Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Global EQ

vinnykeenan

Hi Folks, I wonder if anyone else on here could see the benefit of being able to have more than one Global EQ option.
I have to fine tune mine for house, live, going FOH and backline and reckon it would be a fine addition.
So having the ability to have a list of Global EQ presets ? 

• Like 1

Good idea, wrong forum. This is where you go if you're serious about suggestions for changes and improvements:

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/index

Before posting a new idea, please search to see if it's already been proposed. If 100 people vote on the same idea presented 20 different ways, it looks like only 5 people care about it!

Also, post your ideas one at a time. I for one NEVER vote for multple combined suggestions.

I could see it to be useful if you're using it at home or at practice where there isn't any PA involved.  But if you need to correct for a venue and you're using a PA, ALL INSTRUMENTS AND VOCALS WILL NEED THE SAME CORRECTION.  Doing it only for your Helix would get your screwed up the moment the person running the PA runs a Real Time Analyzer (RTA) and corrects at the board for the room acoustics.  You'll probably stick out like a sore thumb.

30 minutes ago, DunedinDragon said:

I could see it to be useful if you're using it at home or at practice where there isn't any PA involved.  But if you need to correct for a venue and you're using a PA, ALL INSTRUMENTS AND VOCALS WILL NEED THE SAME CORRECTION.  Doing it only for your Helix would get your screwed up the moment the person running the PA runs a Real Time Analyzer (RTA) and corrects at the board for the room acoustics.  You'll probably stick out like a sore thumb.

You are assuming the global EQ is applied to all outs. In my case, I only run my personal monitoring out (via TRS) through the global EQ to compensate for different stages and/or monitoring scenarios. I send a signal without global EQ the FOH way. Works absolutely great.

2 hours ago, SaschaFranck said:

I think the resources used up by the global EQ are minimal.

I think 3.25-4.25% of a single DSP according to https://benvesco.com/store/helix-dsp-allocations/
Maybe less considering present Global EQ already blocks DSP resources.
So yes, if that resources can be shared between patches and globals.

19 minutes ago, zolko60 said:

I think 3.25-4.25% of a single DSP according to https://benvesco.com/store/helix-dsp-allocations/
Maybe less considering present Global EQ already blocks DSP resources.
So yes, if that resources can be shared between patches and globals.

Definitely a high enough percentage that much as I would love to see multiple global EQs, would only want them if only the one in use was taking up any DSP.

7 hours ago, zolko60 said:

Sure - but these are reserved anyway. Switching the global EQ off won't free up any CPU resources.

7 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

Definitely a high enough percentage that much as I would love to see multiple global EQs, would only want them if only the one in use was taking up any DSP.

Why would it not be that way? I mean, global EQ presets would be nothing else but favourite presets.

54 minutes ago, SaschaFranck said:

Sure - but these are reserved anyway. Switching the global EQ off won't free up any CPU resources.

Why would it not be that way? I mean, global EQ presets would be nothing else but favourite presets.

I would have thought only the currently active global EQ would eat DSP as well. The prevailing wisdom on the forum for quite a while now has been that the single global EQ preset that is currently available stays resident and takes up DSP at all times, active or not. At some point that was extrapolated to "if we had multiple global EQs available they would all have to be resident at all times". That has never seemed like it should be the case to me either. 

4 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

I would have thought only the currently active global EQ would eat DSP as well.

Sure - but still, that amount of DSP power is "reserved in any case" as you can still activate the global EQ on even the most maxed out presets.

And as far as multiple global EQs go, that's really not necessary. The option to save presets would be sufficient.

• Upvote 1

For those playing live it could be useful to have an eq for each output. This is something Kemper have gradually implement, with hi and lo pass finally arriving.

It would be useful to have a DSP counter in HX Edit? I know the problem is likely to be the Stomp having one processor against two in full Helix that use the same editor. The count could be per processor though. 

4 hours ago, karlic said:

For those playing live it could be useful to have an eq for each output. This something Kemper have gradually implement, with hi and lo pass finally arriving.

For all my use cases, so far the single global EQ was absolutely sufficient. I usually only need it for my personal monitoring path to adjust things according to the stage and monitoring scenario and send the XLR out straight to FOH. The FOH mixer can then do whatever he/she thinks would be appropriate (you need to trust them anyway) and I wouldn't even want to deal with another set of global patch modifications for that very signal.

Apart from all that, why I can understand the wish for global EQ presets, I never really felt they'd be too useful for me personally. I have the most important frequency bands pre-prepared, so I can adjust things in a matter of seconds. It's not that I'd be doing huge changes, either, most often it's a little low cut to reduce whatever boom and maybe a slight but broad mid boost to kinda compensate for Fletcher Munson.

5 minutes ago, SaschaFranck said:

For all my use cases, so far the single global EQ was absolutely sufficient. I usually only need it for my personal monitoring path to adjust things according to the stage and monitoring scenario and send the XLR out straight to FOH. The FOH mixer can then do whatever he/she thinks would be appropriate (you need to trust them anyway) and I wouldn't even want to deal with another set of global patch modifications for that very signal.

Apart from all that, why I can understand the wish for global EQ presets, I never really felt they'd be too useful for me personally. I have the most important frequency bands pre-prepared, so I can adjust things in a matter of seconds. It's not that I'd be doing huge changes, either, most often it's a little low cut to reduce whatever boom and maybe a slight but broad mid boost to kinda compensate for Fletcher Munson.

I'd agree and usually make patches specifically for live and avoid overall eq. If you globally change the sound, if affects not only a fizzy overdrive, but also a clean that might need different notches.

The best thing is to get feedback from engineers when possible.

8 hours ago, SaschaFranck said:

Sure - but still, that amount of DSP power is "reserved in any case" as you can still activate the global EQ on even the most maxed out presets.

And as far as multiple global EQs go, that's really not necessary. The option to save presets would be sufficient.

Yup, only the current global EQ setting would need to be have DSP allotted. There is already btw a parameter that allows you to select which outputs you want the global EQ to affect which provides some flexibility at least for those who would like to have two or three global EQs active simultaneously.