Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Thinking on HX Effects

MayPRS

Hello all,

first post here - never used Line 6 gear so be gentle :D

Long time G-System user - it suited my needs just fine but I reckon some issues that made me think on moving on:

• The weight: it's heavy! Very. Music is an hobby for me and I don't have people to carry my gear around. The pedalboard with G-System, drive pedals and power source weights above 10 kg;
  • The lack of updates: I own one of the first version G-System (before they updated the input) and the last firmware update was in 2012 I think;
  • I do notice some tone suck even if I balance the instrument input (one of the things that the manual don't refer to but that Laird's excellent white paper mentions, in fact if it wasn't for this document I would have return the G-System). I feel the tone is more dynamic and "open" when I play straight to the amp without the G-System. It's a noticeable and somewhat big difference.

In terms of amps I use VOX AC30 (all valve) for one project and an Engl Screamer 50 head + Celestion V30 cabinet for the other (more hard rock oriented band).

I don't need an unit with an amp emulation because those amps have all the tone I want/need but I need something that has great modulations, delays and harmonizer. I got to hand to G-System that these kind of effects are TOP on the unit and that's why I'm reluctant in replacing the G-System.

I know I'm on a Line 6 forum - but can you give me a unbiased view of what I would lost/gain regarding the HX Effects? As I stated I never used Line 6 gear - none whatsoever. I read some mixed reviews on the HX Effects - regarding (lots of !) noise, "plastic sounding" harmonizer, etc. Could be older firmware reviews of course...

Many thanks for the replies and looking forward to be a part of the Line 6 family.

Best Regards!

Don't limit your searches to the HX Effects while looking for user reviews....it uses the exact same effects as the Helix so any reviews on the effects are relevant. It's just the amp/cab modeling and hardware features that differ. 

9 hours ago, stratgilmour said:

I read some mixed reviews on the HX Effects - regarding (lots of !) noise,

That should not be an issue any longer. There were some problem units at the very beginning with noisy FX Loops, but I haven't seen that complaint in a long time, so I suspect the majority of those units have been weeded out. Line 6 takes care of you if you do end up with one of those units.

I think you’d be gaining in nearly every aspect apart from the harmoniser (although I’ve never used the G system one). Since the 3.0 update, the only thing lacking, for my personal use in the HX effects, is the harmoniser (many still find it more than usable, though).I use a TC electronic Quintessence in the loop instead. But apart from that, I think it’d be an upgrade.

Some people have said they experienced tone suck with the HX, but I never have with my amps (Blackstar HT40, Orange Rockerverb and Egnater Renegade).

Once you have your ins and outs (line/instrument, etc) set up on the unit, there should be no problem.

Reverbs, Delays and Mods are great. And they are endlessly tweakable, but also very easy to use. 

I had experience with the early G system- we "needed" to use favored analog effects pedals in the loops- the G system did not have the headroom to accept our typical gain pedals cleanly- the guitar used had some of the electronics of the Clapton Strat and the g system couldn't handle the wide dynamic range.

In the end it went from the band's lead guitarist to the supporting guitarist who had a narrower range of needs. Even so we absolutely needed to use some other pedals- ..and life has changed since then

With current guitarist, very exacting and demanding- we started with the HXFX and had some very impressive result right off with a  variety of the effects, we notice ( as yet) no latency through the a/d converters.

We have just purchased a helix and will continue to explore the technology using ONLY the effects as we have amps we are very happy with ( and although using line6 and other modellers since the 90's..if you have a Hiwatt or a tweed or a trainwreck, well just use the real thing).

the first thing you will gain is the increase is processing power, converters, bitrate- etc, and the experience of millions of users over many many years, to detail which features are truly useful.

we don;t know if the helix will replace the effects in a switching system with 30 loops- but it's a lot lighter!

some of the effects we like have character with we think we will need to retain and use with helix- a boomerrang V1 not only has sound, but the operation is quick/easy- also the Whammy V2 has a charm to the imprecise sound- as does the old ibanez dm2000 with the mod and hold functions.

if unsure and are amazon prime member, get one there- returns are easy

cheers

Many thanks for the invaluable feedback and opinions - really appreciated.

The harmonizers, for me, are a key element in my playing - it's soooo nice when, in a middle of a solo, "two" additional guitarists start to play alongside in perfect harmony eh eh eh

The G-System harmonizer is very good but I read somewhere that the TC Quintessence is a lot nicer - so maybe the G-System harmonizer is on pair with the Line 6 unit?

Any HX Effects users around that use the harmonizer in a regular basis that could give me some pointers?

Many thanks!!!

48 minutes ago, stratgilmour said:

Any HX Effects users around that use the harmonizer in a regular basis that could give me some pointers?

Don't limit your request to HX Effects users.... the Helix uses the exact same harmonizers, so you might want to open the door for anyone to help. 

I haven't dug into the harmonizers myself... but this video might give you an idea of how good they are... or aren't depending on your perspective :)