Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Acoustic sim for Pod Go?

mattthompsonbmc

Hello folks.  Just curious if anyone can say if there's a chance of an acoustic sim coming to the Pod Go.  I love everything it does, at least for what i need.  The ONLY thing i can't get is acoustic tones.  I guess worse case scenario i could just buy an acoustic electric and use the woody amp/cab block, but i'm curious.

My money is on us seeing acoustic sim included in the next firmware update along with all the new amp models. I'm also betting we'll see many of the new effects blocks but zero of the poly pitch blocks. It's all speculation. We'll have to wait and see.

On 12/20/2020 at 7:12 AM, malhavok said:

My money is on us seeing acoustic sim included in the next firmware update along with all the new amp models. I'm also betting we'll see many of the new effects blocks but zero of the poly pitch blocks. It's all speculation. We'll have to wait and see.

I'd go along with that - more importantly, I'd really like to see 2 (or at least 1 to allow scope for the most common mix of a compressor, delay, reverb, distortion, and modulation) extra user FX blocks added akin to HX Stomp going up from 6 to 8.  It won't give more DSP power, but it will give Pod Go more flexibility - 4 blocks was always overly restrictive.  

• 3 months later...

With the new release of 1.21 firmware, I'm excited to try out the acoustic sim.  What I don't know is what amp/cap should be used with it, as it is an EQ block.  Should I create a preset that has amp and cab disabled?  Is there a preamp option that should be used?

Any clean amp will be OK. I like it with no guitar amp and the Studio Tube preamp. Suggested Settings: Line sensitivity; Gain approx. 2; Level 10; play around with Hi/Lo cut - they make a big difference. I also use an acoustic guitar IR as the first block in the signal chain. Google "Free Acoustic IRs".

Yeah it's surprisingly not bad!  It doesn't sound 100% like a real acoustic, but, it can kinda sound like a piezzo PU, anyway, sounds closer to an acoustic than just a regular single coil PU.

Hmmm..  Slightly bugged in PGO edit though, when you try to select the amp sim, it just resets back to the 1st node with the noise gate and guitar selection...  It's like it selects the correct block for 1/10th of a second, then goes back to input/noisegate ... !   But now it stopped... Hmmmm...  Strange...!  Anyway, cool feature!  :D

• 2 weeks later...

I use a Takamine Acoustic- Electric with usual Piezo pickup.  Purchased an acoustic IR from 3 Sigma audio (Taylor 524) for about 10 USD, which Pod Go can read.  Added some light Room reverb and Compression.  Use also an EQ for a volume boost because acoustic IR's are usually less loud than normal electric guitar patches. 

The sound is UNBELIEVABLE.  Like a mic-d acoustic in a professional studio, zero feedback, no tinny Piezo (Ovation) type sound. 

tg

1 hour ago, trainguy said:

I use a Takamine Acoustic- Electric with usual Piezo pickup.  Purchased an acoustic IR from 3 Sigma audio (Taylor 524) for about 10 USD, which Pod Go can read.  Added some light Room reverb and Compression.  Use also an EQ for a volume boost because acoustic IR's are usually less loud than normal electric guitar patches. 

The sound is UNBELIEVABLE.  Like a mic-d acoustic in a professional studio, zero feedback, no tinny Piezo (Ovation) type sound. 

tg

Interesting. Does the acoustic IR simply load into the usual speaker cab block? 

Using Pod Go Edit you see 3 folders, Factory, User and Impluses., typically pink colored by default.  Then you use one of these IR's instead of a cab inside the Cab block.  The purchased IR package comes with various folders for the type of guitar you are using.  There is an electric, an acoustic with a magnetic pickup and an acoustic with Piezo each with various mic distances.  I didn't have much luck with the first 2, maybe with some tweaking it could work.  But Piezo with a Takamine really works.

Pod Go signal chain is then:

IR - Preamp - Volume - 3band comp - Parametric EQ - Chamber reverb

tg