Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Solved: HX Stomp and UA Luna

guitarboy_02451

Hi All,

I'm using UA Luna as my DAW (temporarily) and was wondering if there is anyone using HX/Helix as an interface with Luna? I'm guessing the answer is no, as I've spent an hour futzing around trying to find out if there is a way to do it.  Thought I'd ask...  

Edited by guitarboy_02451
resolved

5 hours ago, guitarboy_02451 said:

Mark as solved please. The functionality doesn't exist. I'lll just have to use audio patch cables. 

Exactly.... LUNA is tied to the UA Thunderbolt interfaces. It doesn't support any 3rd party interfaces at this time. 

To mark as solved... Edit your original post then alter the title to include "solved". 

yeah luna is pretty limited right now.  I was inquiring about a good way to track without using UAD amp models with no latency since if you have ARM mode on it disables all plugins like Helix Native, and if you have it on with no plugins at all, there's really bad latency.  

In short there is no way to do that either right now.  Whatever is going on  under the hood with luna is processing the signal enough that you can't even get remotely close to low latency unless ARM is on.   Plus you can't use a 3rd party IR loader that I know of right now like Libra from STLtones.    Luna is just way early days right now, and the workflow when trying to do anything non UAD related leaves a lot to be desired.   You may want to just track in another DAW and then bring it into Luna for mixing if you really want to use Luna for the Summing and whatnot (it does sound nice tbh)

On 12/15/2020 at 6:18 AM, the_bees_knees22 said:

yeah luna is pretty limited right now.  I was inquiring about a good way to track without using UAD amp models with no latency since if you have ARM mode on it disables all plugins like Helix Native, and if you have it on with no plugins at all, there's really bad latency.  

In short there is no way to do that either right now.  Whatever is going on  under the hood with luna is processing the signal enough that you can't even get remotely close to low latency unless ARM is on.   Plus you can't use a 3rd party IR loader that I know of right now like Libra from STLtones.    Luna is just way early days right now, and the workflow when trying to do anything non UAD related leaves a lot to be desired.   You may want to just track in another DAW and then bring it into Luna for mixing if you really want to use Luna for the Summing and whatnot (it does sound nice tbh)

Right on... I went back to my old standby ProTools. Now that I have PT2020 loaded, I have the best of all worlds, UA Apollo Twin X Duo, Luna, PT, HX Stomp etc...  Loads of options now. But I have to say I didn't hear any audio issues going old fashion audio cables into my UA and then into Luna. If you have latency issues, you should put your plugs in the UA console not in the DAW. Problem is, I think only the Console loads UA plugs, which is why Helix Native probably has latency. I don't know I haven't tried it since I'm running the HX Stomp. 

For a fledgling DAW, I have to admit Luna is a great product. The developers are really in-tune with their users. I'm not keen on the work flow... the interface UX/UI needs to mature. Really big fat appearance, windows within windows, especially the mix window.. It looks like an old app from the mid-90's that was never sized well or the resolution was bad. If they could make the mix window a bit more Pro Tools-ish... that would be helpful. 

As far as console goes, my UA Apollo Twin X is fantastic and I love the ability to throw effects on and either not print or print with them or do the unison mic-pre's. Wish I had that YEARS ago. 

But it's all good... Now I just have to get creative and do something with all this gear... Creativity seems to be the hard part! 

Thanks everyone for chiming in. I think since 3.0 came out I haven't left the Princeton amp... Seems to be the probably the best amp for my taste. Rock-on everyone. 

To be fair, any "limitations" (requirements) of Luna were stated up front, and as stated, are dependant on what we have and use to run it. UA built "Luna" the way it is, "on purpose". It wasn't any accident that it requires and uses a "Thunderbolt" interface only as its hardware interface "host", and a "set" of proprietary plugins (even though it will run other VST's just fine too). So its limited only by our perspective and $$$, as in if you own all the plugins for Luna from UA and have a Thunderbolt interface (as I do), it's a pretty sweet rig. Using a pair of "audio inputs" from Helix (on any recording device) is not a limitation or setback. If it was, there wouldn't be any "Beatles" albums lol... Like a fast "sports car", you don't need one to get where you are going, but the option of having one is a nice... ; )

• Like 1

yeah you can't load a helix plugin into a UA device so there's that @guitarboy_02451  But I realized, I could just get a di box and split the signal.  1 to helix floor and 1 to my apollo twin x.  They're not all that expensive so that shouldn't be a huge deal.  I could then have my dry signal to the apollo, and my latency free monitoring signal from the helix into another channel.  boom!  all good to go. 

..or i could just use the 1/4" out on the helix to go to my apollo and just have a dry L channel for the DI and a wet R channel for monitoring, but that would be converting the signal twice which I don't really want to do. It would probably work fine though, and it would be a cheaper work around.