Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HELIX SNAPSHOTS

Ov3rk1ll

A Snapshot is a different variation (different parameter settings and active/inactive blocks) of an existing Preset. Each Preset can have up to 8 Snapshots.

To be clear, the Snapshot uses all of the same Blocks as the Preset, but the ON/OFF state of the Blocks and the settings within each Block can be different.

A "Bank" is a convenient way to look at the Presets that appear on the footswitches in Preset Mode. If you go into Global Settings>Preferences and change Preset Numbering to 000-128, you'll see that they appear with the MIDI program numbers instead of "Bank" numbers. What most devices consider "Banks" are called SETLISTS" in Helix - 8 Banks of 128 Presets.

I dont understand. I dont want to use the helix as a stomp boxes turning on and off effects the oldschool way. I want to change one preset with multiple things in it to the next without audio gaps. Is this possible? Cause I find nothing on the manual about this. If it is under what name is it? Cause I found nothing about snapshots and I saw no search in the pdf I have. Do I have to have same amps in all presets in order to be seamless changes?

You can change up to 64 parameters of every Block in your signal chain using Snapshots.

Without audio gaps.

With v3.0 you can even change presets without an audio gap. It does, however, eat up an entire processor to do so, which limits the complexity of the signal chain you can use in the other processor. I believe that this is covered in the new 3.0 manual.

• Upvote 1

once you program those eight snapshots you can't make more 8 snapshots in another bank? have 8 per bank is not possible? that would conclude my questioning I guess. don't look at it as presets or what ever. Look at it as I can only have 8 snapshots in bank 1 obviously. Can I change to bank 2 and have 8 more and so on? been using Roland for so many years and they have different ways to look at everything than you. I'm struggling to understand this new thing before time runs out. I don't want to stay with a unit that doesn't provide what I want. I'm sure it can. I'm just not seeing it or understanding it. For example you can see how confused I am cause I didnt even have the right manual. This one does have it

15 hours ago, rd2rk said:

A Snapshot is a different variation (different parameter settings and active/inactive blocks) of an existing Preset. Each Preset can have up to 8 Snapshots.

To be clear, the Snapshot uses all of the same Blocks as the Preset, but the ON/OFF state of the Blocks and the settings within each Block can be different.

A "Bank" is a convenient way to look at the Presets that appear on the footswitches in Preset Mode. If you go into Global Settings>Preferences and change Preset Numbering to 000-128, you'll see that they appear with the MIDI program numbers instead of "Bank" numbers. What most devices consider "Banks" are called SETLISTS" in Helix - 8 Banks of 128 Presets.

I'm not sure how to make that more clear. Snapshots are part of Presets. Presets are arranged in "Banks". Banks in Helix speak are a convenient way to display presets on the Footswitches, in groups of 4 (single row) or 8 (double row). Banks in the traditional sense are called "Setlists" and are composed of 128 Presets. EACH PRESET CAN HAVE 8 SNAPHOTS.

12 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

I'm not sure how to make that more clear. Snapshots are part of Presets. Presets are arranged in "Banks". Banks in Helix speak are a convenient way to display presets on the Footswitches, in groups of 4 (single row) or 8 (double row). Banks in the traditional sense are called "Setlists" and are composed of 128 Presets. EACH PRESET CAN HAVE 8 SNAPHOTS.

yes I understand what they are but can I have multiple 8's is what my question should be. Can I have 8 and then 8 more and 8 more? Or is it 8 and you are done?

You mean, can you have 128 snapshots of a single preset located in 64 banks across 8 setlists?

Yes, actually. You could duplicate a single Preset 128 times in a single Setlist. Since each preset can have 8 Snapshots, that's 1024 Snapshots of a single preset.

If you did that in all 8 setlists that's 8192 Snapshots of the same preset. If the original preset used only one Path (processor), you could have True Spillover across 1024 presets.

IOW - EACH PRESET can have 8  SNAPSHOTS, but you could potentially have one GIANT Preset composed of 1024 individual  and identical Presets with True Spillover between them and  each with 8 Snapshots for a virtual preset with 8192 Snapshots. AND with basic MIDI skills and enough Controllers (or a single Helix Floor), you could call any one of those snapshots with a single footswitch press! This would be possible because the Helix Floor itself has 1024 Presets each capable of calling any Snapshot on your Rack from one of the 8 available Instant Commands configurable in the Command Center. If you had another controller it could call any specific Preset from any Bank on the Helix Floor.

Of course, most of the above is just craziness. The bottom line is, again, ONE Preset can have 8 Snapshots. But you could have 8192 Snapshots of that preset.