Sign in to follow this  
marcwormjim

Re: Ordering JTV US

Hi, all. Does anyone have insight into the ordering process for a US JTV (e.g. build time vs quoted time, options other than color, etc).

I ask because I have a Korean 89F that I’m considering refinishing, but will happily order a US model instead if I can request lighter blanks be used for the build, or if there’s any choice in woods used. I understand if specs other than a limited color selection are non-negotiable - I’ve just never seen owner experiences posted to go by.

From what I’ve seen the JTV US models are stock items. The variations seem to be in material quality like a solid top rather than a veneer. I’ve seen it said that the pickups are the same on the JTV59 but I don’t know for sure. I see the word custom used a lot but that refers to the build quality rather than the ability to spec the guitars as desired.

I may however be very wrong. My JTV59 is excellent. I can’t image how much better the US version would be.

"Custom" is little more than a marketing term in the guitar universe... it provides the illusion of choice in order to justify an outrageous price tag. In this case, it means that you get a quarter-sawn neck, and you can pick from amongst a few extra colors than the rest of the rabble... beyond that, there's not much "custom" about it.

If you're gonna spend 4 grand on a guitar, buy a PRS w/piezos and call it a day...

Ah. Sounds like nothing’s changed in the last six years. I’ll just stick to the plan to mod my old 89F (assuming no one else chimes in in support of the US line between now and then). Thanks, gents.

4 hours ago, marcwormjim said:

Ah. Sounds like nothing’s changed in the last six years. I’ll just stick to the plan to mod my old 89F (assuming no one else chimes in in support of the US line between now and then). Thanks, gents.

I'm sure that there are at least some who've ponied up the cash, who'll tell you that they're the greatest thing since indoor toilets... but I've played enough boutique instruments to know what "custom" actually means. It means you get to choose exactly what you want...not just "I'll take a blue one". When you get to see the raw cuts of wood in their shop and pick the individual pieces you want, when you choose the neck radius and profile, the pickups, the finish, the hardware, inlays... etc etc... when there isn't another one out there that's just like yours, that's when you've purchased a "custom" instrument. $4K buys a lot of guitar. There are talented builders all over the place who aren't necessarily household names, but who know their craft, and take pride in what they do and making their customers happy. If the world ever goes back to normal, find a local guitar show and see what/who is out there in your neck of the woods. You'll probably be surprised.