Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Amplifi Update Available (bluetooth Fixes)

charlyg

Hi Chariy. I haven't seen the update.  Do you know how I can link to it?  Thanks   AE

I think the only way you can see is in the Amplifi app. While you're connected to the amp via Bluetooth, go to the settings menu in the app, and you'll see a heading that says "Updates" with "Amp Flash" underneath that. Hit that, and it should tell you that an update is available.

• Upvote 1

Yup. I fired it up and checked for updates(I don't remember if it told me there was an update before I checked).....sorry

I neglected to shutdown the app after cycling power on the amp. It needs to shutdown and restart as well....D'oh!

I just checked and the only update I see is the v1.00.5 which was released on 23rd Jan.

Unless I'm missing something???

So perhaps it's not a 'new' update, but it's likely all the amps out there in stores will need it as it would have been released probably too late for the first batch of manufacturers amps.

No biggie though, as anyone using the app should see it and update it.

Andy

Does anyone know where the changes for the update  v1.00.5  are published?   Why should I update?   Anyway to go back to prior if I don't like this update?

I had an Amplifi 150 with original and then this updated firmware and the startup led C didn't come on at power up with either firmware, but no problems, all worked.   That one had orginal and the update and I swear after the update bluetooth disconnected more after the update.

So I just couldn't stay away, given what I do; play with a band occasionally out of state, this amp is for me and everything works perfectly except now for this one led b is more dim than the others on power up.   I ignore this now as a non-issue but I borrow my son's IPAD mini (not the lastest with the retna whatever it is display) and I have no disconnect problems at all, I mean none, in fact I am wondering why even bother with the upgrade?    I like the presets that came with it just fine and perhaps if I go to the update v1.00.5  I won't like those as much and have no way to go back?  Are the four presets the same in the v1.00.5 update or different?

I am worried Line 6 is knee jerk reacting to complaints and fixing something that doesn't need fixing in v1.00.5 or fixing things for specific IOS devices maybe.

Who has more data on this update, what it exactly fixes etc v1.00.5 ?

I already talked to Line 6 support about the leds at power up and seriously doubt they will have any answers about this update, its like a sales person is handling the support there instead of technical people with technical answers.   Sorry Line 6, you have a fantastic product here but you need to make some in house support changes, if you didn't know that already.

No back to factory defaults info is available either anywhere.   I fear change, since I like now my second 150 as bought NIB.   Every day I wonder well should I try the update today or not...  If I like my 150 I can keep my 150, as is, maybe?   Thoughts?

I upgraded to the new firmware and it didn't affect my presets, My Tones, or Favorites.

However, here are a couple of thoughts. Save your preset tones to My Tones. This way if you change them later you can always find the ones you used previously.

Also, if you want to change your amp back to factory settings,  this can be done by pressing and holding the Master Volume knob and Tone button as you power up the amp.

OPERATING TIP: (BTW, here's a tip:  From the main page of the app, go to  "Settings>About AMPLIFI Remote>AMPLIFI Remote Support>" to find specs and various info about both the 75 and 150 models. At the bottom of the page is a FAQ with other useful info)  AE

I upgraded to the new firmware and it didn't affect my presets, My Tones, or Favorites.

However, here are a couple of thoughts. Save your preset tones to My Tones. This way if you change them later you can always find the ones you used previously.

Also, if you want to change your amp back to factory settings,  this can be done by pressing and holding the Master Volume knob and Tone button as you power up the amp.

(BTW, here's a tip:  From the main page of the app, go to  "Settings>About AMPLIFI Remote>AMPLIFI Remote Support>" to find specs and various info about both the 75 and 150 models. At the bottom of the page is a FAQ with other useful info)  AE

To JMJMEYERS -- It appears I was wrong when I said I've updated my firmware to V1.00.5. I plan to do so soon and can let you know if it affects my tone settings.  According to the detail writeup about the upgrade it says" AMPLLIFI V1.00.5 makes a number of improvements to Bluetooth communications between the app and the AMPLIFI. It is recommended that all customers complete this update.  What's new?  -- Improvements to Bluetooth connectivity when coming in and out of range; -- Improvements to Bluetooth data connectivity when the app return to the IOS foreground."  AE

Okay, thanks Charly.  I was wondering that myself. 

I just did the "update", it took 45 minutes to go through the process, and after I rebooted the app and the amp, when I checked the "About AMPLIFI" it still said version 1.00.1.  I think it's not updating the info there.  Good news is that none of my tones or choices have been affected. 

I'm going to leave it alone and hope I've done the firmware update correctly.  When Line 6 puts out another update that may actually have some features (like maybe more banks or preset options), it will be easier to assess if the update is taking hold.  AE

Well. just great...  I updated to 1.00.5 and all seemed to go well.  Finished, rebooted.   Bluetooth connects, now when I login to the IOS app it says this exactly " Oops!  We encountered and unexpected error.   Please try again later.  Logged in "  there is a in blue text "OK" and this is all in a little white box on the IOS app.

So the amp works as a basic stand alone amp.   Can't really tell if 1.00.5 is in but it finished completely.   I get this Opps message on the IOS device, IPAD Mini even with it totally powered off and back on and all reset, drop bluetooth reconnect nothing seems to make a difference.   So lets see using this amp to play with the band when I can't have the band here, I go out of state to play and then what if this happens?   I am not liking the website control Line 6 has over this amp.  I worried about website problems and now I have one and there is no way out.   I logged in via a computer fine its something to do with the websites account knowledge of my device now even though it blue tooth connects just fine using IOS device.   I will wait awhile and try again, maybe and hour from now I will try again and now I am going to go find it's box, just in case.

I appreciate that suggesting but I could not tell anything.  After that update even after shutdown of all multiple times and the Oops message from the Amplifi app I could not see anything about any update, all was greyed out as in unavailable.  There must be some postback/callback going on where their site registers what serial numbers got the 1.00.5 update installed and something perhaps was down perhaps for the update website even though it fully did update and complete as it said so.

Its been a few hours I think since this occured at least, tried it again now (not the update, as that said it was done) and all is fine and shows 1.00.5 is installed and all is working now.  Led lights so far all coming on equally dim and same at power off on 1.00.5.

The above Amplifi still shows 1.00 as others also indicated so that doesn't mean anything and is a bug I think too.

Default presets for 1.00.5 are the same as in 1.00 version, named the same and sound the same.   I have not found a way to save the factory default presets to My Tones however so I won't overwrite any just yet.  Search on the name won't do it, there is no American Clean found when searched.

Clearly one must have what they need in the 4 presets in just in case the website acts up form.   Never did get the box out and now I won't but this was a wake up call to have my 4 presets very sufficient.  Playing live you could never rely on the website or I will assume that upfront.  4 presets are enough for me....my Marshall only has two realistically anyway clean and distortion channel.   As I understand it the Fender Mustang can't do more than one effect at once so this is still the best device for me as long as the website dependancy is well understood/kept in mind.

What I would like is some device that could keep a bluetooth "sendable to the amp" repository of of My Tones without any need for the line 6 website for Amplifi app login.   I would pay for a seperate device that did just that.   Or Line 6 could make the app work without the login to the website required or make that optional, storing My Tones on the IOS device instead.  Being a mobile device application and web developer I know what is possible and I would like Line 6 to fix/remove the persistant dependancy on the website and I know they could if they wanted to.

All is well again, if you fixed something thanks Line 6.  A lot of jamming and practice occurs on Saturdays, not a good day for website maintenance, just saying..

Glad things are working for you again. Regarding saving original factory presets, I don't know if the following will work (since I didn't save my factory defaults), but it might be worth a try if you haven't done so already:  From your AMPLIFI Remote (app) main page, select the "AMPLIFI" section to find your four presets. HIt the circled > at end of tone name which takes you to the editor; hit "save info" at bottom of screen; go to "Title" and put cursor at end of the name, add a space then back space to keep the name the same (or change it if you wish); this will activate the "save" function in the upper left-hand corner; tap on "save" and this will give you the choice to "Save to My Tones".

This is pretty basic and I'm sure you already tried this -- but I thought I'd throw it out there just in case you hadn't.  AE

Glad things are working for you again. Regarding saving original factory presets, I don't know if the following will work (since I didn't save my factory defaults), but it might be worth a try if you haven't done so already: From your AMPLIFI Remote (app) main page, select the "AMPLIFI" section to find your four presets. HIt the circled > at end of tone name which takes you to the editor; hit "save info" at bottom of screen; go to "Title" and put cursor at end of the name, add a space then back space to keep the name the same (or change it if you wish); this will activate the "save" function in the upper left-hand corner; tap on "save" and this will give you the choice to "Save to My Tones".

This is pretty basic and I'm sure you already tried this -- but I thought I'd throw it out there just in case you hadn't. AE

I did something similar so I could get the presets back later if I wanted them - that procedure should work fine

Clearly one must have what they need in the 4 presets in just in case the website acts up form.   Never did get the box out and now I won't but this was a wake up call to have my 4 presets very sufficient.  Playing live you could never rely on the website or I will assume that upfront. 

I agree that for live performance you can never rely on the website -- or for that matter the bluetooth.  For live performance purposes, I see the "amp" part of AMPLIFI as needing to be self-contained not unlike any other amp I own.  At a gig, I want to plug my guitar into an amp and have it to work, period -- with whatever hardwired knobs, input and output jacks, and physically changeable presets that come on the amp.  I may use the amp to play mp3 music between sets, and I may even use the bluetooth for this, but I wouldn't depend on it -- I'd always have a backup cable to plug directly into the amp.  Frankly, in addition to the issues you mentioned about website dependency,  I find the bluetooth operations on this unit too "iffy" to depend on during live performances or serious recordings. I have bluetooth connectivity problems with my Bose speaker too, but the issue seem more prevalent with the AMPLIFI.  - AE

Under "About AMPLIFi," it shows version 1.00.1 installed.  Under "Amp Flash Version" and "Show Previous Releases" it says 1.00.5 is installed. 

I guess I can say that I at least have 1.00.1 but possibly have 1.00.5.  Who knows.

Does anyone know where the changes for the update  v1.00.5  are published?   Why should I update?   Anyway to go back to prior if I don't like this update?

I am assuming they will publish a change log at some point. Perhaps it could be available online in its entirety, and show the latest 2-3 changes on the app? This is common practice with software. As a QA guy, I can only imagine how much testing and retesting must have to happen with all of the supported devices and hardware they have to manage. Form the software version, it looks like they are really just getting started so it seems like we should bear with them as they work a few kinks out. Sometimes living on the bleeding edge has a few pitfalls, but the product is very solid and I am thrilled with it thus far.

Not sure if I'm articulating the issue well enough.  The bluetooth connects just fine and music can be played through the amp all day long.  It's the actual remote AMP sync, tone editor, etc are all grayed out even while I can still stream music.  The remote amp control features is what's not working for me until I powercycle everything 25 times.  Latest IOS, iPad 2 (Retina), and I've factory reset the Amplifi already, with latest flash as well.  No Change.

I'm buying a new iPad today just to test a second IOS device.

might not not be unexpected:

Q: What should I do If I am experiencing connection issues with the AMPLIFi Remote app when I swtich back and fourth between apps on my iOS device?

A: An important thing to note about the AMPLIFi Remote app functionality, is that in addition to the iOS bluetooth connection between your AMPLIFi and your iOS device, there is a secondary 'sync' connection between the amp and the app. Each time you minimize/close the app, the connection between the AMPLIFi Remote app and the AMPLIFi will need to be re-established even if your iOS device is reporting that the AMPLIFi is connected via 'Bluetooth'. In this case, re-opening the AMPLIFi Remote app, will automatically re-establish the connection within a few seconds. Make sure to look at the main menu of the AMPLIFi Remote app and wait for it to indicate that your amp is 'connected' before moving forward using the app. If it does not automatically re-connect, close the AMPLIFi Remote app by double tapping your iOS home key and than sliding the AMPLIFi Remote app window up and off the screen to fully close the app. Than relaunch the AMPLIFi Remote app and it should re-sync itself with the amp. 

Not sure if I'm articulating the issue well enough.  The bluetooth connects just fine and music can be played through the amp all day long.  It's the actual remote AMP sync, tone editor, etc are all grayed out even while I can still stream music.  The remote amp control features is what's not working for me until I powercycle everything 25 times.  Latest IOS, iPad 2 (Retina), and I've factory reset the Amplifi already, with latest flash as well.  No Change.

I'm buying a new iPad today just to test a second IOS device.

I'm not switching or minimizing apps.  I turn the amp on.  I press the bluetooth button.  I bluetooth connect on my iPad.  The light turns solid blue.  The amp features are grayed out.  There is a NONE under Amplifi, yet I can still play music through it.  The only app running or not running is the Amplifi Remote App.  Re-opening the app after the double tap and swipe up to close doesn't fix it either.  The bluetooth light on the amp remains solid, but the app does not sync with the amp until I do this more than a dozen times, everything remains grayed out as my hair gets grayer too.  I just want to play...

If it does the same thing with a brand new iPad (we'll know later this afternoon), I'm sending this thing back for a replacement since it seems no one else is having this problem.

When I startup the app after turning on the Amplifi. It says synching below Amplifi, when connected it says connected. If you don't see synching the app does not see the Amplifi. Whether it is on the iPad or not will be found out soon enough....

In other words, turn on the Amplifi, wait til the blue light flashes, then start the app, and see if it is trying to synch. if not check bluetooth settings on iPad to see if it sees the Amplifi.

In the iPad's Bluetooth settings, the IOS has no trouble seeing the Amplifi and immediately connects (and says CONNECTED) as soon as it sees it.  Then I launch the app and nothing happens.  All I see is NONE.  I close the app, re-open it, still the same.  NONE.  No sync attempt, no connected, no nothing, it just sits here as if there is no connection whatsoever.  However, like I said, I can still stream music from my library to the amp...so it's just the Guitar AMP part of it.

Heading out for a new iPad now...

Yep, it shows up there but all else is grayed out.

Just bought a brand new iPad Air.  Brought it home, unboxed it, set it up, installed the Amplifi Remote App....same exact thing is happening.

My amp is faulty...updating my support ticket.

Brand new IOS device, out of the box.  Bluetooth connects immediately, but no amp connect, it just says NONE under Amplifi.

This has to be a bad amp.....taking it back to the store tomorrow.

Not with this one....my local guitarcenter has 4 in stock now and they're replacing mine tomorrow.  2 IOS devices (one brand new out of the box today) with the exact same problem.  It's not like I don't know how to use this stuff, it's insulting at a point.  I can figure most stuff out, but not this...it's just not working :(