Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Known bugs: Variax

chessum

Hi all, in the latest release the following bug has been identified, can anyone advise exactly what impact this has? I use variax exclusively

with my helix and do not want to update and then have to roll back if this is a real problem. Thanks

• Variax Model min and max sliders do not automatically update when a Variax is connected

I'm the same - variax with Helix via VDI exclusively with per patch model and tuning changes (sometimes within patches) and if I hadn't seen your post I wouldn't know there was a bug - so that probably answers whether its a real problem.

Here's one of my experiences with the new version. If I set the tone knob on the Helix to, let's say 5, and have it controlled by Snapshots. When I go to the next Snapshot that the tone knob is set on let's say 10 or "Don't Force" (which should just go to what the Variax tone knob is set on) it will stay at 5. I'm not at my helix but I believe the number will say 10 on the Helix but by the sound it is still on 5.  If you hit the same switch again it will then switch to the programmed level. This kind of thing has been an issue with Variax and Helix since the beginning through the various updates. Not neccesarily with just Snapshots. It was happening when switching between patches before, not just snapshots and not ever switching even after hitting the same button twice. I haven't checked that out yet to see if that is still true. It's kind of disappointing since Variax/Helix integration is one of the things I love. Not going to sell a lot of Variax's if it doesn't work with the Helix like it's supposed to. And I use the tone knob for my acoustic patches. Or at least I would if it worked. Now I just keep the tone knob on don't force. It used to be this way for the volume knob as well.  I will be very disappointed if it isn't fixed by the next update.

11 minutes ago, brue58ski said:

...or "Don't Force" (which should just go to what the Variax tone knob is set on)...

I believe the Don’t Force setting leaves the setting in its current state. It does not force the setting to another value. Specifically it does not force/reset the value to the physical setting of the knob. If the current value, based on a previous forced setting, does not match the physical setting of the knob it remains the same, disregarding the physical setting.

Don’t Force means Don’t Change. Of course the setting will change to match the knob setting as soon as you physically move the knob.

Not sure if or how this relates to the topic, but I believe this is how it works.

40 minutes ago, silverhead said:

I believe the Don’t Force setting leaves the setting in its current state. It does not force the setting to another value. Specifically it does not force/reset the value to the physical setting of the knob. If the current value, based on a previous forced setting, does not match the physical setting of the knob it remains the same, disregarding the physical setting.

Don’t Force means Don’t Change. Of course the setting will change to match the knob setting as soon as you physically move the knob.

Not sure if or how this relates to the topic, but I believe this is how it works.

Here's what the new Helix 3.0 manual says on page 24

Variax Model
Selects the Variax model and pickup position setting. When set to “Don’t Force,” Helix respects the Variax current setting.
Variax Volume Knob
Remotely sets the Variax volume knob setting. When set to “Don’t Force,” Helix respects the current Variax volume knob position.
Variax Tone Knob
Remotely sets the Variax tone knob setting. When set to “Don’t Force,” Helix respects the current Variax tone knob position.

I take that to mean it's supposed to reflect what the setting on the Variax is, not what's on the Helix. Not to say that it is actually working that way right now.