Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Plugging in POD Go Without an Effects Loop

agiarretta

I just got the POD Go as a Christmas present yesterday, and so far it's worked great when going direct into headphones.

However, the sound that I'm getting from the POD is not that great when I use it with my amplifier.

I'm currently using a Vox Mini Superbeetle, and it's to my understanding that I can use the POD Go purely as a multi effects unit since I can bypass the head and cabinet modulation. My current amp does not have an effects loop, so I thought that I could just plug the POD directly into the input jack that I normally use for my guitar. 

While it does work, the sound that I get from my amp is very flat and it doesn't give me the Vox chime that I'm used to. 

Any help would be appreciated, as I am totally new when it comes to all of this stuff.

Thank you!

You need to modify your patches to fit with the colouring coming from the front end of your amp. You might not want to use cab models if going through your amps speakers. You also might want to experiment with the Pod Go global EQ to better fit with your amp.

And I'd suggest you don't use the factory presets. Start building some patches from scratch so you can tailor tones for your amp. 

3 hours ago, agiarretta said:

Ah alright so the Pod will change the sound of the amp even when cab and head modulation is bypassed?

When disabling both the Pod Go's amp and cab, ie just using Pod Go as an fx only tool, then the Pod Go fx won't colour your amps tone per se. But time based fx will sound better through an amps fx loop...which you don't have. So if all the effects are in front of the amp, its best to keep your amp clean and use Pod Go for distortions, rather than pushing your amps gain.  

But there's no reason not to experiment with the amp and cab models through your Vox as they can still sound good. 

17 hours ago, agiarretta said:

Ah alright so the Pod will change the sound of the amp even when cab and head modulation is bypassed?

The cab simulation of the PGO simulates the sound through a guitar cabinet, it's intended to be used with recording software or through studio monitors, headphones, etc.  But if you're using the PGO output to a guitar cab, you're already using a cab, so don't need to simulate a 2nd cab.  If you're simulating a cab and play through a guitar cab, it's as if you had, for example: 

Guitar -> Marshall amp -> Marshall 4x12 cab -> recorded via microphone -> Mesa Boogie 4x12 cab.

So yeah, that would affect your tone!   ;)

If you have a regular stereo system, just regular amp, speakers, etc., to listen to music, you might want to try plugging your Go through that.   Already you'd benefit from Stereo effects, and you might get a better sound than through your guitar amp & cab.  It's quite a bit more flexible that way, you're getting to 'really' use the Go's cabs or IRs.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem,I jist got the pod go and I used it with my Boss Katana mk2 with power amp in fuction and I thought I plugg the pod go in the power amp in and play,but because I was using cab in the Pod go the sound was so bad that I was so close to send it back..but when I found out that is not good to use cab when u have a amp ,the sound is very good now..I think and FrFR speaker or cab will give u the best sound from Pod Go.

The only problem I have now and I see other peopel have aswell is when I make a sound and I hear it trhu Boss katana it ok but when I use headphones is fizzy :( and bad..but if I use the factory presets with headphones is ok..I don't understand what I do wrong