Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Do I need the big Helix floor unit?

arneolav

Hey,

looking for some advice from you experienced Helix users. A backdrop:

after a long time using Kemper (+ tons of amps), I bought the HX Stomp out of curiousity. My second go on the Helix platform (briefly tested the big floorboard a couple of years ago), I'm pretty impressed, especially after ditching the built in cabs (I can't make them sound anything other than garbage, surely my fault) for IRs from York & ML Audio. Kemper might have a slight edge in sounding exactly like your modeled amp, but the Helix is a different philosophy with a much more streamlined and pleasing workflow and a selection of great sounding amps, especially coupled with good IRs. The IRs are half the sound, imho, so I'm currently having fun dialling in different ones.

I've used the HX Stomp live (yes, still the odd concert albeit with seating limitations) on a few occasions, and contemplating whether the big Helix will make things better & easier.  

Here's the thing: I need to run amp, effects + a couple of IRs to FOH, with a split before the cabs to go directly into my amp (either a power amp or whatever the venue offers, for stage-oomph). I can do this in HX stomp (and it sounds great), but I quickly run into limitations. The split needs to be before the cabs, so all the FX needs to be before the split to be carried over into both FOH and my stage amp. As I use 2 IRs blended (not equally loud), this means that I cannot go stereo into the FOH. NOt a problem in most cases, but sometimes I'd like to be able to go stereo to FOH while having a mono signal with fx to the stage amp. I can live with listening to myself thru the monitor wedges, but for the situations where I need my own monitor (rehearsals, stage oomph), I need something other than FRFR (+ I don't like the Power Cabs).

Any experience out there as to how you route your Helix for both FOH and an onstage amp? Will the bigger Helix bring routing capabilities and power to do things I cannot imagine on the Stomp (e.g. running two amps/fx-chains in parallel, one for FOH in stereo and one for the stage amp?)?

Sounds like the Helix Floor would solve all your issues and provide lots of additional flexibility, including double the DSP of your HX Stomp, ample I/O configurations, Scribble Strips, and an Expression pedal just to name a few.... Go for it! You may also find that the buy a Helix Floor and get the free Helix Backpack deal (while supplies last) may still be ongoing. Check with your dealer or Sweetwater, etc. Should the Helix Floor not suit you, most of the dealers accept returns.