Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Question: HD500X - Make Studio One 3 switch effetcs via MIDI.

Kosmonopol_JJ

Hi guys,

my band has recently started using Studio One 3 to send the song tempo using MIDI to all other devices.

(if anybody curious, the devices are: Korg Kronos, Line6 HD500X and Line6 Helix LT)

We do change tempos during our songs, so classic metronome wouldn’t do in our case.

We’d also like to program the Studio One to switch the effects for both bassist and the guitarist.

Does anyone have experience how to do this?

Should the Line6 effects be set up in any specific way?

Are any special plugin(s) neeed for Studio One?

Given we would like to have the effects changed for both Line6 HD500X and Helx LT:

Is any setup synchronization needed for the devices - e.g. same effect names, same structure, any hierarchy settings?

What needs to be done?

If you have any idea or experience, your help would be very much appreciated.

I have some experience with MIDI (especially for keyboards, audio/midi interfaces and DAW interactions) but to be honest till now I've never used any DAW to remotely control my device (HD500) automatically.

However this is what I think you should do:

make sure that the device connected via MIDI directly to the DAW has the MIDI OUT port configured as MIDI THRU, the second (chained) device will be connected to the latter and in this way will be able to receive (through the first device) its own MIDI commands independently.

Each device must be set to a different MIDI channel number.

In regard to the POD (the only device I own of the two mentioned above) I know that once connected via MIDI it responds (on the set MIDI channel number) to MIDI program change commands following the scheme:

value 0-63 for Preset 01A - 16D for the desired Preset within the current Set List .

If you also want to control the effects contained in the currently selected Preset, the necessary MIDI commands are listed in the following table: 

CFx6gm9.png

In conclusion, read in the Helix manual the MIDI scheme for preset changes and the MIDI commands needed to control the effects within the presets.

Then in the DAW insert the necessary MIDI commands at the desired points of the songs, the MIDI commands for the POD will use their set MIDI channel number, and those for Helix will use their own.

Nothing else should be needed.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

• 4 months later...

Hey hurghanico,

Thanks for the reply and for the details on the channels. I only got to actually try this out last week.

- The only thing I didn’t check was the different channels setup (I though the DAW should be set to the same MIDI channel as the POD).

- I also made sure the MIDI IO is set as described.

Unfortunately, the only thing I’m getting from the DAW so far is the tempo, which is working just fine, but no other control.

I will check the last gaps I haven’t done yet as per your comment and will let you know of the result.

On 5/20/2021 at 5:23 AM, Kosmonopol_JJ said:

(I though the DAW should be set to the same MIDI channel as the POD)

the DAW track that contains the MIDI commands for the POD should be set to the same MIDI channel number set in the POD.

the DAW track that contains the MIDI commands for Helix LT should be set to the same MIDI channel number set in Helix LT (which should be different from the one chosen for POD).

the DAW track containing the MIDI commands for Korg Kronos should be set to the same MIDI channel number set in Korg Kronos (which should be different from the channel numbers chosen for POD and Helix LT).

each device receives its own commands on its own channel number

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips