Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pat Metheny Sound

timrobrus

Hi,

I'm trying to recreate the early PM tone as accurately as possible, but not sure if it's technically possible on the PG.

I'm, happy with my dry amp tone (JC120 -> Ampeg 4x10 cab), the FX are more of a challenge.

PM sounds like he uses a chorus + delay but it's actually a stereo digital delay he uses to create the chorus effect - L side 13ms, R side 26ms, both with pitch modulation - then a 450-500ms mono digital delay on the dry guitar tone.

I can create the doubling effect of the stereo delays using, not surprisingly, the 'stereo delay' in the PG, although there is no modulation in the stereo delay, but don't think it's possible to have a separate delay on the dry guitar tone only (I imagine this is a job for the Helix). I could add a vibrato after the stereo delay and longer mono delay in order to get some pitch modulation but this will also effect the dry guitar tone. I could also add the longer delay with modulation (Dig w/Mod).

Both of these sound pretty close to my ears, but I wondered if someone with greater knowledge of the unit than I (I've only had it a week and played with it for a few hours in total so far) can think of a better way.