Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp as Microphone Audio Interface

jawinick

Hi All - I had a spare XLR>1/4 TRS adaptor lying around (not an impedance matching transformer), and I plugged my Shure SM58 into the L/Mono of my HX stomp and set the input on global parameters to line. The volume was still VERY quiet and it basically didn't work. I notice on the Main L/R there is an In-Z selector (auto, 10k, 22k, 32k, etc) which I had set to "auto," but there is no option to go down as low as the mic output impedance (150 ohm).

Then I started looking on youtube to try and figure out why this wasn't working and found a video that talks about the need for an impedance matching transformer - yeah yeah, I know I prob. should have researched it first.  BUT, I didn't see anything in the manual that said I shouldn't do this and since the mic is a passive device, I would never have considered there would be any risk of damaging the HX stomp.  However, the guy in the video mentions potentially "blowing up your hardware" by NOT using one of those, and that gets me super concerned. Did I bugger-up my HX stomp in some way?!  Man I hope not!  Please help me sleep at night!!!