Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Recording from M20d

i bought an new StageScape M20d but having problems recording live band. it does not record onto the SD cards (all new and formatted) nor does it appear on my MacBook as an input option for GarageBand (Ive downloaded the latest driver but my MacBook does not see it) ? I've tried to update the firmware - its 1,20 currently but it appears you cannot do this via USB and using a USB flash drive does not work either - what am I missing?

Thee are a few considerations here, depending on what you are trying to accomplish.

First, the M20d is not designed to be an audio interface for general DAW purposes. It should be recognized by GarageBand for audio input purposes,  but only to record the stereo mix of all M20d inputs. In other words, you should be able to record the same mix that appears at the M20d main outputs. You will not be able to record the individual input channels (dry or wet) onto separate DAW tracks. Further, the latency between the M20d and your computer/DAW is too great to do anything with the recorded track on playback. You won’t be able, for instance, to add a track to the recording using the M20d with any sort of tempo sync.

You should be able to record to the SD card if properly formatted (Class 10 SD, FAT32, max 64Gb I think). Only one digital channel is available at a time - USB drive, SD, or USB to PC. So if trying to record to the SD card or USB drive make sure only one of them is connected to the M20d and disconnect it from your PC. Once you’ve recorded the individual channel tracks onto the SD card you can then import them as individual tracks from the card into your DAW for further plug-in processing but, as described earlier, you won’t be able to effectively add or re-record tracks using the M20d.

Consult the Recording chapter in the manual for more details.  For further help here please describe what you are trying to do in more detail. What is your purpose in recording?

• 1 month later...
On 1/2/2021 at 6:37 PM, silverhead said:

Thee are a few considerations here, depending on what you are trying to accomplish.

First, the M20d is not designed to be an audio interface for general DAW purposes. It should be recognized by GarageBand for audio input purposes,  but only to record the stereo mix of all M20d inputs. In other words, you should be able to record the same mix that appears at the M20d main outputs. You will not be able to record the individual input channels (dry or wet) onto separate DAW tracks. Further, the latency between the M20d and your computer/DAW is too great to do anything with the recorded track on playback. You won’t be able, for instance, to add a track to the recording using the M20d with any sort of tempo sync.

You should be able to record to the SD card if properly formatted (Class 10 SD, FAT32, max 64Gb I think). Only one digital channel is available at a time - USB drive, SD, or USB to PC. So if trying to record to the SD card or USB drive make sure only one of them is connected to the M20d and disconnect it from your PC. Once you’ve recorded the individual channel tracks onto the SD card you can then import them as individual tracks from the card into your DAW for further plug-in processing but, as described earlier, you won’t be able to effectively add or re-record tracks using the M20d.

Consult the Recording chapter in the manual for more details.  For further help here please describe what you are trying to do in more detail. What is your purpose in recording?

Thanks for the information, keep sharing this type of info    

• 1 month later...

I would like to correct the position for studio recording slightly. You can record additional tracks in sync if you correctly set the latency compensation in your DAW, and can live with a second or so lag between pressing play/record and the music starting.

The process to get the correct settings is a little laborious but on Reaper and Windows for me when set as 12 in and 2 out you have to turn off the Audio driver reported and set Output Manual Offset = 71067 and Input Manual Offset = 26827.

As you can see that is nearly 100,000 samples of compensation which with a 48k sample rate is 2 seconds of latency. But once set you can listen to previously recorded tracks while tracking new ones without having to align the tracks afterwards.

• Upvote 2

• 1 year later...
On 4/2/2021 at 10:06 AM, Rewolf48 said:

I would like to correct the position for studio recording slightly. You can record additional tracks in sync if you correctly set the latency compensation in your DAW, and can live with a second or so lag between pressing play/record and the music starting.

The process to get the correct settings is a little laborious but on Reaper and Windows for me when set as 12 in and 2 out you have to turn off the Audio driver reported and set Output Manual Offset = 71067 and Input Manual Offset = 26827.

As you can see that is nearly 100,000 samples of compensation which with a 48k sample rate is 2 seconds of latency. But once set you can listen to previously recorded tracks while tracking new ones without having to align the tracks afterwards.

Can you elaborate a bit on this? I tried this 1.5k bucks (at the time) mixer as an audio interface for recording my guitar with native on reaper but I get more than 1 second latency …both in playing and playback,with your method should I at least be able to not have the playing latency ? It’s a shame that such a nice anc costly mixer can’t function as a zero latenci interface …