Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix not recognized in Mac after 3.01 Firmware Update

jeancouture25

Hello everyone,

Bizzare issue here, I've just updated the firmware from version 2.8 to 3.01.

After a reboot on my imac el capitain 10.11.6. HX Edit doesn't see my device at all. It doesn't show up in my device list. the helix floor has lost complete communication with my mac. I've tried uninstalling all of the drivers and reinstalling them as well as older drivers to no avail. I've tried a global reset hoping that it might reset the firmware, but the reset doesn't bring back the firmware to Version 1. I also have a PC that I tried troubleshooting from with no avail as well.

P.S I did check all of my cables.

Some help would be very much appreciated!!  

35 minutes ago, jeancouture25 said:

Hello everyone,

Bizzare issue here, I've just updated the firmware from version 2.8 to 3.01.

After a reboot on my imac el capitain 10.11.6. HX Edit doesn't see my device at all. It doesn't show up in my device list. the helix floor has lost complete communication with my mac. I've tried uninstalling all of the drivers and reinstalling them as well as older drivers to no avail. I've tried a global reset hoping that it might reset the firmware, but the reset doesn't bring back the firmware to Version 1. I also have a PC that I tried troubleshooting from with no avail as well.

P.S I did check all of my cables.

Some help would be very much appreciated!!  

First thing to do is install HX Edit 3.0 with all checkboxes checked. You likely have an old editor version. Updating the firmware is only half the update process. Doesn't hurt to uninstall your other HX software and drivers first, especially if you have experimented with multiple versions.

On 12/14/2020 at 1:59 AM, jeancouture25 said:

I've tried a global reset hoping that it might reset the firmware, but the reset doesn't bring back the firmware to Version 1.

You might be misunderstanding how the reset function works. It doesn’t revert the firmware to version 1.

First you need to eliminate things that may be the cause of the problem. But before anything else, as mentioned by “HonestOpinion” in the post above, please ensure that you have HX Edit v.3.0 installed. Then remove the USB cable from your Helix and computer. Now, turn your Helix off and then on. Next, reconnect the USB to the Helix and computer. Launch HX Edit 3.0 and see if it connects now. If not read on.

When you installed the new v.3.01 firmware, on completion your Helix Floor unit should have restarted and gone through the process of rebuilding the Presets. You will also notice the new startup screen so that you can be certain that you’re running 3.01. If your unit has successfully performed this routine, then the hardware should be ready to use.if not the; there could be an issue with the hardware, or the USB connection.

There are several Reset Options including one which restores the factory settings.- see list.

Reset Options

Helix Floor/LT

Button Combination

Description

LED light Fun

3 & 4

Test Mode

5 & 6

Global reset

7 & 8

Reset setlists to factory, Keep IRs

8 & 9

Reset setlists to factory, Clear IRs

9 & 10

Reset setlists to factory, Global reset, Clear IRs

10 & 11

Upgrades existing presets to latest format

11 & 12

Clear current preset

5 & 12

Clear setlists, clear IRs, Return system settings to default

6 & 12

Safe boot mode

To use Reset Options:

• Power off the Helix
  • Hold the desired button combination
  • Power on the Helix
  • Release the button combination

Please note: Buttons are numbered from top left to bottom right.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Thank you HonestOpinion and datacommando for both of your replies! I have already tried removing HX Edit and any other evidence of Line 6 being installed on the Mac. I have tried installing HX Edit 3.0 with all of the boxes checked but. The Helix Floor is still not recognized at all. "No Device Connected" Says the same thing when I tried it on My PC.

32 minutes ago, jeancouture25 said:

Thank you HonestOpinion and datacommando for both of your replies! I have already tried removing HX Edit and any other evidence of Line 6 being installed on the Mac. I have tried installing HX Edit 3.0 with all of the boxes checked but. The Helix Floor is still not recognized at all. "No Device Connected" Says the same thing when I tried it on My PC.

Have you also tried rebooting your Mac and then a different USB cable and swapping USB ports?

47 minutes ago, jeancouture25 said:

Hi again,

I realise that you are telling us that your Helix is failing to connect to your computer over USB. What is not clear to me is - does your Helix complete the boot routine showing the new screen, or does it fail with a completely blank screen? Also, if the Helix doesn’t start up correctly, did you try a factory reset using Foot Switches 5&12 while turning the power on?

4 hours ago, jeancouture25 said:

The helix updated to 3.01 successfully and does display the new screen. It's after this was all set and done I've rebooted my mac and Helix the following day to it not connecting to the mac anymore. "No Device Connected" in HX Edit. 

Excellent, now we know that the hardware has not completely malfunctioned and it still works as a multi-effect and amp modelling box. 

The real issue that remains is a USB communication problem between both your Mac and/or PC and and the Helix.

Now that is narrowed down to the basics, we can try to find a solution to the problem.

Thanks for the clarification.

Just throwing this out there...

I updated just fine with a Mac using the "Catalina" OS. El-Capitan is a 2015 OS release, almost 6 years old, and altho I have no proof it wont run Helix 3.01 correctly, Id still upgrade. 

But that's just me...

On 12/14/2020 at 2:59 AM, jeancouture25 said:

imac el capitain 10.11.6

11 hours ago, spikey said:

El-Capitan is a 2015 OS release, almost 6 years old, and altho I have no proof it wont run Helix 3.01 correctly, Id still upgrade. 

HX Edit 3.0 and Firmware 3.01 (HX Stomp here) run perfectly on El Capitan. And by "perfectly" I mean that unlike the previous version, HX Edit is now again able to connect to the line6.com server and log into your account. That wasn't possible before the update.

The only thing that won't work reliably on El Capitan is the Helix driver 1.0.9.

Use Helix Driver 1.0.7 instead!

If there are issues, make sure to uninstall all Line 6 components from your Mac first, reboot, then reinstall.

36 minutes ago, lou-kash said:

The only thing that won't work reliably on El Capitan is the Helix driver 1.0.9.

Use Helix Driver 1.0.7 instead!

Hi,

While this is true for the Mac platform, it’s my understanding that the OP has also tried a Windows PC to get the Helix to show up over the USB. No success with either OS - class this as yet more unexplainable USB voodoo. The only info available from Line 6 regarding the mystery of USB connection is from 2006. In 14 years - no changes there!

• Upvote 1

Thank you so much for the help! Using Datacomando's Instructions down below made it work instantly! Thanks again!

"Ensure that you have HX Edit v.3.0 installed. Then remove the USB cable from your Helix and computer. Now, turn your Helix off and then on. Next ,reconnect the USB to the Helix and computer. Launch HX Edit 3.0 and see if it connects now."

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Hi

I have exactly the same problem with HX Effects updated to 3.02 and HX Edit 3 on macOS Big Sur 12.2.2.

I tried different cables on different USB ports.

I tried with another Windows 10 laptop.

Nothing works and HX Edit keeps displaying the "No device connected" message.

I've just tried the process that worked with jeancouture25 with no success.

HX Edit was working fine with the same Mac/cables because I was able to launch it in order to do firmware update.

Thanks for your help

I have the same problem here. I was going from 2.71 i guess to 3.01. First i made a backup. Then i updated the Helix Edit to 3.0 and from there i tried to update. During this process there was an error.  After that it said no divice connected. I use mac os Catalina

If i use footswitch 5 & 12 the display is blank with only a red stripe, all the small displays are also empty, so not going back to factory presets.

Anyone ?

• 2 months later...

Same with 3.10 and Catalina for me.  Line6 advised to reinstall HX Edit and try with no other applications running.  When I originally upgraded Helix and HD Edit, I got a new cable as the old one did not connect.  The new cable allowed me to update, and it reconnected after coming up......but.....It advised me to factory reset.  I did this, and got a bunch of different presets,......but.....ever since that day, I've not been able to connect.  I tried installing 3.1 also.  Has anyone not having luck previously had any luck since the last posts?  I'm so very sad not having my Randy Rhodes setting anymore.

On 4/29/2021 at 8:40 PM, ptkelly13 said:

Same with 3.10 and Catalina for me.  Line6 advised to reinstall HX Edit and try with no other applications running.  When I originally upgraded Helix and HD Edit, I got a new cable as the old one did not connect.  The new cable allowed me to update, and it reconnected after coming up......but.....It advised me to factory reset.  I did this, and got a bunch of different presets,......but.....ever since that day, I've not been able to connect.  I tried installing 3.1 also.  Has anyone not having luck previously had any luck since the last posts?  I'm so very sad not having my Randy Rhodes setting anymore.

I would uninstall the Line6 software and then download and reinstall HX Edit 3.10. Try swapping around USB ports and cables.  Try another PC if you have one available.  

Ben Vesco has most(all?) of the old factory presets stored on his site. Scroll down towards the bottom of this link. 

http://benvesco.com/store/line-6-helix/

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Sorry for the Zombie thread, but I figured something out in regards to this issue. for some reason, my Mac wouldn't connect regardless of which cable I used or which port I plugged it into, which order I powered on, etc. I just remembered that one time I read that some devices need to be run though an adapter because of the way apple connections work with other, maybe less high-quality connections, function. I plugged it into a random dock I had laying around and the helix connected. repeatedly. This seems to have fixed this specific issue when trying to connect. 

Hope it helps someone.