Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix LT - Stereo Power Amp - Stereo Cab

armadadrive

I am looking at a stereo power amp to power a 4x12 cabinet. This particular amp has 2x100w solid state channels. It can do bridged mono at 8ohms, but my cabinets are 4 or 16.

What I'm curious to know is: could you take the two outputs from the Helix, run one each into each channel of the power amp, then run each channel into a stereo cab? I don't care about stereo effects, I'm just wondering if you would get a level closer to 200w of output power using this method since two halves of the cabinet would be pushing 100w each of an identical signal? Or is that just not how it works?

48 minutes ago, armadadrive said:

What I'm curious to know is: could you take the two outputs from the Helix, run one each into each channel of the power amp, then run each channel into a stereo cab?

Yes.

49 minutes ago, armadadrive said:

I'm just wondering if you would get a level closer to 200w of output power using this method since two halves of the cabinet would be pushing 100w each of an identical signal?

All 4x12 cabs are not created equal. What's the ratings on the speakers in the cabs? If each pair of speakers sums to 8ohms, and the amp puts out 100 watts into 8ohms, then each speaker is getting 50 watts. Can the speakers handle that?

3 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

Yes.

All 4x12 cabs are not created equal. What's the ratings on the speakers in the cabs? If each pair of speakers sums to 8ohms, and the amp puts out 100 watts into 8ohms, then each speaker is getting 50 watts. Can the speakers handle that?

Yeah, I believe they're each 60 watts. They are Vintage 30s.

16074711368822090029789461605328.jpg

There ya go! Says right on the cab - with the switch in STEREO mode, each side is 8ohms and can handle 120watts. If the amp puts out 100watts into 8ohms, each speaker is getting 50watts, which should be fine with V30s.

• Upvote 1

Something to consider. I know you said you don't care about stereo, but v3.0 has a new effect called "Stereo Imager". As I understand it, despite the speakers being right next to each other, if you feed the cab a stereo signal with the Stereo Imager last in the chain, it'll enhance the stereo field and make it sound HUGE.

• Like 1