Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp: USB 2.0 vs 3.0?

guitarboy_02451

HI folks, I know this question has come up a few times, but never got a definitive answer. Does the HX Stomp utilize USB 3.0 or 2.0? I know 2.0 works, and I haven't had a lick of issues. I just know there is a difference between the 8pin 3.0 and 4pin 2.0. I know for storage if you want 3.0 performance, don't use a 2.0 cable.

I'm wondering if the same applies for the Stomp. 

Thanks in adavance.

• Like 1

It "might" work on the 3.0 port, but generally speaking most USB peripherals work on usb 2 ports (the normal black ports), and some of them "might" work on a 3.0 port, but some won't... and only usb 3.0 peripherals will work on a usb 3.0 port (the blue one).

So I mean, you can try it, but there's a reason why computers with 3.0 ports also still have 2.0 ports.... the backwards compatibility seems pretty hit and miss when using 2.0 stuff on 3.0 ports.

For me, I put a 3.0 external video dual display dongle on my 3.0 port, and it also adds several 2.0 ports since my laptop only has one 2.0 and one 3.0 port.  I use the remaining 2.0 port for my usb audio interface (since I'd rather have it directly connected to my laptop), my 2 external monitors on the video outs from the 3.0 video dongle, and it's remaining 2.0 ports are for mouse, my helix, etc etc.

I have never tried my helix on the 3.0 port because I've found in the past that many 2.0 devices are ignored on the 3.0 port.

• Like 1

I've never had an issue with Helix connected to 2.0 or 3.0/USB-C ports, but there's no advantage. At home my Helix is connected to my laptop with a USB-C to USB-B cable, at one studio its a regular old USB 2.0 port, and the other it's a 3.0 port and I've never had the device not be recognized (unless I turn it on while its connected, regardless of USB port type) or noticed and issues or improvements in any scenario.

• Like 1