Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can't Find 64 Bit Vst Plugins For Mac Osx

torbiz

I think the POD Farm 2.5 Mac VST Plug-Ins are only all 32 bit, but they work fine for me within my Cubase ver 5.5 (64 bit). I am not sure there would be much advantage to them being a true 64 bit version since they don't use a ton of memory (such as VST instruments can). Are you having any problems running the 32 bit plug-ins in Cubase 7? I hope not - I was thinking of upgrading my Cubase soon!

I have the latest version, but it loads as 32 bit.  The only problem with it is the annoyance of having to open another window to edit the plugins via the wrapper.  If you use a lot of instances, it can be a lot of extra clicks, which I am trying to avoid.

T

Zap - I am pretty sure only the AU plug-ins in the Mac POD Farm 2.5x version are 64 bit, and the Mac VSTs are 32 bit. (The Windows version POD Farm 2.5x VSTs are 64 bit too, but not for the Mac version). I would guess that so few Mac DAW host apps utilize VSTs (or also use AU) that Line 6 did not bother. If you run Reaper 64 on Mac you'll see that you can use either the POD Farm AU or VST plug-ins, but the VSTs open up obviously as 32 bit "bridged" (and with the Edit window as a floating window instead of in the regular Reaper FX window frame), where the AUs do not.

But, as I mentioned, I have no problems running the 32 bit POD Farm 2.56 VSTs in my 64 bit Cubase v5.5 or Reaper 64 Mac software. Some folks report problems trying to use some 32 bit plug-ins on 64 bit DAWs, but more typically those are older plug-ins or perhaps heavier VSTi's that utilize more processing/memory.

Torbiz - are you having a specific problem using the "bridged" POD Farm VSTs in Cubase?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

64bit VST (and AU) is already out you just need pod farm 2.5+

pod farm 1.x will never be updated.

no word on AAX currently.

I can attest to the same issue. I am a Mac User still waiting on a 64bit VST and a 64bit AAX.

• Upvote 1

• 8 months later...

This issue has still not been solved! I have tried endlessly to open the 64-bit POD Farm2 VST plug-in on OSX.

In OSX both 32 & 64 versions are written into the same plug-in, unlike Windows which has two separate versions.

After speaking on the phone with Line6 tech support I was told that "it's a problem with Cubase not recognizing the 64-bit Universal Binary in the POD Farm VST plug-in". That is not true! I have tried this on Cubase 6 and Cubase 7 as well as Reaper, The POD Farm 2 VST plug-in simply does not have a 64-bit Universal Binary for OSX! Also Cubase has no problem recognizing the 64-bit Universal Binaries from any other other plug-in developers, they all open in both 32 and 64 bit just fine.

The POD Farm2 standalone application runs in 64-bit, also I am able to run the AU plug-in on 64-bit just fine. Logic recognizes the 64-bit AU and opens it no problem, but no such luck with the VST. I have literally tired everything; Adding a new filepath using the Plug-In Manager, Moving the Plug-Ins to another folder, reinstalling both POD Farm and Cubase, ect,ect, I even tried reinstalling/upgrading/downgrading OSX with no success. I am literally at a loss and cannot figure this out, Line6 states that it's 64-bit but the VST does not work and a quick search on google revealed that I'm obviously not the only one experiencing the problem.

I'm really hoping Line6 will actually get their software development team on this issue and stop trying to pass the buck on Steinberg, It's not Cubase! Steinberg is the company that invented VST technology and they know how to open a 64-bit binary, as I stated before all my other third-party 64-bit plug-ins are recognized by Cubase no problem. Just not Line6.

I haven't tried in Cubase 8 yet as it was just recently released, but if anyone can confirm that I would bet nothing has changed as the problem obviously lies within the VST being 32-bit only, at least on Mac OSX. Any version of OSX that is, I tried.

Here are other thread topics concerning the same issue:

http://line6.com/support/topic/3089-pod-farm2-in-cubase-appears-to-be-in-32-bit-mode/

http://line6.com/support/topic/10985-pod-farm-25-in-64-bits-on-a-mac/

• 2 weeks later...

Having said that Henry JB, it worked fine on Cubase 7.5 no drama!

I highly doubt you were ever running POD Farm in 64-bit with Cubase on the Mac, even version 7.5. Trust me I have a Licence to Cubase 6 & 7 full versions, it has never worked! Check again, the POD Farm installer for OSX even tells you there's no 64-bit support for the VST plugin if you read it. Line6 doesn't support 64-bit VST plugins on OSX, only the AU are 64-bit, read the installer it's right there in black and white before you install POD Farm.

Yes you're right it is a $300 plugin and yet Line6 does not support 64-bit VST plug-ins on OSX. Who knows if they ever will?...

Henry JB, I am on Cubase 8.5 I have done almost exactly what you have done. Cubase will not see Pod Farm. I'm really angry about it. It's a $300 plug in!

Thank you for confirming my prediction, Even on the latest version Cubase 8.5 the VST plug-in will not launch or even be recognized while in 64-bit mode.

Just as I presumed, again that's because the problem doesn't lie within Cubase, any version of it, or any other VST host for that matter. The problem lies within Line6's 64-bit support for VST plugins on Mac OSX.

Yes Cubase does recognize POD Farm using this technique, but it's using a 32bit bridge to run the plug-in. So the POD Farm VST will still not run natively 64-bit, which uses more CPU resources when using a 32-bit Bridge.

While in Cubase open the "about" section of the POD Farm VST plug-in by clicking on the Line6 logo. If it says x64 after the version number then you will know it's running in native 64-bit. Otherwise it's still 32-bit, the Standalone and The AU plugin can run in 64-bit, just not the VST.

Try This while Cubase is open running the POD Farm plugin.

On your Mac if you go to your Applications folder, then the Utilities folder, open up Activity Monitor. Go to the CPU tab near the bottom. Now if you scroll down you will see an app running called "VSTBridgeApp" if you look to the right most column you will see that it's NOT running in 64-bit like Cubase is.

The main disadvantage to using a 32-bit Bridge is that it requires more CPU resources to run both the bridge emulator and the 32-bit plug-in than it would to just run a native 64-bit plug-in. Not an issue for some users I'm sure, but with big projects and sessions with large track counts this can become a problem.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Henry JB, thanks for your consistency on this topic.

Pod Farm 2.5 was released in 2011. Since then, many users complained about lack of Mac VST 64 bit version.

I called support many times about it. Most of the times, techs weren't aware of the issue or mixed up between 64 AU Mac and 64 VST PC. 

Everytime I always had confirmation that 64 bit VST OSX was not yet available but will be in the future. Last time was 2 years ago...

As mentioned by JB Henry - certainly because they had many frustrated user calls- it is now written on Pod Farm 2.5 product page that 64 bit VST OSX is not supported. Now it's clear.

Henry JB, thanks for your consistency on this topic.

No problem raymond, Just trying to help point out the cause of the problem. I've been down this road before and after finding this thread any many others like it I realized, others had been down it before and many more new people just starting to go down the same path. It's very frustrating and a bit confusing not knowing what is causing the issue at first, but after trying literally everything I could think of it was determined that the VST plug-in for OSX is just simply not 64-bit. As the Line6 website now states.

That being said it's 2015, soon to be 2016 and Line6 still does not support 64-bit in the POD Farm VST plug-in for OSX. I'm actually starting to wonder if it will ever happen at this point. PODFarm came out a while ago and it isn't exactly a "NEW" product anymore for Line6 developers to be focusing on.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...

It's 2019 and I'm having exactly the same problem. Still any solution to this? Im using Cubase Le Al Elements 9.5 and it doesn't find Pod Farm (2.59).. it's in the blacklist.

I think it's kinda nasty to have Cubase included in a package of Pod Studio UX2 if they aren't even compatible with each other at the end.