Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod xtLive MIDI thru

I don't seem to have any MIDI connectivity.  I am not sure if I don't know what I'm doing, the result I am looking for is not actually possible, or something is broken.  What I would ideally like to do is use my (adnmittedly old) Pod xtLive as a MIDI interface to my computer/DAW.  I was hoping to connect my MIDI keyboard to the Pod, and have the POd send the MIDI messages through to my computer, saving a USB port for me.  I have checked the MIDI cable, which is fine, I have tried both omni and individual MIDI channels, I tried both the "output" and through settings on the Pod.  I have tried these with nearly every possible MIDI settings option on my keyboard, which is a Casio XW-P1.  The Pod is recognized by my DAW as a MIDI input device.  I am very new to this, so again, not sure if it's me, the equipment, or I'm looking for something that isn't possible.  I appreciate any help anyone can give me

Did you go to the MIDI settings option and change it from Out to Thru? 

Then plug your Casio's MIDI OUT to the PODXT MIDI IN jack and the MIDI OUT/THRU to your computer's MIDI IN. What MIDI interface are you using on your computer? What is your computer's OS: Windows or Mac and what version. I only know Windows. Some older USB to MIDI adapters may no longer work on newer versions of Windows. Check the Windows Device Manager to see if the MIDI port is listed under Sound, Video and Game Controllers. 

OK, so then you need to connect the MIDI OUT of the Casio, to the MIDI IN of the PodXT. The PodXT's MIDI OUT/THRU jack should be connected to your computer's MIDI interface's IN jack. The PodXT's USB port should be connected to one of your computer's USB ports, however, use a USB port on the computer, not a USB hub. As  Also, the PodXT is not that great as an audio interface (high latency delay) so I would recommend you use a separate audio interface. Let me know if that helps. 

I’m not 100% sure about the POD XT but I used to own a POD X3 Live, a more recent model than the XT. The X3 is not a fully functional MIDI interface device. The X3 device handles a subset of MIDI a commands such as PC and some CCs. It does not handle (and does not Pass Thru) other MIDI commands such as the critically important Note On/Off commands that are necessary for supporting MIDI keyboard controllers. It would surprise me if the newer X3 series had MIDI capabilities stripped out of it after the XT series. I’m inclined to think the XT is the same as the X3 in terms of its MIDI implementation.

anyone know how to edit midi functions on the x3 live it will change banks and patches of outboard gear but icant seem to figure out how to edit so i can use the top row to toggle on off effects from another unit. and it seems like there is no editor available anymore i dohave gear box but couldnt figure it out.