Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Help me: tips to use Poly sustain

pierpatrip

Hi folks, I'm very curious about creative use of new poly sustain.

It's very dsp hungry, as we know, so I can't figure how really I could manage it. For example, I would like to set a clean sound as pedal and sustain it, and then soloing over it with a distorted tone, without altering the pedal sound.

I appreciated the CraigGT patch uploaded in topic above... but I expect your tips and suggestions

Poly Sustain Momentary press to catch sample

Like using a looper, poly sustain is like playing a different instrument. You have to think differently, make different arrangements, and practice using poly sustain like you would to learn a new instrument. 

Also like the looper, the position of the block makes a big difference in how you use the poly sustain. If you want to change the guitar tone without impacting the sustained tone, you have to put the poly sustain towards the end of your signal chain, or at least after any effects you want to change after initiating a sustain.

If you always want to switch from capturing a sustained chord to lead while sustaining, you can try putting more than one block or parameter min/max toggle on the same foot switch as the poly sustain. I haven't tried that, but I think it would work.

You might also practice how you strum what you want sustained, and how long you wait for the transient attack to die out before you press the sustain button in order to capture a nice sustain tone. 

Long sustains might be easier with the footswitch configured for on/off. Shorter sustains that are changing a lot might be easier with momentary contact.

If you have HX Effects of HX Stomp with Helix, then try offloading expensive blocks like poly sustain into an HX device in a Helix effects loop. I use HX Effects integrated with Helix for all my gigging, mostly because I like having the extra foot switches and the signal chain flexibility.

• Upvote 2

On 12/25/2020 at 11:21 AM, amsdenj said:

Like using a looper, poly sustain is like playing a different instrument. You have to think differently, make different arrangements, and practice using poly sustain like you would to learn a new instrument. 

Also like the looper, the position of the block makes a big difference in how you use the poly sustain. If you want to change the guitar tone without impacting the sustained tone, you have to put the poly sustain towards the end of your signal chain, or at least after any effects you want to change after initiating a sustain.

If you always want to switch from capturing a sustained chord to lead while sustaining, you can try putting more than one block or parameter min/max toggle on the same foot switch as the poly sustain. I haven't tried that, but I think it would work.

You might also practice how you strum what you want sustained, and how long you wait for the transient attack to die out before you press the sustain button in order to capture a nice sustain tone. 

Long sustains might be easier with the footswitch configured for on/off. Shorter sustains that are changing a lot might be easier with momentary contact.

If you have HX Effects of HX Stomp with Helix, then try offloading expensive blocks like poly sustain into an HX device in a Helix effects loop. I use HX Effects integrated with Helix for all my gigging, mostly because I like having the extra foot switches and the signal chain flexibility.

Your response brought about a new question (sorry, hope it's not too much off track from the OP).... You said you use the HX Effects with the Helix using an effects loop.  Where do you place the loop in your chain?  I know it probably depends on what you are doing, but is there a typical spot?  I have this question because I also would like just a few more stomps when playing live... mainly for effects.  In the past, I have had two presets with the same amp/cab, etc... but a different set of effects.

I watched a youtube video of this effect and it really gave some great directions on the parameters.  Just search Poly Sustain Helix and the Jason Sadites one is pretty decent to get your feet one...there is another one by two guys that is pretty neat its about 45 min and they go through all the poly effects.  

I found that adding it towards the end of my chain just before reverb/delays makes the most sense.  that way the poly gets the snapshot of audio, and pushes it through the ambient effects.  Even though the effect is 'on' its not 'recording' audio and what you play after you initially turn it on doesnt process in that block.  So you can then have your changed sound play over the top.  

For me, the hard part is getting the sustained sound to sound ambient and 'synth' like some of the vids have.  I'm sure its technique with how you strum/pluck the strings/chords but the ambience definately makes a difference if you dont have that right either.

22 hours ago, PaulTBaker said:

Your response brought about a new question (sorry, hope it's not too much off track from the OP).... You said you use the HX Effects with the Helix using an effects loop.  Where do you place the loop in your chain?  I know it probably depends on what you are doing, but is there a typical spot?  I have this question because I also would like just a few more stomps when playing live... mainly for effects.  In the past, I have had two presets with the same amp/cab, etc... but a different set of effects.

I put it after the Wah block in Helix, second block in the Helix signal chain. That's because all the effects I use in HX Effects are front of the amp effects that typically go before distortion. This includes Mutant Filter, Rochester Comp, Kinky Boost, Script Mod Phase, Ubiquitous Vibe, and Gray Flanger - that is, all effects that modulate tone, and not frequency - those usually go after distortion.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, PaulTBaker said:

I wonder what the hd500x would sound like running through the Helix effects loop? Will try that when I get home! Thanks for the idea

Hi,

That was one of the first things that I tried when I got my Helix Floor unit back in 2016. Only wanted to access some of the old FX that Helix didn’t have, e.g. Dimension.

No need to do that now, as all the stuff that was available in the earlier HD, M9 & M13 boxes was added as Legacy effects in the 2.50 firmware update. Suppose you could save a couple of blocks by just using a Helix FX Loop to use a chain of old FX in the HD500. Yeah, it works just like any other gizmo in an FX loop.

Have fun.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Please I need help!

I want to send the poly Sustain to Send L that goes to another HX stomp where I've created some harmonizing effects like an Hammond.

When I press the Switch for the Poly sustain block I need to have Dry volume set to zero but in the options there isn't the MIX control.... 

I've tried to use the Split options or to use a Volume pedal set to 0% before Poly sustain but when I activate the blocks the volume is very low because the Attack can't be set under 100ms.

Any ideas???

• 4 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, crcollins88 said:

Hi, I've updated my HX effects to 3.02 but the new poly effects aren't showing on the device or HX edit. Anyone else having this problem? The new 3.0 owners manual shows them in the effects table for HX Effects so it feels like I should have them.

You need to download and install HX Edit 3.0.