Jump to content
xero_uk

Helix 3.01 Software Disconnecting and causing Windows Blue Screens

Recommended Posts

Hello all,

Hoping someone might be able to help! Recently upgraded my Stomp to 3.01 as was recommended by the good people at Line 6. But since then I''ve been getting Windows Bluescreens when recording with Cakewalk. First, the Helix will disconnect from HX Edit. I've then removed and reconnected the USB in order to try and restore the connection, and I then get a Windows Blue Screen Error "pfn_list_corrupt".

 

From the searches I've done it relates to a hardware problem, usually memory so I ran a full memory test on my PC which came back clean. I've not used the Helix to record for a week or so since first seeing the problem. I've just tried to record something this afternoon and it's blue screened on me twice. 

Any ideas? Are Line 6 aware of this? Does it need another update?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Helix probably doesn't need an update given that everyone seems to be doing fine recording with their Helix on 3.01 including me and I'm using Cakewalk as well.  The same probably can't be said for your PC however, or the drivers being used in it.

The first place I would start is to make sure that you upgraded the HXEdit program to version 3.0 per the upgrade instructions which downloads and installs the appropriate drivers on your PC to work with 3.01 as the "pfn_list-corrupt" can also relate to a faulty (incorrect) driver.  Although the Helix may not need an upgrade, you PC very well might as that error can also relate to encountering bad segments on a hard drive.  PFN refers to "Page Frame Numbers" list which is the computer virtual memory which is memory that has been paged out of physical memory to your hard drive, so it's not necessarily related to the physical memory in your PC.

Believe me, if 3.01 were messing up everyone's ability to record, you'd hear a LOT more about it from a LOT of people.  On the other hand, there are a TON of people that didn't follow the directions and first upgrade HXEdit before upgrading the firmware on their Helix...and have suffered the consequences. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DunedinDragon said:

The Helix probably doesn't need an update given that everyone seems to be doing fine recording with their Helix on 3.01 including me and I'm using Cakewalk as well.  The same probably can't be said for your PC however, or the drivers being used in it.

The first place I would start is to make sure that you upgraded the HXEdit program to version 3.0 per the upgrade instructions which downloads and installs the appropriate drivers on your PC to work with 3.01 as the "pfn_list-corrupt" can also relate to a faulty (incorrect) driver.  Although the Helix may not need an upgrade, you PC very well might as that error can also relate to encountering bad segments on a hard drive.  PFN refers to "Page Frame Numbers" list which is the computer virtual memory which is memory that has been paged out of physical memory to your hard drive, so it's not necessarily related to the physical memory in your PC.

Believe me, if 3.01 were messing up everyone's ability to record, you'd hear a LOT more about it from a LOT of people.  On the other hand, there are a TON of people that didn't follow the directions and first upgrade HXEdit before upgrading the firmware on their Helix...and have suffered the consequences. 

 

Thanks for your reply.

I'm pretty sure I did update HXEdit to V3 first. I'm a stickler for reading instructions and doing things in the correct order. What I do know for sure is every time I've updated the software on my Helix, it's ALWAYS failed the first time and I've had a restore the thing using the offline updater and then try it again.

Any recommendations for steps I can use to remedy this? Is it worth uninstalling all the Line 6 Software and Drivers and starting again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, xero_uk said:

 

.....What I do know for sure is every time I've updated the software on my Helix, it's ALWAYS failed the first time and I've had a restore the thing using the offline updater and then try it again.
.....

If by ‘the first time’ you mean the attempt using HX Edit, that suggests an Internet or USB connection issue. HX Edit downloads the firmware file from the internet while (simultaneously?) updating using Line 6 Updater in what appears to the user to be a single uninterrupted operation. If this is failing, while the manual processing of separating these two activities succeeds, it points to a connectivity or USB issue. Try a different (non-hub) USB port in case the USB connection is timing out while HX Edit downloads the firmware file. Also (somewhat risky) try temporarily disabling your anti-virus utility while updating via HX Edit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

USB issues are with windows and how it's managing, or mis-managing, the usb ports.  Windows has real challenges keeping every possible combination of USB ports and other hardware peripherals working right when there are many thousands of combinations out there.... cut it some slack.

 

But look into how to solve USB BSOD issues with your computer, not at the line6 driver as being the problem, I think.  Go ahead and report the bug if you like (using official bug reporting system), I'm sure it doesn't hurt.  But in the meantime I'd look at solving it yourself, by googling about it for your particular computer, and probably it will involve some kind of uninstall and reinstall of drivers, or uninstall and reboot which auto reinstalls drivers, or something like that.

 

Worth a shot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Make sure you are not running any Logitech software, like GHUB, Setpoint or Options.  Logitech causes BSOD's with Helix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, kringle said:

Make sure you are not running any Logitech software, like GHUB, Setpoint or Options.  Logitech causes BSOD's with Helix.


Well well well, you fricking legend. Never would have thought to check that!

I've got LGS running for my G29 Gaming Wheel. I'll exit it and see if I have any more issues!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One more tip - Other logitech services tend to stay running in the background, so if closing the main app doesn't work - pull up task manager and make sure no other logitech processare are running and kill any you find.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...