Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD 500 GLITCHES

MrElephant501

Hello all,

I wanted to make a post here in the hopes someone more educated than I could provide some insight. I just got a POD HD500 for christmas, and from what little I can observe from it, it is a very capable unit. However, I've observed quite a few issues with it in the past two days. Essentially, the issues boil down to the following:

1. Whenever the unit is powered up without any other cables plugged in, I am greeted with the prompt: update flash

a. After doing so, the prompt remains the same

b. Controls are inoperable, no buttons of any kind work

2. When powered on with a quarter inch cable in the guitar in socket, I am greeted with either an endless scroll through presets, or a "assign fs" prompt

a. controls are inoperable.

3. When using POD HD500 Edit, none of the units controls are operable

4. The only controls that are capable of manipulation are the Drive, Bass, Mid, Treble, Presence, Volume, and Master Volume knobs.

Are there any ways to fix this? I have edited the flash memory and reinstalled the latest firmware. A quick glance at the Line 6 Monkey shows everything is up to date.

Thank you!

The first thing you usually try to do when your device isn't working properly is a Global Reset and then a Pedal Calibration.

Furthermore, the procedures mentioned above should always be done after a firmware update done.

https://line6.com/support/page/kb/pod/pod-hd500-hd500x/after-pod-hd500x500-flashre-flashupdate-mandatory-global-settings-reset33-r160/

If this does not solve the problem, it may be that the power supply is no longer providing the current (amperes) required and must be replaced.

In the event that a Variax guitar is connected to the POD it is even more important that the power supply gives all 3 amperes needed to power both.

If even with a well-functioning power supply this does not solve the problem, probably some hardware element is broken, and I don't know if it would be worth having it repaired for the cost.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

4 hours ago, hurghanico said:

The first thing you usually try to do when your device isn't working properly is a Global Reset and then a Pedal Calibration.

Furthermore, the procedures mentioned above should always be done after a firmware update done.

https://line6.com/support/page/kb/pod/pod-hd500-hd500x/after-pod-hd500x500-flashre-flashupdate-mandatory-global-settings-reset33-r160/

If this does not solve the problem, it may be that the power supply is no longer providing the current (amperes) required and must be replaced.

In the event that a Variax guitar is connected to the POD it is even more important that the power supply gives all 3 amperes needed to power both.

If even with a well-functioning power supply this does not solve the problem, probably some hardware element is broken, and I don't know if it would be worth having it repaired for the cost.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

Thank you so much for this, this is hugely helpful. I’ll give these a shot. I already reinstalled the latest firmware, should I go about a global reset? If so, how do I do that? And in the case of power supply, should I just get a new power cable?

28 minutes ago, MrElephant501 said:

I already reinstalled the latest firmware, should I go about a global reset?

Yes, you should do a global reset and then a pedal calibration each time you reinstall the firmware.

30 minutes ago, MrElephant501 said:

If so, how do I do that?

I already gave you the link to the instructions in my previous post. Click on it.

30 minutes ago, MrElephant501 said:

And in the case of power supply, should I just get a new power cable?

If you have a friend with the same device and well working ask him to let you try his power supply.

The original one is called DC-3G, link: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PODHDPwr--line-6-pod-hd-floorboard-power-supply

DC-3G specs:

line-6-dc-3g.jpg&key=4f5d391c9bca5ef8a75

...if you can't find it you can use a compatible one with the same specs like the following:

612kbwzWm7L._SL1400_.jpg&key=92dbc233e16

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0154WFJDG

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

1 hour ago, hurghanico said:

Yes, you should do a global reset and then a pedal calibration each time you reinstall the firmware.

I already gave you the link to the instructions in my previous post. Click on it.

If you have a friend with the same device and well working ask him to let you try his power supply.

The original one is called DC-3G, link: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PODHDPwr--line-6-pod-hd-floorboard-power-supply

DC-3G specs:

line-6-dc-3g.jpg&key=4f5d391c9bca5ef8a75

...if you can't find it you can use a compatible one with the same specs like the following:

612kbwzWm7L._SL1400_.jpg&key=92dbc233e16

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0154WFJDG

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

Sorry, I forgot to clarify, I’ve tried doing the global reset as described there, and it doesn’t seem to have done anything. Power on while pressing left arrow I mean. As I’ve said, the controls don’t seem to be doing anything really. Are there any other ways?

edit: I also can’t seem to connect to Monkey or Edit without a guitar cable plugged in, however when that does occur there are no notifications on the unit itself when I am doing firmware or flash memory updates.

3 hours ago, MrElephant501 said:

Sorry, I forgot to clarify, I’ve tried doing the global reset as described there, and it doesn’t seem to have done anything. Power on while pressing left arrow I mean. As I’ve said, the controls don’t seem to be doing anything really. Are there any other ways?

The only other way I know is by updating the firmware in safe mode:

1. Power Up the device while pressing the Nav Pad Down button.
  2. On the device screen you should see UPDATE FLASH.
  3. Connect now the device to the computer through USB.
  4. If the device is recognized by the computer (if not there is nothing else to do than have it repaired) you can use the Monkey program to re-install the latest firmware,.

3 hours ago, MrElephant501 said:

I also can’t seem to connect to Monkey or Edit without a guitar cable plugged in, however when that does occur there are no notifications on the unit itself when I am doing firmware or flash memory updates.

Normally it should not be necessary to have any cable connected to the device except the USB cable for recognition by the computer and therefore by programs.

The fact that you have to insert a jack cable to partially operate the device is very strange and a sign of malfunction.

If no firmware update procedure (normal and/or in safe mode) and reset works, and if you are sure that the power supply is working fine, for me the unit is broken and only a competent technician can fix it.

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips