Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax 300 not connecting to Workbench

I have purchased recently a Variax 300. It is in a really good condition.

I purchased an Workbench USB interface and after a lot of research was able to install and successfully run the old Workbench software in an old Mac that I own. Both lights of the USB interface turn green, but the computer does not see the guitar. 

From my researches it could be 2 reasons:

a) problem in the VDI connector in the guitar. I found some Forum posts that say that if the one of the small parts of the connector is disaligned this could happen. It does not seem to me that this is the case. The connector jack in the guitar seems perfect, as well as the cable. 

b) this Variax 300 has an old firmware, before 3.0, so it cannot connect to Workbench, as workbench only sees guitars that have firmware 3.0 and above. If this is the case, how would I possibly update the firmware, as it needs to be updated through Workbench, and Workbench does not see the guitar? There has to be a way to solve this... 

12 hours ago, erbisti said:

yes

Wait... I just re-read your original post, and I noticed what you said about the firmware versions. Are you trying to use Workbench HD? Only the original Workbench will work with the 300, not Workbench HD.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Windows 10 or Mas OS beyond 10.8 won't recognize original Workbench. And Workbench HD won't

recognize any guitar before JTV v2.00 program.

You would need a machine with an earlier operating system. There is no portability between the two guitar Model formats.

• 6 months later...

To anyone reading this when thinking about buying a Variax guitar: forget it.

Variax guitars were a good idea for a few years, but:

1/ Line 6 discontinues almost everything after a few years

2/ working with the different Workbench versions is a compatibility nightmare

3/ when/if you can find them, parts are different from one guitar to another, with even different versions of the same part for the same guitar (different dimensions, references, etc).

4/ getting it fixed when you have a problem is another nightmare.

5/ navigating through their website would be funny if it one didn't feel like crying just trying to find the info you need, between Yamaha and Line 6..

Believe me, I loved my Variax and used it for a few years, but just forget it.

A real good guitar should last more than 10 years and parts should be easy to find, and backward compatible.

• Upvote 1