yesterday...

best regards.

UPDATE:

I tried another USB port, now it identifies the Helix, and I can select it in the Line 6 Updater.

But If I select a local (hxf) file, or update the latest online version, I get the following error message:

grafik.png.ec28ee7cc56ab7585f06785d48de4739.png

On 5/3/2022 at 8:14 AM, JulianGidN said:

But If I select a local (hxf) file, or update the latest online version, I get the following error message:

Hi,

There could be many reasons for this, but try this procedure.

You don’t mention what your computer and OS are, but I will guess Windows plus the same routine should be the same for Mac. You also didn’t mention what version of the firmware you are updating from. If it was prior to v2.8 the installation may appear to happen twice, or you may encounter the “Boot Failure” message - This is normal and expected behaviour.

O.K. Let’s try this.

Remove all the previously installed Line 6 software from your computer especially the Windows drivers and then restart your computer. Launch HX EDIT and it will install the latest drivers.

Make sure to turn off the power to your HELIX.

Unplug the USB cable from the computer and HELIX.

Reboot your computer once more.

DISCONNECT FROM THE INTERNET, WI-FI, AND ENSURE THAT NO OTHER APPLICATIONS WHICH MAY INTERFERE WITH THE INSTALLATION, ARE RUNNING IN THE BACKGROUND.

Ensure that HX Edit is definitely closed and that you now have your HELIX reconnected to your PC by USB cable (do not use a hub, some front USB ports on PCs act like a hub) and hold down Foot Switches “6 & 12” while turning the power on. This puts your Helix into “Safe Boot Mode” (You may see a black screen, but keep going).

Now, launch the Line 6 Updater Utility and select "Offline Mode". Your HELIX and current firmware version should now show up in the window, click on the dark green coloured band and you should now have the option to select a local file - point it at the Flash Memory file you downloaded and let it get on with the update. When it finishes, allow your hardware to rebuild the presets which may take a few minutes.

When it completes you need to perform a Factory Reset on your hardware, then you can install the new HX Edit v. X.XX software and re-install your backup file which has all your Global settings, then you should be good to go.

Click on the black dot containing a white question mark in a white circle in the lower left of this screen - here you will find a list of reset options for Helix products.

Hope this helps/makes sense.