Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Update 3.0.1 "Boot Failure, Entered Update Mode!"

sventydeman

On 12/8/2020 at 11:30 AM, SaschaFranck said:

- Quit HX Edit! Don't start it again until you're finished with everything following.

- Go here and download the Line 6 Updater (in case it's not installed on your machine already):

https://line6.com/software/

- Also download the "Flash Memory" from there (it's the actual update).

- Install the updater.

- Reboot the Helix while holding down switches 6 and 12 (this will take you to safe boot mode).

- Start the Line 6 Updater, select "Offline Mode" and see whether it finds your Helix.

- If yes, select it and choose "local file". Point it to the Flash Memory file you've downloaded.

SaschaFranck, will this work with the Helix LT? Also, I don't see "Flash Memory" on the Line6 software download page. Where do I find it?

Thanks!

Since this is your first post I will assume that you haven’t already experienced an update failure and that you are simply trying to update your LT firmware and HX Edit software. 

To do this, do not follow the above advice (which only applies to recovering from an earlier failed update). What you should do is go to the Downloads page and download and install HX Edit v3.15 using the middle column of selections on the Downloads page. Run the downloaded executable to install all provided components. Then connect your LT to your computer via usb and run the HX Edit program. Log into to your Line 6 account within HX Edit. It should prompt you that an update is available. Follow the instructions from there.

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...
On 5/3/2022 at 9:14 AM, JulianGidN said:

Hello all,

I did the following as SaschaFranck recommended:

- Quit HX Edit!

- download the Line 6 Updater

- Also download the "Flash Memory" from there (it's the actual update) - not sure if I did it.

- Installed the updater.

- Reboot the Helix while holding down switches 6 and 12 (this will take you to safe boot mode).

- Start the Line 6 Updater, but then the Helix is not selectable.

It seems like the device is not found by my computer.

Any ideas why its not connecting?

I just bought the Helix yesterday...

best regards.

UPDATE:

I tried another USB port, now it identifies the Helix, and I can select it in the Line 6 Updater.

But If I select a local (hxf) file, or update the latest online version, I get the following error message:

grafik.png.ec28ee7cc56ab7585f06785d48de4739.png

Hi, just tried to update to 3.5 while the update stopped and I got the "Boot Failure, Entered Update Mode" screen.

Followed the steps fromSaschaFrank and then got the above screen halfway through the update (on MacOS)...not sure what to do now, honestly. 

This is my 2nd Helix update that doesn't work - they seriously need to work on this and fix those quality issues...

Any help from you is appreciated!  

On 11/10/2022 at 1:44 PM, mmarkuz said:

Hi, just tried to update to 3.5 while the update stopped and I got the "Boot Failure, Entered Update Mode" screen.

Followed the steps fromSaschaFrank and then got the above screen halfway through the update (on MacOS)...not sure what to do now, honestly. 

This is my 2nd Helix update that doesn't work - they seriously need to work on this and fix those quality issues...

Any help from you is appreciated!  

Well, what a surprise!
You really didn't expect the "Boot Failure, Entered Update Mode" screen?
Then on the second attempt, even while following Sascha's "How to Recover from a Failed Update", you were surprised to see the same thing again?

Honestly not sure what to do now?
Well, if that's the case you should read the Release Notes, especially point 2 in the "How do I update to 3.50" section which stated in BIG lettering - 
THIS IS NORMAL.

How do I update to 3.50?

IMPORTANT! The 3.50 update process may take 30 MINUTES OR MORE TO COMPLETE. This is totally normal, as it includes significant improvements to Helix Core and thousands of IR files.

Updating Helix/HX Hardware

1. With Helix/HX connected to your computer, launch HX Edit (3.01 or higher), and make sure you're signed in. HX Edit knows when a new update is available and will walk you through the entire update procedure for both hardware and software, including backing up everything to your computer. IMPORTANT! If you're running HX Edit 3.00 or older, download HX Edit 3.50 and repeat step 1.
  2. Helix Floor/Rack/LT only: Halfway through the update to 3.50, Helix's LCD reads "Boot Failure. Entered Update Mode!" THIS IS NORMAL. Breathe deep, everything is fine. You're almost there.
    • MoveAlong.jpg.178f5fc3b9e6bdeec47d4a5935e47444.jpg
    • HX Edit will display a message indicating the device must be reset. Click resume and wait for the second part of the update to complete.
  3. Perform a factory reset. IMPORTANT! MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A BACKUP FIRST, AS A FACTORY RESET WILL ERASE ALL YOUR WORK!
    • Helix Floor/LT: While holding footswitches 9 & 10 (bottom row, 2 middle switches), turn on Helix Floor/LT
    • Helix Rack: While holding knobs 5 & 6 (2 furthest right knobs below the screen), turn on Helix Rack
    • HX Effects: While holding footswitches 6 & TAP (2 farthest right switches on the bottom row), turn on HX Effects
    • HX Stomp: While holding footswitches 2 & 3, turn on HX Stomp
    • HX Stomp XL: While holding footswitches C & D, turn on HX Stomp
  4. OPTIONAL: Performing a factory reset loads the new 3.50 Factory Presets, but restoring from your backup will overwrite these. Spend some time exploring these and export the factory presets you want to keep (or drag them to your desktop). If you have unused setlists in Helix Floor/Rack/LT, you can also export the entire FACTORY 1 bundle for loading into an unused setlist later.
  5. From the top File menu, select Restore From Backup... If you don't have any important presets in Setlist 1, click the disclosure triangle next to Presets and uncheck the first setlist's box; this will retain 3.50's FACTORY 1 setlist. Select the backup file created in Step 1 and click Restore Backup.

It's only software - if you screw up, you can always revert to the previous version of the firmware.

Furthermore, this thread was specifically relevant to failed updates of version 3.0.1 from December 2020

Hope this helps/makes sense!

• Like 1

On 11/13/2022 at 7:13 PM, Boccia said:

If I understand the instructions, The “flash memory” is the firmware update. However, when i try to  download it it does allow me without an associated app.

You don't need an "associated app", you point the Line 6 Updater to the flash file.

On 11/13/2022 at 1:13 PM, Boccia said:

If I understand the instructions, The “flash memory” is the firmware update. However, when i try to  download it it does allow me without an associated app.

As @SaschaFranckindicated 'flash memory' must be used with the Line 6 Updater. I also assume you mean it wouldn't allow you to install it, it should be no problem to "download".

Hopefully you tried updating normally from within HX Edit before resorting to the Updater though. You should only use the Updater if the update from within HX Edit fails. If you are on a really old version, download and install HX Edit 3.50 first, and then try to upgrade your firmware to 3.50 from within HX Edit. Don't forget to do a backup first, and a factory reset and backup restore afterwards.

On 11/20/2022 at 12:07 AM, deathsguitarist said:

I am trying to get through this issue, but I can't find this flash memory download anywhere?  Can someone direct me? thanks

I did say that I was going to stop doing this, but…

This is really simple!

At the top of this page is a menu item named “DOWNLOADS”, click on it - then on the next page use the drop down menus to select, first, whatever hardware you are using (it helps if you tell us) , under the second menu select “Firmware” and then finally select your computer Operating System (it also helps to tell us this too). Click “GO”!  The next page is where you download the Firmware (flash memory). Remember where you save it to.

It’s all remarkably simple really, but as both you and the Grim Reaper cannot find it and as you are asking about flash memory, you obviously haven’t used the correct installation procedures. I despair that you have not been able to figure this out this far, therefore I have an awful feeling that you are about to screw this up even more. I suggest that you read, study and inwardly digest the following information provided in this link - and follow it to the letter.

Furthermore, this thread was specifically relevant to failed updates of version 3.0.1 from December 2020.

Hope this helps/makes sense, because that’s it - I really have had enough of this sh!t.

On 11/22/2022 at 5:00 AM, JoeDukeJSD said:

I cannot find 'offline mode' on the updater. Where is this ? How do I access it?

Oh, dear,

I guess that we are all getting really weary of this sort of nonsense - if you cannot follow simple instructions, how about following a video.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Although, judging by some of the other total insanity happening in here , maybe not.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm new to Line 6 products, but I was able to follow your steps to get my Helix Floor out of the "can't boot" or whatever screen. For me, when I booted the Helix in safe mode (switches 6 and 12 held down as you turn on the device), it found the Helix and checked online automatically for updates. I didn't use offline mode. I was just able to see the 3.50 update there, click update, and the program did the rest.

Mostly posting to say thanks for the post @SaschaFranck!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2022 at 1:15 AM, datacommando said:

Oh, dear,

I guess that we are all getting really weary of this sort of nonsense - if you cannot follow simple instructions, how about following a video.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Although, judging by some of the other total insanity happening in here , maybe not.

There is for sure people doing wrong, but there is still room to improve the update system imho. I'm reading WAAAAAY to many of these problems. It's too easy to mess things up, and a solid firmware update mechanism shouldn't allow that.

Funny thing is we are now heading back suggesting the use of the "old" l6 updater, instead HX Edit...which was supped to solve the l6 updater problems back in the days.

• Like 2

On 12/8/2022 at 10:52 AM, PierM said:

There is for sure people doing wrong, but there is still room to improve the update system imho. I'm reading WAAAAAY to many of these problems. It's too easy to mess things up, and a solid firmware update mechanism shouldn't allow that.

Funny thing is we are now heading back suggesting the use of the "old" l6 updater, instead HX Edit...which was supped to solve the l6 updater problems back in the days.

Every bit this.

Even if the Line 6 Updater does the job - it only sort of does. I mean, as soon as there's traces of HX Edit running in the background, you're out of luck and there's absolutely zero official information - let alone instructions - about how to adress that very issue. Might as well be the problem @willlin is running into.

Heck, there's not even any official information about the Line 6 Updater at all in this part of the forum. It's as if it didn't even exist - and yet, most often it's the only cure once you're running into what seems like a bricked unit. The longwinded post I wrote should actually be a nicely formatted post by some Line 6 employee, made sticky for the rest of all times, it's nothing us users should have anything to do with.

And of course, ideally there should be some sort of extra security level built into the update via HX Edit - which defenitely can fail quite sometimes, even if you literally follow each and every step of the official instructions (as said, I had it happen myself, and yes, I am perfectly able to read and follow such instructions), so there must be something fishy going on, at least every now and then. In case it's server issues (which I suppose might be the starting point of many messed up updates, it most certainly was in my case), the actual update process should be able to realize that the download was not complete.

And in case it's "just" a communication problem between the updating software and the hardware, this should cause the update process to stop, too. Well, it actually does so - but what it should do in any case would be offering an option to revert to the previously installed firmware, which should be temporarily cached by the updater, so there'd be a rollback option without any user action required.

Kinda like HX Edit asking "Whoops, we were running into some issues, revert to previous state, yes/no?". And once you pressed "yes", everything would happen automatically, simply because the updater created that temporarily cached backup. Maybe at the end of that failed update, you should be presented a link to the Line 6 Updater and some instructions about how to retry, this time using the "manual" method.

Really, so far each and every update has caused hundreds (if not even thousands) of failed attempts. That should be adressed.

• Like 2

On 12/8/2022 at 9:52 AM, PierM said:

Hi,

I agree that the installation process should be improved in some respects, and people still had problems even when using the “old” Line 6 Updater. Although, it does seem to me that quite a few of these “bricked my Helix” situations occur when people deviate from the prescribed installation method. I would attribute many of these events to what is know as “Hanlon’s Razor quoted in Murphy’s Law Book 2. I’m not entirely sure that “defensive design” would totally solve this as there is always going to be someone who thinks they can go it alone. 

As noted by Douglas Adams in his book “Mostly Harmless” - “a common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools".

On 12/8/2022 at 10:31 AM, SaschaFranck said:

Heck, there's not even any official information about the Line 6 Updater at all in this part of the forum. It's as if it didn't even exist - and yet, most often it's the only cure once you're running into what seems like a bricked unit. The longwinded post I wrote should actually be a nicely formatted post by some Line 6 employee, made sticky for the rest of all times, it's nothing us users should have anything to do with.

Really, so far each and every update has caused hundreds (if not even thousands) of failed attempts. That should be addressed.

Agreed, but as we are only too aware - Line 6 staff are conspicuous by their absence within these forums - check the Helix Native section where the very first post is a sticky notification of the release of Native 1.50 from 2017. Yeah, right - it may be a long wait for anyone who can administer these areas to actually get around to doing it. These forums that are hosted on the Line 6 website are essentially ignored by their employees. You would need to go to The Gear Page to attract their attention, or maybe, the Facebook “family” group. 

I would have expected that the owner’s manuals for the entire product range could contain a more precise set of written instructions regarding the installation procedure rather than the single simple paragraph that has been included. Having said that, it also appears to me that many, many people buy these high tech modelling devices and yet fail to consult the user manual, so possibly that would also be ignored as much as every other area.

;-)

• Like 1

On 12/8/2022 at 1:13 PM, datacommando said:

These forums that are hosted on the Line 6 website are essentially ignored by their employees.

Which, tbh, is a shame. Look at how Fractal and Kemper are handling these things. Their own forums are their homebase with some occasional appearances at other places. This is how you can keep things under control and get an idea about your actual users.

On 12/8/2022 at 1:13 PM, datacommando said:

You would need to go to The Gear Page to attract their attention, or maybe, the Facebook “family” group. 

Interestingly enough, these are the very two (only!) places I'm banned from on the web (if I wasn't involved, it'd be quite an entertaining story about how that happened, possibly allowing for some deeper insights into one person's psyche (not mine...)). Coincidence? Hrrhrr...

And well, on a somewhat absurd sidenote: I have seen links to the thread I started being posted in both of these places (I had a look at the FB group just 2 days ago via a friend's account, a Helix user as well). I possibly should've added a big "do not post this at TGP" sign (you might've guessed that I actually don't care, even if I'm not using any j/k emojis).

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I attempted to upgrade my HELIX Floor to 3.5 but I got the "Boot Failure, Entered Update Mode!" message.  As advised by the "Boot Failure, Entered Update Mode!" blog,  I downloaded the "Line 6 Updater"; the instructions also said to download the Flash Memory, which I could not find.  I restarted the HELIX holding the 6 and 12 stomp buttons and I get "Entered Update Mode!" but the Helix Editor does not recognize the device.  I tried the stomp button 9 and 10 hold restart and I got the "Boot Failure, Entered Update Mode!"  Please help, I have a show coming up. Thanks.

On 12/29/2022 at 1:27 PM, freedombite said:

I attempted to upgrade my HELIX Floor to 3.5 but I got the "Boot Failure, Entered Update Mode!" message.  As advised by the "Boot Failure, Entered Update Mode!" blog,  I downloaded the "Line 6 Updater"; the instructions also said to download the Flash Memory, which I could not find.  I restarted the HELIX holding the 6 and 12 stomp buttons and I get "Entered Update Mode!" but the Helix Editor does not recognize the device.  I tried the stomp button 9 and 10 hold restart and I got the "Boot Failure, Entered Update Mode!"  Please help, I have a show coming up. Thanks.

Make sure you have HX Edit closed when running one 6 Updater.

On 12/29/2022 at 8:27 PM, freedombite said:

Follow everything required literally:

• 2 months later...
On 12/8/2020 at 9:30 AM, SaschaFranck said:

- Quit HX Edit! Don't start it again until you're finished with everything following.

- Go here and download the Line 6 Updater (in case it's not installed on your machine already):

- Install the updater.

- Start the Line 6 Updater, select "Offline Mode" and see whether it finds your Helix.

- If yes, select it and choose "local file". Point it to the Flash Memory file you've downloaded.

could you please post a link to the flash memory?

• 6 months later...
On 12/8/2020 at 8:30 AM, SaschaFranck said:

- Install the updater.

Hello. I am having the same issue. I was able to get everything done on these instructions but I cannot find where to download the "Flash Memory" file. I am on Mac. Where can I get the Flash Memory file

On 10/10/2023 at 11:13 PM, keller_rado said:

Hello. I am having the same issue. I was able to get everything done on these instructions but I cannot find where to download the "Flash Memory" file. I am on Mac. Where can I get the Flash Memory file

https://line6.com/support/topic/65019-helixhx-update-doesnt-work-look-here/

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
On 12/9/2020 at 5:30 AM, SaschaFranck said:

- Install the updater.

Thanks a million  SaschaFranck 

was a bit of a scare,  but your instructions fixed it :-)