Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Why buy a Helix?

LongDuckDong

2 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

And we have a winner! LMFAO!!!!

Line 6 needs better marketers.  On a fan forum, no one could explain why the Helix was worth purchasing, when someone owned the Spider Jam.

Either there is no reason for an upgrade or the Helix is so awesome that no one can adequately explain why it is better, without hurling insults.  

10 minutes ago, LongDuckDong said:

Line 6 needs better marketers.  On a fan forum, no one could explain why the Helix was worth purchasing, when someone owned the Spider Jam.

Either there is no reason for an upgrade or the Helix is so awesome that no one can adequately explain why it is better, without hurling insults.  

It isn't a fan forum nor a sales floor. It is a user forum. We are here to help each other get the most out of this device, not to move units. Your question has been answered repeatedly and consistently: there is no reason for you to upgrade to Helix. There is nothing wrong with your Spider Jam if it works for you. 

29 minutes ago, DugT said:

It seems we don't know why you should or shouldn't buy a Helix. I know at least one of us doesn't care. You might try googling Spider Jam vs Helix. 

I researched the Helix.  My favorite amp is the Mesa Boogie, Dual Rectifier, which the Spider Jam, has.  

I asked if the Helix brought more to the table than the Spider Jam. 

Unfortunately, the respondents couldn't answer a simple question, without getting pissy, snarky, or defensive.

Hopefully, it wasn't defensive, because you spent a lot of money buying the Helix.

1 hour ago, LongDuckDong said:

I researched the Helix.  My favorite amp is the Mesa Boogie, Dual Rectifier, which the Spider Jam, has.  

Unfortunately, the respondents couldn't answer a simple question, without getting pissy, snarky, or defensive.

You should buy a Mesa Boogie, Dual Rectifier.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, LongDuckDong said:

Of course the Helix has a lot more than a Spyder Jam except a power amp and a speaker. They are very different and no one here wants to study up on your Jam and then list the differences for you. The Helix costs four times as much and you are happy with your jam so party on. If you want someone to try and sell you a Helix, go to a guitar shop and talk to a salesman.  Essentially you challenged us to argue why you should buy a Helix even though they are a lot more expensive but why should we bother? There is an excellent chance that you shouldn't buy a Helix. Please feel free to tell us why we should have saved a lot of money by buying a Spyder Jam. 

3 hours ago, LongDuckDong said:

I researched the Helix. 

Unlikely, with that opening post. A tiny amount of research would answer the below. Time to stop feeding.

Hopefully, it wasn't defensive, because you spent a lot of money buying the Helix.

I don't think it's that respondents couldn't answer that question, it's more to the point that the differences are so many and so obvious that it's clear your research wasn't very deep.

Are you familiar with the power of shapshots?  Or how about MIDI control over external devices, or control of the Helix via MIDI controllers?  How about split signal paths for parallel effects?  How about the ability to use IRs, or the ability to use multiple cabinets, mic and mic placements?  How about the flexibility of the USB recording interface for capturing wet/dry signals?  How about the variety of input and output mechanisms for external effects, other instruments, voices, direct outs for PAs, etc.?

The world doesn't begin and end with two amp models.  Especially when you can't even explore the possibilities of those two amplifiers using different speaker cabinets and/or mics and mic placements.

If you want to know the difference, here's my challenge to you.  I have just ONE of my presets that changes from an electric guitar to an acoustic guitar for a given passage in the middle of a song, changes up a half step in key on the final chorus, and I additionally run a Beat Buddy drum machine from my Helix pedalboard during that song.  When you can accomplish that on your Spider Jam, check back with me.

4 hours ago, DugT said:
1 hour ago, LongDuckDong said:

Of course the Helix has a lot more than a Spyder Jam except a power amp and a speaker. They are very different and no one here wants to study up on your Jam and then list the differences for you. The Helix costs four times as much and you are happy with your jam so party on. If you want someone to try and sell you a Helix, go to a guitar shop and talk to a salesman.  Essentially you challenged us to argue why you should buy a Helix even though they are a lot more expensive but why should we bother? There is an excellent chance that you shouldn't buy a Helix. Please feel free to tell us why we should have saved a lot of money by buying a Spyder Jam. 

Just download the Helix Native for your computer and give it a free try for 2 weeks!

I am a happy Kemper owner, but absolutely love the HX Stomp after buying one as a backup.