Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Confirm loopback patch cable is OK for RTL latency test

Indianrock2020

I'd just like to hear from others who have tested Helix latency by running a 1/4 inch cable from 1/4 out to guitar input.   I'll be using the RTL utility and just want to make sure it's safe to use a patch cable like that.
I'd guess testing should be done on a blank preset as well as on one typically used.

Went ahead and tried it.

Well neither RTL nor Cakewalk recognize the Helix ASIO driver. I do see HX Stomp in RTL but otherwise no recognition. It's there in the control panel (Helix Control Panel)   as well as under devices. Audacity recognizes it. Helix edit runs fine and everything is up to date to 3.01 with the Helix driver date shows May 2020. Rebooted/restarted everything.
Not too impressed with this driver.

The are actually two drivers for Helix. I believe one (called WinUSB) is only required for a Windows platform and it handles general audio over USB on Windows. The most recent version was released in July 2019 but it may show a May 2019 internal date that your system is seeing. There is no corresponding driver required on Mac; Helix uses something called Core Audio I think.

I believe the other (called Line 6 Driver2) handles more application specific (e.g.DAW) audio and its most recent version is July 2020 on both Windows and Mac platforms.

And yes, reinstalling HX Edit will update the drivers but you may already have the latest version.

I set up two patches, both with usb 3/4 input and usb 1/2 output. Best latency on the empty patch was 9.1ms at 96 khz and 64 buffer size
On a normal patch with my usual blocks, with usb 3/4 input and 1/2 output, best was 11.5ms at 48khz/64

My audio interface reports about 6ms

40 minutes ago, SaschaFranck said:

Get other people informed.

To what end, though? I'm genuinely curious... since it isn't gonna change anything, what's the point? The gear is what it is, and those who find the latency intolerable already know that they don't like it. What purpose does assigning a number to an unfavorable opinion, serve?

I already know that I don't like lima beans... quantifying that dislike, were it possible, won't change that. 

I'm playing a few hours per week using Jamkazam ( online jamming).  Latency is key.    I just wanted to see if removing the audio interface and running Helix direct to laptop would be better ( seems logical, remove something and there's less overhead, exactly why I always remove the headers and mufflers on my cars).

Unfortunately, that's not the case.

13 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

To what end, though? I'm genuinely curious... since it isn't gonna change anything, what's the point? The gear is what it is, and those who find the latency intolerable already know that they don't like it. What purpose does assigning a number to an unfavorable opinion, serve?

People might come to the conclusion to purchase a different product in case they want a  low latency audio interface along with their modeler.

I bought my main interface mainly because of the latency figures. Hence I did some research on that beforehand. And I've been pretty happy to find proper reports.

In addition, IMO it *does* make sense to keep bringing this to L6s attention.

9 hours ago, Indianrock2020 said:

I'd just like to hear from others who have tested Helix latency by running a 1/4 inch cable from 1/4 out to guitar input.

Helix hardware latency has already been measured for two operating systems and four drivers. Measuring RTL hardly makes any sense because Line 6 driver correctly reports it to DAW/host.
I have talked about it with some Line 6 guys. Line 6 does not have any plans for doing anything about it. Hx is not marketed as audio interface, it has direct monitoring and Hx users do not report any latency issues.
Case closed unless somebody have info that 32 samples buffer size is usable on MacOS and 64 samples buffer is usable on Windows.

16 hours ago, Indianrock2020 said:

I'm playing a few hours per week using Jamkazam ( online jamming).  Latency is key.

Fwiw, when using Jamkazam, the latency of your interface (whatever it might be) should be the last thing to worry about. Usually, any online based services introduce a way higher latency.