Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Benefit of L6 Link Cable connecting Helix floor to Stagesource amp?

spangberg

Is there any benefit over using an L6 link cable over a regular XLR cable when using the Helix floor with my L2 Stagesource?  I'm just wanting to keep it set to REFERENCE/ P.A. the whole time, I think?

On the subject, I'm hoping that the Powercab on order will give me more of a guitar amp sound rather than a monitor sound that I feel I'm getting with the Stagesource, but maybe a L6 link cable will enhance my experience?

9 hours ago, spangberg said:

Is there any benefit over using an L6 link cable over a regular XLR cable when using the Helix floor with my L2 Stagesource?  I'm just wanting to keep it set to REFERENCE/ P.A. the whole time, I think?

On the subject, I'm hoping that the Powercab on order will give me more of a guitar amp sound rather than a monitor sound that I feel I'm getting with the Stagesource, but maybe a L6 link cable will enhance my experience?

A regular XLR cable would be 75 Ohms. You need an 110 Ohm cable because you're transferring digital data.

L6 Link cable is 110 Ohms. Using it with the helix you can store speaker modes.

The cable will NOT affect guitar vs. monitor sound that you get but, it will make setup easier.      Cheers

9 hours ago, spangberg said:

I'm just wanting to keep it set to REFERENCE/ P.A. the whole time, I think?

You asked a simple question, I gave the simple answer. Here's the full fat answer:

If you're leaving it in reference mode all the time, then there's no need for L6 Link, and therefore no need for the more expensive 110ohm cable.

If you change your mind and decide that you want to be able to control the Stagesource's settings from Helix (vs just sending Audio), then you'll need L6 Link, and therefore you need the 110ohm cable.

Horses for courses, right tool for the job and all that.

Of course, if you want to keep all of your options open, you should get the 110ohm cable!

Coming from a long background in communications and being taught about characteristic impedances many many  years ago, has anybody ever had any issues with using a standard XLR cable for this function that were resolved by using a 110 Ohm one?

Just curious

Craig

I bought the Powercab second hand, and the cable came with it. The mfr says "Use this cable", and I have the cable, so.....

There's so many people posting here and elsewhere "I did such and such using this or that instead of what I know I should use, and it was working, and now weird stuff is happening! Help me!"

The answer is "Use the right thing!" And the result is "Hey, that worked!"

Yes, I read somewhere that someone used an XLR cable with good results.

As I recall, he'd plugged it into a microphone connected to the Helix mic input and thought he was using the L6 link.

Sometimes I fear for the future of Humankind.

• Haha 1