Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix (Rack) Control not MIDI capable?!

Phunkd419

I can't believe L6 would hobble what could be the most capable USB MIDI foot controller they have by not allowing it to be used with anything else but the Helix Rack. Am I doing something wrong? When plugged into power and into the PC, does nothing, doesn't respond when L6 updater or Helix Edit is started. And somehow the "little brothers", the FBV Shortboard 2 and 3, and even the Express (MKII) function in this way! I'd love to be able to control Helix Native or even my DAW with this $450 monstrosity. 

It's just a remote control. I believe at one time there was some thought that they might add the MIDI over USB capability to it, but, honestly, it probably doesn't have enough sales to justify it at this point. As long as you have the Helix Rack, you can use it as a MIDI controller for Native through the Rack.

• 1 month later...

I'm sure there is a reason if they added DC IN and USB hardware to the Helix Control. You don't engineer and produce random stuff without a goal and a plan. 

This means the Helix Control is capable to work as standalone USB controller, as soon as both Controller firmware and host will comunicate properly. Probably won't work as a MIDI controller with non-l6 stuff, but I'm pretty confident it will work with Native.

It's 2021, there is a new generation of musicians which are mostly working live with laptops and ableton. Helix Control would be the perfect companion for Native in a rehearsal or a live performance.