Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How many use the search feature before asking questions?

jpdennis

I thought I'd ask this question since I see many OP threads on issues and or questions concerning the Helix FX family that have been addressed in detail in existing threads with several nice solutions.  When I did a search on "use search" I found a thread in which stevekc had directed someone to use search in 2015.  I have used the feature improperly and properly in the past.  I see that the Line 6 crew have added some suggestions on how to use it once you start to use the search feature itself.  I find it useful if and when I figure out the phrase and or phrasing to use to get a result.  Not sure if this is a great question to ask but I thought I'd put it our here that it works well for me and saves me time in waiting for replies concerning issues and or needs I have.

Have others found the search feature helpful or a bother?

Dennis

image.gif

1 hour ago, jpdennis said:

....  I find it useful if and when I figure out the phrase and or phrasing to use to get a result.  ...

image.gif

I don’t find it very useful for exactly this reason. I usually abandon it before I figure out a useful keyword or phrase. 

I search before I ask, but I don't search this forum.... the search function simply isn't good enough to find what I am looking for. 

I do a Google search... and quite often it ends up pointing me to a helpful thread on these forums. 

If I want to search these forums from Google,  I add "site:line6.com/support/" to the end of my search phrase 

• Example: compatible exp pedal  site:line6.com/support/
    That example searches for the phrase "compatible exp pedal" ONLY on the Line 6 forums. 
  • Upvote 3

Have to agree with others here although unlike codamedia I may start with a forum search and then widen it to a browser search engine, depends on my mood. The search on the forum often seems to miss entries and has also been better or worse over the lifecycle of the forum There were times, particularly for a while after they did the major rewrite/change in the forum website (when they lost the emoticons, grrrrr) where the forum's search engine essentially did not work at all.

13 hours ago, jpdennis said:

Have others found the search feature helpful or a bother?

I find it a little hit and miss. 

There have been times when I was trying to find a way back to something I read from a couple of months earlier. Even if I entered a “key word” which I definitely knew was in the post - nothing comes up. Other times, you can enter a search term and it will find hundreds of totally unrelated links. 

Not logical, Captain.

The search feature here can be finicky, but the truth is 99% of people don't want to FIND an answer, they want to be GIVEN an answer. They wanna post a questions from the crapper in the morning and come back after their day and have everything laid out for them by someone with more time and inclination to service. I had to mute the FB Helix group and only check it when I feel like it for this reason. 200+ "WhY nO FiRMwAre WoRk foR mE?" posts a day is ridiculous. It would seem out of the 30k+ people in that group, 11 know how to do a search.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, gunpointmetal said:

They wanna post a questions from the crapper in the morning and come back after their day and have everything laid out for them by someone

OK where is your toilet Cam!!!>?!?!?!?!? 

; )

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/13/2020 at 4:50 PM, codamedia said:

I search before I ask, but I don't search this forum.... the search function simply isn't good enough to find what I am looking for. 

I do a Google search... and quite often it ends up pointing me to a helpful thread on these forums. 

If I want to search these forums from Google,  I add "site:line6.com/support/" to the end of my search phrase 

• Example: compatible exp pedal  site:line6.com/support/
    That example searches for the phrase "compatible exp pedal" ONLY on the Line 6 forums. 

I didn't think about that ... thanks!

• Like 1

On 12/14/2020 at 1:50 AM, codamedia said:

Same as I do, I often end up here or on TGP. One thing though, is that an answer in an old thread might be not relevant any more due to the new firmware developments.