Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is reverb "spill over" possible?

Dremag

I cant get reverb spill over to work.

If you are familiar with the Solid Gold FX Surf Rider pedal, you'll know that you can control the reverb depth via an expression pedal. This is awesome because you can make on the fly adjustments to the depth of the reverb. Also, the reverb that is generated, is not affected by subsequent expression pedal adjustments. It's just "spills over". Great for on the fly reverb stabs. Demonstrated here: https://youtu.be/wcOtj6weHHM?t=205

Is there any way to do this with the Helix? I've tried mapping Reverb Block Depth and Mix controls to my expression with Trails set to "on" but, no matter what I do, adjusting the expression pedal affects the Depth/Mix of previously generated reverb which deletes the spill over effect. I've also tried doing this with an outboard reverb through the effects loop thinking I could adjust the mix there but, same thing. Trails works fine when bypassing the verb but, I cant get spill over to work. 

Has anybody found a way to do this? Thankyou.

5 hours ago, Dremag said:

I cant get reverb spill over to work.

If you are familiar with the Solid Gold FX Surf Rider pedal, you'll know that you can control the reverb depth via an expression pedal. This is awesome because you can make on the fly adjustments to the depth of the reverb. Also, the reverb that is generated, is not affected by subsequent expression pedal adjustments. It's just "spills over". Great for on the fly reverb stabs. Demonstrated here: https://youtu.be/wcOtj6weHHM?t=205

Is there any way to do this with the Helix? I've tried mapping Reverb Block Depth and Mix controls to my expression with Trails set to "on" but, no matter what I do, adjusting the expression pedal affects the Depth/Mix of previously generated reverb which deletes the spill over effect. I've also tried doing this with an outboard reverb through the effects loop thinking I could adjust the mix there but, same thing. Trails works fine when bypassing the verb but, I cant get spill over to work. 

Has anybody found a way to do this? Thankyou.

Tested this on the Helix and watched the video link you provided but I am not sure I see what you mean. Not to question your assessment of how the Surf Rider pedal works but are you sure what you like about that pedal is "spillover"? I thought the Surf Rider pedal in the video worked pretty similar to a Reverb block with its parameter(s) assigned to an expression pedal on the Helix. Maybe I missed something. Seeing as how an expression pedal is "continuous" I don't how see it would have accomplished the behavior you describe unless it was able to detect for example the depth or mix at only the first position of the pedal and generate those trails as it then moved to ramping through the depth setting as you depressed the pedal. Sound possible but unlikely.  It would make more sense to me that the depth parameter would instead change dynamically in real time(like the Helix reverbs).  It might not be spillover but perhaps some other settings that might explain why you like that pedal's behavior. Maybe someone else here can provide some specifics on how to get you closer to that.

One suggestion might be to experiment with your Reverb block's Predelay and Decay settings to get this working more the way you like it when used with the expression pedal.

Lastly, switching between two snapshots with two different but fixed depth settings is probably not what you are looking for although it offers a less flexible option that would provide spillover between the two snapshots. As you mentioned, make sure 'Trails' = "On". With the new 'Preset Spillover'  global option you can use this approach with presets as well as snapshots now.

Unfortunately, this is *not* possible using only the reverb block and the expression pedal. For this effect to work as in the video, you'd have to create a split path, keep one path dry and slap the reverb into the other one. In case you're using a Split A/B (which I recommend), all you'd have to do is to assign the "Route To" parameter to your expression pedal. That way, it'll work exactly as the pedal in the video.
Let me know if I should create a demo patch.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SaschaFranck said:

Unfortunately, this is *not* possible using only the reverb block and the expression pedal. For this effect to work as in the video, you'd have to create a split path, keep one path dry and slap the reverb into the other one. In case you're using a Split A/B (which I recommend), all you'd have to do is to assign the "Route To" parameter to your expression pedal. That way, it'll work exactly as the pedal in the video.

That's it! I used the Split A/B approach you recommended and it worked like a champ. Thanks so much. 

3 hours ago, SaschaFranck said:

Great solution, wish I'd thought of it :-) It addressed the OP's question better than I was able to.  I don't think of spillover as combining a dry and dry/wet signal but I guess that was just the ticket. Good ears!

• Like 1

However, I'm now learning all about this: 

As I sweep the expression pedal I get what sounds like the mentioned +3db level increase at the half way point. I'm looking for an even sweep all the way through so, wondering if there are any tricks for countering that effect. Experimenting with the mix block atm.