Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Guitar and Vocals simultaneously.

Bear706

Ok, so I'm the guitarist and backup vocals for my band. I have read that the helix has some pretty good capabilities for vocal processing, and with the number of inputs and outputs available, I'm wondering if there is a way to process guitar and vocals at the same time then run into the PA, using 2 separate channels, one for guitar and one for vocals. The sticking point I see is how to control and switch effect for both. Would I have to program a guitar and vocal effects for each Guitar preset?

I think that would be pretty cool if I could do that... 

Thanks for reading!

Create a dual path preset with the Input block of Path A set to Guitar and Path B set to Mic. Add whatever processing blocks you wish in each path. Pan the Output block of Path A fully L and pan Path B fully R. Connect the L (guitar) and R (vocal) outputs to your mixer’s two channels.

Yes, you need to do this on a preset basis. Unfortunately you can’t have a global vocal path and change just the guitar channel. The best you can do is create a preset that is pre- built with your preferred vocal settings (a template) and copy/paste that as the starting point for any new preset. Of course if you change your vocal template for future presets you will have to manually change all existing presets accordingly.

Do what silverhead says. You can control and switch effects for both at least two ways. One is through using Snapshots. the other would be having the Helix in stomp mode and assignning them to the footswitches. I'm pretty sure you can assign parameters in stomp mode. I use snapshots so I can't say for sure.

As Snapshots (within each of your custom Presets) support dozens of parameter configurations as well as Bypass state of the Blocks in your Presets, you are likely to be able to do what you need. Post back so others can share in what you find works!

By the way, if you have the floor Helix, there are many outputs/sends you can use to get the signal where you want it to go. Each path can be assigned to any output and, as an extra added bonus, since you can create a parallel signal path in each path, you can also take either of those parallel paths and make them have separate inputs and outputs, creating four separate paths, each with it's own input and output. Of course this increases the chance of DSP overload but still another great feature. Just know you have to create the parallel path before you can give it it's own input and output so you can't have a "blank" one to start with. Regarding the input and output when you create the parallel path, click and drag the split/merge block down and you will get your other input or output. That's the only way I know how to do it. See page 20 of the new 3.0 Helix manual.

• Thanks 2

On 12/22/2020 at 6:39 PM, Bear706 said:

Ok, so I'm the guitarist and backup vocals for my band. I have read that the helix has some pretty good capabilities for vocal processing, and with the number of inputs and outputs available, I'm wondering if there is a way to process guitar and vocals at the same time then run into the PA, using 2 separate channels, one for guitar and one for vocals. The sticking point I see is how to control and switch effect for both. Would I have to program a guitar and vocal effects for each Guitar preset?

I think that would be pretty cool if I could do that... 

Thanks for reading!

This Preset I made for a Vocal and Acoustic at the same time..... https://uk.line6.com/customtone/tone/4433419/

As there's no MIC Input on the LT, decided to try a MIC to LINE Adapter. I got this one - https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Audix-T50K-Impedance-Matching-Transformer/ST8?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=order-confirmation&utm_content=ord-line&utm_source=txn-email It works great .... I can plug my Dynamic Mic in via the RETURN 1 Input on the LT, made a patch with Dualpaths for Mic on Return 1 and Guitar on Return 2. With the Studio Preamp and some Compressors, and a bit of Gain boosting, I get a great clean Mic signal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Rocles said:

This Preset I made for a Vocal and Acoustic at the same time..... https://uk.line6.com/customtone/tone/4433419/

As there's no MIC Input on the LT, decided to try a MIC to LINE Adapter. I got this one - https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Audix-T50K-Impedance-Matching-Transformer/ST8?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=order-confirmation&utm_content=ord-line&utm_source=txn-email It works great .... I can plug my Dynamic Mic in via the RETURN 1 Input on the LT, made a patch with Dualpaths for Mic on Return 1 and Guitar on Return 2. With the Studio Preamp and some Compressors, and a bit of Gain boosting, I get a great clean Mic signal.

I've got the Helix Rack, and it has a mic input on the back. I'll check out your preset, Thanks for posting it. 

Thanks all for the great responses... I think I may have time today or tomorrow to start seeing what I can do with it. I'll post my results ;) 

On 12/23/2020 at 5:15 PM, brue58ski said:

By the way, if you have the floor Helix, there are many outputs/sends you can use to get the signal where you want it to go. Each path can be assigned to any output and, as an extra added bonus, since you can create a parallel signal path in each path, you can also take either of those parallel paths and make them have separate inputs and outputs, creating four separate paths, each with it's own input and output. Of course this increases the chance of DSP overload but still another great feature. Just know you have to create the parallel path before you can give it it's own input and output so you can't have a "blank" one to start with. Regarding the input and output when you create the parallel path, click and drag the split/merge block down and you will get your other input or output. That's the only way I know how to do it. See page 20 of the new 3.0 Helix manual.

Thanks for the info:

I just got the Helix Rack /Floor Control and love the looper functions in conjunction with Studio One v5. Interested to suss out if the vocal path can be used whilst looping , great for demos/ harmonies / practice/ recording. I use also the wireless Samson and it allows me to jump between Bass Guitar & Acoustic whilst running looper/via studio one Daw. 
sometime soon I’d like to connect via mixing desk (analog) outs to feed into Helix Rack and use this facility also to add audio flow into looper. Giving me full flexibility for creating ideas..and also record into Daw with these ( looped ) sections in any form.

nice one Line 6 for a cool gadget once again. Helix Rack - Foot Control.

• 2 weeks later...

Can any of you guys who have done voice processing with the Helix give me some tips to get started on the actual effects/settings to try? No professional singing here, but we do karaoke though a nice PA. I know compression, reverb, delay, and chorus seem to be the most popular but ... I don't have any idea what I am shooting for!

• 5 weeks later...
18 hours ago, mingyi said:

I wish HX stomp could do dual path too, unfortunately I could't open ideacscale page

There's really no chance of doing dual path on the stomp since that requires an additional DSP chip.  If that's what you want you'd need to upgrade to a full unit LT or Floor or Rack.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/10/2021 at 6:51 PM, DunedinDragon said:

There's really no chance of doing dual path on the stomp since that requires an additional DSP chip.  If that's what you want you'd need to upgrade to a full unit LT or Floor or Rack.

Sorry to hear that,full unit are way too big and heavy,and I don't need that much switch,but thanks

On 2/10/2021 at 6:51 PM, DunedinDragon said:

Still no chance with HX Stomp XL?