Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

UX2 - Line-In and Instrument-In don't sound as good as Stereo Monitor In

I'm attempting to record from a YPT-320 keyboard directly via Keyboard's Headphone Out -> UX2 Input.

Listening through Stereo Monitor In -> Headphone out sounds great, but even if I remove everything in the POD Farm line (raw signal) and plug into Instrument Input or Line Input, the audio sounds much lower quality, almost "muffled" in a sense.

Any ideas as to why this is happening or what I can do to fix it?

What are you using for cable/adapters?  The keyboard's stereo headphone output is TRS.  The UX2 is mono, TS.  For best sound from the keyboard, you would want to use a splitter adapter to go from stereo TRS to 2 X mono (left and right).  Unfortunately, the UX2 does not have 2 1/4" inputs you can use (the 2nd guitar one has a pad on it), so going from the left and right splits, you would probably need to adapt from TS to XLR and use the mic inputs (this could create noise or clipping issues).

Thanks for the responses,

I thought Stereo Out -> Mono In wouldn't matter since in PodFarm it will just duplicate the output to the other channel if I plug it into just one of the Line Inputs and Select Line 1 (or 2) as the input, it won't use both unless you select "Line Stereo".

I will get the cable and try it out though, I'm assuming you both meant something like this? https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-STP-204-Insert-Cable-Meters/dp/B000068O1Q.

Ah I see, that makes sense, especially since the input that sounds fine is specifically the UX2 "stereo monitor in".  The KB has no line outs, just stereo headphone out.

I think it's odd that my KB is even stereo output though, the sound coming from the left and right earphones sound the same to me.

On 12/22/2020 at 3:29 PM, erick1337 said:

Ah I see, that makes sense, especially since the input that sounds fine is specifically the UX2 "stereo monitor in".  The KB has no line outs, just stereo headphone out.

I think it's odd that my KB is even stereo output though, the sound coming from the left and right earphones sound the same to me.

Some sound patches are mono on keyboards, some have 'enhanced' sound with reverb, etc, to give a stereo presence, and others are full-on stereo.