Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500x Guitar Input for Line Level Sources

maxpATCH

How well does the guitar input (or Aux input) handle line level sources on the HD500x? I know I can use the FX returns for line level signals but that's not what I'm asking here - i'm asking specifically about how the guitar input handles line level signals. I was considering a setup where I used an analog mixer Aux send into the guitar input of the HD500x. I know for traditional guitar pedals you would want to use a reamp box but the HD500x isn't traditional and can handle line level inputs and outputs on certain jacks. Would it overload too easily or would the impedances be mismatched enough to hurt the sound? Because the input impedance is variable, what would be the best setting for line level signals? Thanks!

Generally speaking the device Guitar Input can handle well also Line level signals but the models response is calibrated more effectively for Instrument level signals like the one coming from standard electric guitars.

That said guitars with active pickups or preamplified signal also exist and they typically give Line level signals, that's why there is also a PAD switch available on the unit, ie to make the models to handle well also the hot Line level input signals by lowering their level by about 6 dB.

Moreover, (probably not everyone is aware of it) by default setting the HD500/X input signal is already boosted by about 6 dB, since there are 2 virtual inputs in the chain and the 2nd one replicates by default what the 1st one does, thus the result is that 2 same signals reach the fist model in the chain instead of just one, but this behavior can be easily changed through the input settings.

In conclusion, I suggest not to act through the impedance settings (1 MΩ or 3.5 MΩ generally are good settings) which if set to low values on the one hand would lower the signal level a little but at the same time would darken the tone, but rather as a solution use the PAD switch for Line level signals, and possibly correct the input settings by neutralizing the 2nd virtual input by setting it to an unused source.

On my forum/website there is a post with a more elaborate explanation about the HD500/X input settings and how they affect the models response:

https://allabouthd500x.altervista.org/allabouthd500x/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17&sid=0bfedf9c060e83a3b7bb215fc87ceeae

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

Thanks for the reply and the link, it was a good read. I'm away from my setup for a few weeks but when I get back I'll plan to use the pad to prevent overloading and set the impedance to 3.5M ohm as i'm on auto now and don't want to darken my tone. Might even record some A/B's of guitar to guitar in on HD500x VS guitar to DI to mixer to guitar in on HD500x and see if it makes much of a difference and report back. 

Good tip about paying attention to the doubling up of identical inputs - i would have expected line 6 to reduce the levels if the inputs were the same rather than always summing, but always summing is fine as long as i know to set the other input to something else. Overall I doubt it will make a dealbreaker difference tonewise to feed the guitar input directly vs through the mixer aux.