Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

helikyler

Hey all. This is going to sound dumb but I would love to get some (constructive) thoughts on this...

I  use my POD HD500X as a pedalboard for its great reverbs, delays, overdrive, modulation, etc. through my VHT Special 6 Ultra combo for guitar and pedal steel guitar. My pedal steel does not have an onboard tone or volume control, which is pretty common for those. Many players use a compact preamp mounted to their steel guitar so they can make tweaks to volume and tone on the fly. I don't intend to use amp emulation most of the time but I may do it on occasion to go direct to the board at church or a gig.

• Question: what is your best method to use the HD500X as a pre-amp? 
    • Subquestion: can I use the hardware knobs to modify treble/mid/bass/presence/volume (sound) without emulating an amp or cabinet?
    • Subqueston:  can this be done without using a pedal chain slot?

Currently I am using the HD500X with Studio/Direct output mode and input Z set to 3.5m or 1m to neutralize any color to the signal (many, many thanks to @hurghanico for their invaluable advice!) . But I'd like to be able to shape the tone and maybe add a little boost, ideally without using one of the available blocks in the pedal chain.

May you have a very Merry Christmas, strong health and the unmistakeable peace of the presence of the Lord this season!

First, I will say to you the same thing I have said to numerous people - 

Buying this device with no intentions of using the amp modeling is like buying a Ferrari for the purpose of driving from the garage to the end of the driveway to pick up your mail. 

2 hours ago, helikyler said:

Question: what is your best method to use the HD500X as a pre-amp? 

• Subquestion: can I use the hardware knobs to modify treble/mid/bass/presence/volume (sound) without emulating an amp or cabinet?
  • Subqueston:  can this be done without using a pedal chain slot?

No, the knobs don't work that way. 

Unfortunately the physical EQ knobs on the device work exclusively as controls of the guitar/bass amp models (if any and active in the virtual chain) and as such they can't be used for any other purpose. And all guitar/bass amp models always color the signal (not necessarily a bad thing but that's how it works).

However you could consider as flat response (ie not specifically tailored for guitar/bass but for anything) pre-amps the available EQ effects, especially the ones provided with a general GAIN control (Studio EQ, mid focus EQ, vintage pre).

If you choose an EQ effect and move the pointer over it on the screen you can use the rotary encoders knobs under the screen to tweak its parameters as needed. And if you save the patch directly on the device while the pointer is over the EQ when you re-call that patch the pointer will be already in the same position. Ie the pointer position is always saved along the other current parameters values.

If you want you can also assign one or more or all EQ parameters to be controlled live at the same time by the pedal. Eg by moving the pedal you can increase the GAIN and decrease the BASS frequency/bands at the same time with just one move of the pedal, etc. etc.

Merry Christmas to you too and thanks for your kind words.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

As usual, thank you @hurghanico for your helpful response. I'm going to give an EQ effect a shot and adjust as you say. I don't think I'll need to do a ton of tone adjustments once I set it up, so not having the big knobs available won't be a big problem. I'm happy to drive my Ferrari on the road and not use 6th gear, which I think is a better metaphor.

31 minutes ago, pianoguyy said:

First, I will say to you the same thing I have said to numerous people - 

Buying this device with no intentions of using the amp modeling is like buying a Ferrari for the purpose of driving from the garage to the end of the driveway to pick up your mail. 

No, the knobs don't work that way. 

If you say so...  but it's an excellent pedalboard with a built-in expression pedal. I don't need an amp emulator but it's worth the $ for the effects, recording interface, looper and the compact package. Several years into owning it and I'm still learning new things I can do with it beyond the driveway.

• 1 month later...

Are you aware that each amp model also has just a pre-amp model of the same name? Eg; Panama Pre? 

I believe, if I read your post correctly, that this is your solution;

Choose an empty patch

On the amp block, scroll through with knob 1 until you find a pre-amp model that you think suits your purpose

With knob 2, scroll anticlockwise until cab model reads “none”. (Sometimes it sounds better with the cab model on)

Now you can still use the Drive, EQ, and Volume knobs as normal

Your HD is now operating as just a pre-amp model with full knob control

Now having said all that, we’re dealing with digital models. Sometimes modelled amps sound great into real life amps. For a while, on stage, I was running my HD500X into a 50w Vox MV50 Clean guitar amp, to a 2x12 cabinet. Some of my patches sounded better just using a pre-amp model and no cab simulation, some patches sounded better using a chain of FX with all amp and cab sims off. Some patches worked with pre-amp and cab sim on, and believe it or not, some patches, especially clean tones, sounded amazing with all amp and cab sims on. 

My point is, that with modelling equipment, it’s really a case of “if it sounds good, it is good”