Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

input Z first enabled is magic

bypassvalve

just wanted to say how amazing it feels to hear the little *click of relay switching when you engage a fuzz pedal when input Z is set to first enabled. My Boss ES-8 does analog switching that fast with the little relay *tick, the only thing else that does it that fast is a hardware ABY pedal, and HX stomp is actually faster since it switches when the footswitch makes electrical contact halfway down, you don't actually have to click through the whole switch travel of a mechanical switch. it's so satisfying omfg

Am I missing the sarcasm alert?

I'm pretty sure that L6 didn't model "relay click".

What you're hearing is the sound of the guitar's pickup noise hitting the Fuzz and being reproduced by the amp.

If you set the noise gate on the input block, that noise goes away.

If I'm wrong, and it's something else you're hearing, please attach a copy of your preset so I can hear it too!

35 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

Am I missing the sarcasm alert?

I'm pretty sure that L6 didn't model "relay click".

What you're hearing is the sound of the guitar's pickup noise hitting the Fuzz and being reproduced by the amp.

If you set the noise gate on the input block, that noise goes away.

If I'm wrong, and it's something else you're hearing, please attach a copy of your preset so I can hear it too!

Call me an infernal optimist but I think the OP may have meant this more in the spirit of celebrating the new "First Active" option than as a backhanded slap about its operation. 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, HonestOpinion said:

Call me an infernal optimist but I think the OP may have meant this more in the spirit of celebrating the new "First Active" option than as a backhanded slap about its operation. 

Could be. The joys of text based communication. Meaning is sometimes elusive without the aid of vocal inflection and physical cues.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, spikey said:

What the hell does that mean!!!! 

lol...

Communication in meat-world is so much more nuanced than in the digital wonderland of the internet!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And if I spoke like that in meat-world, all my friends would move away from me at the bar...... :-)

with 'first enabled' active and a fuzz, when you engage the fuzz from bypass state, you get the tiniest little *tick from the impedance capacitor network switching over. The speed and manner in which the device has been designed to function is satisfying in a way as to remind me of only one other piece of gear that enables lightning fast seamless analog switching, Boss ES-8. 

23 minutes ago, bypassvalve said:

with 'first enabled' active and a fuzz, when you engage the fuzz from bypass state, you get the tiniest little *tick from the impedance capacitor network switching over. The speed and manner in which the device has been designed to function is satisfying in a way as to remind me of only one other piece of gear that enables lightning fast seamless analog switching, Boss ES-8. 

I don't hear it, not even on headphones, but maybe I'm using the wrong FX. If you would be so kind as to attach a copy of the preset that you're using to demonstrate this (I have both HX Floor and HX Stomp) It would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Is that noise at the window merely the wind in the trees?

Or a hungry zombie lusting after my luscious brain?

I should get up and look......where did my shotgun get to.....

WHEW! It was just the cat. Never liked that cat anyway.....

19 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

Not relay click. Pull down the Compression on the fuzz, it goes away.

what is your purpose here? comp at 0.0 and you can still hear it *pop when it switches impedance capacitor when you engage the pedal. this thread was a congratulatory demonstration. what are you doing?

12 minutes ago, bypassvalve said:

what is your purpose here? comp at 0.0 and you can still hear it *pop when it switches impedance capacitor when you engage the pedal. this thread was a congratulatory demonstration. what are you doing?

No, I don't hear it "pop", unless the compression is up. With compression at 0 there's lots of noise, but no "pop".

Nor is there a "pop" with any other effect which, if the relay noise you claim to hear were actually modeled, would not be the case.

It's nice of you to congratulate L6 on a job well done modeling the least desirable feature of stomp pedal switching (kind of like Hum and Ripple on the amps), IF it's an actual thing.

I don't think it is. 

This is where I wish Digital Igloo or Ben Adrian were here to confirm or deny.

And please, don't make it personal. There's no ulterior motive here, just a discussion of what is and isn't.

3 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

DO YOU hear it on any other effect?

i don't care about input impedance of other effects. the primary impedance sensitive effect is a fuzz pedal, the pedal's input impedance is integral to how the pedal works, this was to show what it does with a fuzz pedal. how many accounts do you have cliff

11 minutes ago, bypassvalve said:

how many accounts do you have cliff

Who is cliff, and why would that matter anyhow?

11 minutes ago, bypassvalve said:

i don't care about input impedance of other effects. the primary impedance sensitive effect is a fuzz pedal, the pedal's input impedance is integral to how the pedal works, this was to show what it does with a fuzz pedal

OK, the attached preset is an Arbitrator Fuzz and a Cali Rectifier amp.

Do you hear a pop? I don't.

bypassvalve.hlx

Depending on your signal chain, you can sometimes hear a noise from the impedance circuit switching, but I'm pretty sure it's not done via a mechanical relay. (if I'm wrong, please feel free to mock me relentlessly). It's an analog circuit, but it's probably being switched via transistor/mosfet or similar, without any actual moving parts.

The sound is just an artifact of the switchover which comes through in the audio signal. The larger the jump when the circuit switches, the louder the artifact, in my experience.

So you're both right. Sorta. Close enough? ;)