Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX EFFECTS Wireless MIDI Controller (iPad) [AUG 2021 UPDATED]

Ed_Saxman

This is a Premium MIDI Layout made for Line 6 HX EFFECTS devices.

Requires MIDI Designer Pro 2 (IOS app, sold separately)

Full tactile control over your HX EFFECTS using Bluetooth or USB.

v1.1 Update - 1 August 2021

v1.0 Released! - 20 December 2020 -

Now Available!!: https://gumroad.com/l/FeAfu

1 - Main View

50741151566_d6f8eecbbe_k.jpg

2- Setlist View

50740416868_bbd905c852_k.jpg

3- Preset View

50740416833_1762f7cc37_k.jpg

4- Blueboard View

50741151501_4f433e06f2_k.jpg

Features:

• Includes all the HX EFFECTS MIDI implementation based on the current firmware.
  • Shows both standard MIDI Program Changes numbering (0-127) and ABCD format (32X4)
  • Saves your spine! Almost any usual operation can be done from the controller side, and provides many advanced features almost impossible to replicate with a physical controller (unless you use a very big one)
  • Wireless option: connect a Yamaha MD-BT01 or a CME WIDI Master to your HX EFFECTS and begin to enjoy a tangle-free life.
  • User Setlist: Store up to 6 user setlist, containing 8 non-correlative presets and switch easily between them.
  • Embedded support for the iRig BlueBoard: 100% Plug&Play! Preconfigured and ready to use. Two units can be used simultaneusly!

Hardware requirements:

• HX EFFECTS
  • MIDI Designer Pro 2 (IOS)
  • iPad
  • MIDI Interface (Yamaha MD-BT01 for wireless, or Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter for wired)

Recommended MIDI Interfaces:

• Wireless: Yamaha MD-BT01, CME WIDI Master
  • Wired (using Helix USB): Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter
  • Wired (MIDI to USB): Roland UM-ONE MKII + Apple CCK USB3

Optional support (included):

• Embedded support for the IK Multimedia Blueboard Bluetooth LE Modes:

Mode B: (Half/Full speed, Undo/Redo, Play/Stop, Rec/Overdub)

Mode C: (Snapshots 1-4)

• Includes buttons to turn on the LEDs.

Changes Log:

1 August 2021 - v1.1 Update

• Save and Mode buttons added (requires firmware 3.10 or later)
  • Preset pickers in Setlist View now includes color highlights
  • Bidirectional Looper MIDI commands fixed

20 December 2020 - v1.0 Released!

Cheatsheets:

1 - Main View

50764039212_f64e51d1c9_k.jpg

2- Setlist View

50764038997_7bed74bae7_k.jpg

3- Preset View

50763191193_60bb57b439_k.jpg

4- Blueboard View

50764038727_656dc08466_k.jpg

https://app.gumroad.com/ed_saxman

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, waymda said:

That looks very cool - if only I used Apple :)

Well, an iPad is quite cheap nowadays! And this layout works even with very old devices (I'm using a iPad Air first gen)

4 hours ago, MartinDorr said:

Very nice indeed. Too bad I don’t use an HX Effects.

There are MIDI controllers for the rest of the Helix line here!: https://line6.com/support/forum/96-promote-your-patches/

This same thread will be moved there, eventually. But this subforum seems better to announce the release.

Follow me for updates on what I am creating.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, EJmo said:

These layouts are beautiful and super functional. I just got an HX Effects and love it. I see you support iRig Blueboard. Will these work with Air Turn products?

https://www.airturn.com/products/airturn-bt200s-4-controller

Great work Ed!

Thank you very much EJmo, I really appreciate your feedback!

Of course the Airturn devices work with this layout, I own the BT-200S-6 myself.
You simply have to configure it to send the appropriate CCs or Notes, as seen on the Blueboard screen.

The reason I have chosen the BlueBoard as a base is because of its two pre-configured Bluetooth LE modes. I find this feature extremely useful from both the programmer's and the user's point of view.

I have also included two buttons to turn on all the BlueBoard LEDs in each of the different modes.

But you can use the Blueboard, the Airturn, the Airstep, or any other MIDI device that sends those messages, actually.

In a few hours I will launch a different layout made to use a specific USB footswitch, the iCon G-Board. This one does respond very well to LED control (and has 8 of them), but it required a bunch of Stream Byter logic to make it work. This is why I'm making a specific Layout for it. At first I did it thinking about the HX Effects, but I have realized that it will work for the whole Helix range, including the POD Go. The actual "iCon G-Board for HX Stomp" Layout will be updated too!

@Ed_Saxman What do you mean with "Bidirectional communication between your Helix and your iPad."? I dont think Helix is sending back any status information about basically anything...so when you load a preset, none of the FS toggle status get sent over MIDI. Or maybe Im misunderstanding that "bidirectional" term... :)

On 1/2/2021 at 6:02 PM, PierM said:

@Ed_Saxman What do you mean with "Bidirectional communication between your Helix and your iPad."? I dont think Helix is sending back any status information about basically anything...so when you load a preset, none of the FS toggle status get sent over MIDI. Or maybe Im misunderstanding that "bidirectional" term... :)

Hi PierM! That's a very good question.

Basically it means there is an bidirectional way of communication, whatever it is.

But to be precise, the following Helix command are being received by this Layout (using fimware 3.0/3.01) :

- MIDI PCs: Received and translated to ABCD format using this Layout

- MIDI Looper Commands (Broken feature using fimware 3.0/3.01. It was working, and it will work again in the upcoming Helix 3.1 firmware)

- EXP pedals: If configured to send CC1 and CC2 in Command Center, provides on-screen movement on the controller sliders.

- Snapshots: If configured to send CC69, values 0-3, the changes made in the Helix device will be reflected both on the iPad screen and the G-Board LEDs.

Hopefully, the upcoming Helix 3.1 firmware will make all this way easier, and much better.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

Hello Ed, is 1.0.1 an updated version that will work with 3.1. Do I need pay again to get this version? The 1.0 only worked on a few things. 

Hope all is well!

EJmo

• 2 months later...
On 5/21/2021 at 4:10 AM, EJmo said:

Hello Ed, is 1.0.1 an updated version that will work with 3.1. Do I need pay again to get this version? The 1.0 only worked on a few things. 

Hope all is well!

EJmo

Hello EJmo, I'm sorry to answer so late.

The Version 1.1 is ready (check your inbox). It's made to work with Firmware 3.10 or later.

Updates are free forever. You will receive updates directly to your E-mail.