Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

3.01 kills MIDI Thru? (Spoiler: no, it doesn't)

jbreher

My config:

iPad running BandHelper > Apple CCK > USB > Helix > MIDI out > tc helicon VoiceLive3 plus rest of rig

also:

iPad running BandHelper > Apple CCK > USB > Helix > VDI > JTV

Since upgrading to 3.01, the VL3 is no longer receiving PC messages. By monitoring the helix MIDI out/thru with another iPad, I see the Helix is not relaying the incoming PC messages, unless they're on the same channel as the Helix.

I've been playing with the MIDI settings, but can't seem to find a combination that makes it work.

MIDI out/thru used to echo SysEx destined for my Variax too - but it no longer does that.

Yes, MIDI Thru is set to 'On' on Global Settings::MIDI

Any help?

1 hour ago, jbreher said:

My config:

iPad running BandHelper > Apple CCK > USB > Helix > MIDI out > tc helicon VoiceLive3 plus rest of rig

also:

iPad running BandHelper > Apple CCK > USB > Helix > VDI > JTV

Since upgrading to 3.01, the VL3 is no longer receiving PC messages. By monitoring the helix MIDI out/thru with another iPad, I see the Helix is not relaying the incoming PC messages, unless they're on the same channel as the Helix.

I've been playing with the MIDI settings, but can't seem to find a combination that makes it work.

MIDI out/thru used to echo SysEx destined for my Variax too - but it no longer does that.

Yes, MIDI Thru is set to 'On' on Global Settings::MIDI

Any help?

Not an expert when it comes to MIDI so some other users here may have better suggestions.

Sounds like this could be related to losing your global settings when you upgraded the firmware. If you have a backup from when things were working properly you can always use the "Restore From Backup" option in HX Edit's 'File' menu,  just uncheck everything else except for your Global settings. That might be the fastest method for restoring your previous operation.  Take note of the MIDI settings once they are restored for future reference .

Other than that if you have not already tried this change the Global Settings --> MIDI/Tempo --> 'MIDI Base Channel = "Omni". That will at least tell you if it is a problem with the channel you have selected. Also make sure you have a look at the settings on the second page of the MIDI/Tempo parameters. Some users are unaware they exist.

Lastly as always, recheck all pertinent cable connections.

• Upvote 1

I'm with HonestOpinion on restoring the Global Settings.

I run my eDrums on CH10  Thru my Helix on CH1 with MIDI THRU ON into PC112+ (not using L6 Link, sending MIDI with CommandCenter to control the Powercab) with MIDI THRU ON and into my Scarlett 18i20 so the eDrums control EZDrummer in Reaper. All works fine.

40 minutes ago, jbreher said:

Thanks all for your help. You are correct, and I was wrong. 3.01 did not break MIDI.

A USB Hub between the iPad and the Helix picked an odd time to malfunction.

Glad you pinpointed the problem and always great to see a user go back and edit the topic title as necessary.