Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix HX Stomp - 2 questions

ThomThom098

1. Where can the individual effect / amp / cab settings be found ? For example, in the manual p.30, "Common Amp Settings" are indicated for amps but where can one find the actual real ones for each ?

2. The Stomp has not got the Digital L6 link out like the Helix or the LT have. Will that make the useage of a power cab (like the 112 plus)  less "good" ? Like less control or additional delay between gears ? Sound quality affected in the end ?

1. I'm not sure what you mean by 'the actual real ones'. Each amp has a default setting which is the set of amp parameter values that you will see when you add the amp to a preset by selecting it from the list of available amps, rather than by copying it from some other source. I presume these default settings are what you mean. There is no document from Line 6 (or maybe anywhere) that details these default settings. If you want to answer this question in detail you will likely have to do it yourself by brute force, examining each amp's default  individually. Having done so it would be a useful service to the community to publish your findings here. That way, the next time someone on the forum asks the same question we will be able to point them to your document!

Note that as of firmware 3.0 you can customize the detailed settings of any amp (or other block) and save it as your own personal default, in a User Model, or Favorite.

Thanks !,

What I mean:

- for example on the Fender Champ, are you going to find volume as "actual real setting" when selecting the amp model like the real one or are you going to find what they call the Common Amp Setting p.30 of the manual, i.e. Master, Sag, Hum, Ripple, Bias and Bias X ?

- On Princeton Reverb, are you going to see Volume - Treble - Bass - Reverb - Speed - Intensity like on the real one as settings ?

Thanks.

This may help.

https://helixhelp.com/

I know what you mean, the Princess (princeton) doesn't have a mid, but line 6 does.  My logic says leave on the default setting (ie, princess is at 7), then only use bass and treble?  Im not sure, it's a good question.   Interesting you mentioned the Champ, so many different versions.  I think Line 6 champ is based on the 57 or so tweed?  only a volume control, but we still have lots of "tone shaping" with the full controls.

What it do know is Line 6 does not include the amps effects (reverb, vibrato, etc) you need to add them as effects after.

Edit: Can't help with your second question.

Thanks, it really helps, it gets a bit clearer. I guess I'd need to see a screen view of the settings available for the Champ as an example (likely the 5F1 Tweed yes, most famous circuit) but without the HX equipment and the Edit software I guess this is not available anywhere

PS: Ah it is available in the link you put - all good, thanks. That's a lot of settings for a Champ compared to the real one indeed !

10 minutes ago, Joepeggio said:

This may help.

https://helixhelp.com/

I know what you mean, the Princess (princeton) doesn't have a mid, but line 6 does.  My logic says leave on the default setting (ie, princess is at 7), then only use bass and treble?  Im not sure, it's a good question.   Interesting you mentioned the Champ, so many different versions.  I think Line 6 champ is based on the 57 or so tweed?  only a volume control, but we still have lots of "tone shaping" with the full controls.

What it do know is Line 6 does not include the amps effects (reverb, vibrato, etc) you need to add them as effects after.

Edit: Can't help with your second question.

For extra tone stack controls like that, the setting that represents the actual amp is 5. The default settings are just what whoever dialed in the settings thought sounded best.

For non-master volume amps, the having the Master at 10 represents the real settings. For Presence, 0 represents the real settings.

I believe for all the other exposed power amp settings, 5 is the neutral setting that represent the actual unaltered amp.

32 minutes ago, ThomThom098 said:

Thanks !,

What I mean:

- for example on the Fender Champ, are you going to find volume as "actual real setting" when selecting the amp model like the real one or are you going to find what they call the Common Amp Setting p.30 of the manual, i.e. Master, Sag, Hum, Ripple, Bias and Bias X ?

- On Princeton Reverb, are you going to see Volume - Treble - Bass - Reverb - Speed - Intensity like on the real one as settings ?

Thanks.

Hi,

It might be advisable to read the info contained on this site as it covers the things you are asking about, such as, if a real world amp doesn't have a presence control, but it is on the amp model in your Stomp. See here for all the "invented control" stuff:

https://helixhelp.com/manuals/helix/the-blocks#common-amp-settings

Hope this helps/makes sense

Damn - too late - it's been done!

2 minutes ago, phil_m said:

For extra tone stack controls like that, the setting that represents the actual amp is 5. The default settings are just what whoever dialed in the settings thought sounded best.

For non-master volume amps, the having the Master at 10 represents the real settings. For Presence, 0 represents the real settings.

I believe for all the other exposed power amp settings, 5 is the neutral setting that represent the actual unaltered amp.

Excellent info,  thanks!!

5 minutes ago, ThomThom098 said:

No one up for question 2 ? :-)

I'll take that one, as I have HX Floor, HX Stomp AND PC112+.

To use the Stomp with the Powercab, you need to connect:

A 1/4" shielded cable (TS or TRS) from HXS Output L/Mono to Input 1 on the Powercab

A MIDI cable (5-pin DIN) from HXS MIDI OUT to the Powercab MIDI IN

Each Preset needs to use the Instant Commands in the CommandCenter (added in v3.0) to set the Powercab as desired.

The Instant Commands are sent each time the Preset loads, and with each Snapshot when the Snapshots load.

That allows configuration changes per Snapshot.

The necessary commands are listed in the Powercab Manual.

Using L6 Link eliminates the AD/DA conversion between the audio Output and Input. Using the audio Ins/Outs adds latency - approx 2-3ms.

NBD unless you're Steve Vai (TGP reference).

Some people claim that they can also hear a tonal difference added by that conversion. Some people believe in the Easter Bunny.

Q: Why does the Easter Bunny deliver custom colored eggs to children?

A: Because dyed rabbit's feet would be GROSS!

Cue Drum Roll............

3 hours ago, ThomThom098 said:

Thanks !,

What I mean:

Thanks.

Don't obsess over any particular setting(s)... no matter what the defaults are, you're still going to have to turn knobs until it sounds good. And once it sounds good, the final resting place for all those knobs is irrelevant... no matter what you'd expect a given model's real world counterpart to sound like with those same settings... modeling is it's own weird little world.

• Like 1