Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Low sound output / bad quality

pisznaberdyczow

Hello,

first of all "Hello" and I know this is another post as of millions already, nevertheless I did not find answer to my question. Maybe you guys would be able to help me. Not sure whether my problem is with Helix or rather with my setup or myself. So.... what is my setup first:

Fender Classic Player 60s with CS69

Scarlett Solo 2nd gen

BESPECO RA300 guitar cable (ironically giving less fizz than Fender cable I had before)

headphones -> Senhheiser HD598 / AKG mk2 k240

Big Sur up to date as of today

What is my problem? Well, the issue is with sound of Helix. How do I connect?

Guitar -> Scarlett Hi - Z instrument input, gain set to around 11-12 o clock, staying with green ranges, no clipping, Direct Monitoring OFF -> GarageBand -> Helix Native

Symptoms:

1. Very low sound of factory presets and also 95% presets I download from custom tone. My Helix input and output is set as factory presets, input and output signals are within suggested range, staying with green / yellow range. I know I can adjust output volumes here and there, however I need to do this drastically to get anything I can hear. For example - I am attaching preset which sounds very good and with expected volume, so you can understand how loud it is actually set up. In comparison when I plug Overloud THU it is sounding loud enough or too loud even just out of box.

2. Factory presets sounds very bad, distorted, lack of proper dynamic response, fizzy, hizzy, very digital. I do understand they are not awesome, but I have seen couple of vids where factory presets were checked and sounds at least acceptable and I am not getting anything close. Why do I stick to compare to factory presets? Because I believe if I get them working I would use potential of Helix.

3. Most of distortion and overdrive pedals sounds clipping or very bad. For instance all Fuzz pedals are too Fuzzy even at 1/3 of the gain. I have tried to reduce Hi - Z input on Solo between what I have now to even zero, then it's lacking of volume, body, dynamic response, and it's not getting any colour (means signal too low).

Obviously I am doing something wrong, but the biggest issue is low sound of factory presets. I do not have any sound in GarageBand decreased, tried Reaper too, they sounds very low in sound, almost inaudible. I need to add around +20db here and there to hear them, but then they sounds crap. 

I am considering buying something else than Scarlett Solo, which seems to be bottleneck here.  I am seeing however people have good results with it, so throwing $100 for i.e. Presonus Audiobox seems to be lottery.

Or I just do not understand how I shall use Native and I am expecting something I should not? This is something I might accept too :) but hard to accept not getting even 50% of quality of sound on factory presets vs some samples on internet. Also I would expect factory presets while not great at least audible on level you can hear.

I understand it is hard to help through internet but I am desperated.

GILMOUR SOUND.hlx

Hello,

I use Helix Native with my Focusrite scarlett 8i6 3rd gen in Studio one 5.  It works amazing and sounds as good as my Helix floor does recorded.  

My suggestions are to make sure you have latest Focusrite drivers installed.  Use the Focusrite Control software and make sure your unit is set to instrument level.  You will not need to use your gain knob if it is set correctly.  Right now you are set to line level if you need the  knob at 12.  Make sure you use the control software as that helps you set routing and other things with your interface.  

Thank you for your reply. There are no drivers on Mac to be installed. As described in my post I am using INST switch and guitar is plugged to Hi Z (Inst port). If gain is set to zero, signal is very weak, I need to set very even higher output volume inside of the DAW and amps are not breaking as they should.

Looks like you have good results with your unit, therefore it might be something is wrong with my Solo and I will try to upgrade it.

EDIT Decreased gain and I get better results if Solo is not giving green light. Will try to play with this a bit as many of videos / guides telling to have input with green diode (not red) but without it it's much better. Still I need to add a lot of volume here and there to hear it.

• 2 years later...
On 12/30/2020 at 6:15 PM, pisznaberdyczow said:

I have changed interface to Audient ID4 and now everything is ok. 0 clipping, dynamics works perfectly. Finally I am very happy with Native. With even more input gain in Helix the sound is not distorted / clipping and there is less noise. Finally feel like with amp.

I have the exact same crazy problem, and this is the only post that tries to explain our problem.
which is also difficult to describe....
basic, fake, unlistenable sound, it seems like the digital of the 2000s
and it's inexplicable because helix now has enormous quality from the samples you hear and is used by professionals on stages!
so have you solved it by now?
I don't think it's a sound card problem, I had the same bad feeling years ago with HELIX LT too