Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

I Have Yet To Be Able To Create A Clean Sound

VaineDragon

I have the POD XT Live and X3 Live and both have awesome clean tome available right off the bat, what am I doing wrong with the 500x.

Unfortunately, there are no magic bullets with the 500x...it takes a lot of work to get sounds that you like, and it can be frustrating at first. Folks will argue all day long about whether or not this is a good thing. Personally, I've learned a lot about what makes amps sound the way they do by playing with all the deep edit functions [sag, bias, ER [early reflection], etc]. Some of my favorite tones I sort of stumbled on by accident. I find clean tones easier to dial in than the dirt, by that's just me. I like the Hiway 100 amp...just a little reverb, and maybe a touch of chorus. There no way around the experimental phase, however. I've had the thing for a little more than 2 months, and I'm still working with it.  Try 'em all...you 'll know when you hit the right formula. The very last amp you thought you would like might turn out to be your favorite. I LOVE the Soldano models...never played through a real one, and never would have guessed that I'd use them as much as I have been. For clean sounds especially, the guitar choice will of course factor in, too. And it's all subjective anyway...trial and error is the name of the game.

• Upvote 2

What type of clean are you going for.

For some of my clean tones I do not even use an amp sim,  just the Tube Comp into Dimension SW1 or SW2 on and just a lil reverb, usually cave.

Stereo delay on or off depending if I want to widen the stereo field a bit quickly.

I agree with using the Hiway 100 for clean tones, the Hiwatt was designed to stay clean even at monster volume levels and seems to respond with the correct "stiffness" needed for a solid clean tone.

For-whatever-reason the Fender "Blackface" amp they used to model the algorithm is too "brown" sounding, too flappy...

15 months here and I am still learning the HD500.

I got a few guitars from jazz to highgain setup and each guitar needs to be treated differently.

It is not a one size fits all kind of modelling, even different pickups have a say in the final patch and I can say that most of the time a different patch version is a solution.

Now I spend some time getting the model to respond well to my playing style. Sometimes I go for how it responds in feel rather than tone. I think that is the key to acceptable patches. 

They don't just sound good but feel good to play.

As an aside, Christmas just gone I went to my home town and visited my old band buddy and jammed on his Zoom V9 set up.

He had a classic 80s patch into a Marshal 900 head but the feel was not like a real amp or pedals it was very much like an old Yamaha FX500 being used in the FX loop. Admittedly the volume was low. It gave the guitar a sensitive thin feel just ripe for fingertapping.

Clean amps have more responsiveness which i like.

On the Vox amps the Master volume is automatically set at 100%.  If you are dead set on using the Vox for a clean sound turn that Master volume to somewhere below 50%.  That's the Master volume in the Amp:Edit area, not the Volume of the amp or the Master of the POD.

try to remember you are not tied to the amp/cab/mic combinations they give you in the POD.  Some of my favorite tones come from the most unlikely amp/cab/mic combinations.  Mix and match, don't be afraid to experiment with stuff that "shouldn't" work together... 

Get the amp/cab/mic right before you add any effects and it becomes MUCH easier...

Once again I absolutely can't thanks all of you for your help, the combination of information has changed my pOD experience to a level 1000% above above what it was before, my clean tones are great and my distorted one are even better.

A great big round of cherring standing ovation style applause to one and all. :D :lol: :o :lol: :D

Rock On

Dragon

• Upvote 1