Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod New Owner Of The Hd500!

Areyna21

So this is my rig that I've put together over the past couple years. This is my new rig day because it has finally all come together. Had to sell off my old rig after my old band broke up. I have scavenged the net and local sellers to piece this together at a low price. Just these past couple of weeks I acquired the cab and yesterday the hd500 came in the mail. Now to get to the headache of tweaking this via the 4 cable method. I have read both advanced guides for the hd500 and m13 for the effects. Not to count the pod threads and youtube videos. If any of you want to shoot some 4cm patches my way or quick tips I wouldn't mind though. So far I've only tried getting the hang of moving things around and getting familiar with the controls. What do you guys use to create recording patches like monitors or headphones? What general settings on the pod not amp models but the pod itself do you use?

Ibanez rg7620Vk with BKP warpig bridge-$300

Esp horizon standard custom 1991(not pictured)-$300

Rivera Knucklehead II-$700

Marshall 1960A-$300

Pod Hd500-$275

Total-$1875

Score! Great deal on some seriously LOUD gear!! Nice, very nice.

I won't discourage you from using the 4CM, it may end up being the way to go with a rig like that. Doing a quick image search of the back panel of the Rivera definitely looks good - I see level controls for  both the send and return of the FX loop.

Something you will definitely want to experiment with, will be

1.) do some recording, direct from the HD500 to a recording device. I typically use the USB to my PC. Set the HD500 in "studio/direct" mode.

2.) then, with those same tones, use a 1/4" cable from the out of the HD500 to the return of the Rivera. Keep the HD500 in studio/direct mode, and if possible, also use the same recording method.

3.) then, change the output mode of the HD500 to "stack/poweramp" or "combo/poweramp". This removes the microphone modelling, and just emulates the preamp / cabinet / poweramp tones with the HD500. The first two items I mention will give you recording and main mix friendly signals. This option #3 will not; the recording will not sound right, nor will a direct feed off the HD500 in the non-studio-direct modes.

From there, use what your ears tell you, and the ideas you read up on for what you want to do with the 4 cable method.

In a nutshell, the 4 cable method bypasses either the Rivera's preamp tones, or the HD500's preamp tones, based on whether the FX loop is on or off. When using the Rivera's preamp, you are using the HD500 for FX modelling only. When using the HD500 preamps, you bypass the Rivera preamp, and create a signal path similar to items 2 and 3 that I mentioned. Either way, you utilize the Rivera's poweramp.

For example, dial in a tone you like with the Rivera, then find amp models on the HD500 which sound similar. Tweak them back and forth until you get a comparble A/B between the two tones.

I have used the 4CM in the past, but then once I moved on to a DT amp, that's been my go-to for everything. You got a good deal on that HD500, it will just take you some time thinking about making patches based on the connections you will use. If you create studio/direct patches for direct recording, they will also sound fine going into the FX return of the Rivera.

In terms of optimizing patches for the 4CM, you will need to think about them in a different way. For example, when using a DT amp with L6Link, you only use the "PRE" models on the HD500, not the full models. In that instance, the DT handles all the poweramp characteristics and the HD500 handles the pre-amp and FX.

Have fun!

post-1188905-0-08751100-1392913256_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Found some posts in the forum archive, and a YouTube video which may be of some help. The original poster is also active on these forums, he would be a good resource for chatting this over with~

http://line6.com/support/user/381227-rowbi/

From YouTube:

From archived support forum:

http://line6.com/supportarchivenew/thread/55328

Re: Pod HD 500 4 cable method
by Rowbi on 2011-01-28 05:36:05

the 4 cable method is a way of using an FX pedal to give you some OD/gain/boost FX infront of your tube amp's preamp, and then to put some time based FX in the loop of your tube amp, like delay and reverb.

if you want to use the amp models in your POD HD500, then the 4CM is not the best way to do it.

if you do decide to turn off the amp models on the POD, you should use studio mode, and then you may want to play with the FX loop send and return levels on your POD to get those levels right.  i would suggest you would need the FX loop at line level but reduce the send level to -14db to balance the instrument level in on your amp and the line level fx send on your amp.

if you want to use the POD's amp sims, set it to combo power amp in the output mode, then on the switches, select live (not amp) and live(not studio) and use the pre models.  then connect the output of your POD to the fx return on your tube amp.

• Upvote 1