Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Bug? Native v3.01 AU not loading in Izotope RX 8 audio editor

lou-kash

Recently I bought the Izotope RX 8 Elements audio editor.

I noticed that Helix Native doesn't show up in its AU plugins list.

All usual troubleshooting like clearing all caches incl. AU cache and rebooting done, to no avail.

At the same time, the VST version of Native 3.01 runs in RX8 just fine.

Also, the Native AU loads fine in Logic Pro X, Amadeus Pro 2, DSP-Quattro 5. Heck, even in Apple's Au Lab 2.3 from 2012…

Helix Native 3.01

MacOS 10.11.6 El Capitan (I could also test it from Sierra up to Catalina, but haven't yet)

MacBookPro9,1

13 hours ago, lou-kash said:

At the same time, the VST version of Native 3.01 runs in RX8 just fine.

If the VST version functions as it should in RX8 Elements, then simply use that version.

As Elements is the stripped down of the application, then I would download the 30 day demo of the full version to see if the same thing happens with that one. There must be a reason that Elements is only 10% of the price of Standard. I realise that third party plugin hosting is a feature of the software, but there is also the chance that the bug/issue is in Izotope RX8 Elements rather than something in HX Native. Might be worth investigating this with Izotope Customer Support. I also think that Izotope have a list of compatible software on their site.

I use some Izotope plugins that are really good, but I generally tend use Adobe Audition for audio clean up jobs, so I haven’t any first hand experience of RX8.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, datacommando said:

If the VST version functions as it should in RX8 Elements, then simply use that version.

Of course.

The point is that I want to know why things don't work as they should.

I would download the 30 day demo of the full version to see if the same thing happens with that one.

Been there done that: Launching the app in a different user account launches it as a demo.

Same issue.

To do: install RX8 & Helix Native on Sierra/High Sierra/Mojave/Catalina partitions and check there, too.

There must be a reason that Elements is only 10% of the price of Standard.

There is a reason why it's cheaper –current massive discount notwithstanding – but this is not it. (For the record: regular prices are $129 for Elements, $299 for Standard. The sale is likely to end today.)

there is also the chance that the bug/issue is in Izotope RX8 Elements rather than something in HX Native

I guess so, too, but I just wanted to report it here, just in case.

RX8 also fails to load several TDR AU plugins that were recently updated for Apple Silicon. That's 100% reproducible on my machine e.g. when installing TDR Nova AU v2.1.4: it won't appear in RX8 at all. Downgrade Nova to v2.1.3, rescan plugins, and there it is again.

Might be worth investigating this with Izotope Customer Support.

That will be my next step.

I generally tend use Adobe Audition for audio clean up jobs

Audition is fine in theory and in practice, but I'm not going to tie myself into Adobe's "creative cloud" rip-off, ever. I'm a graphic designer by profession, and one of the reasons my "mission critical" partition runs El Capitan is the pre-cloud Adobe CS5 suite of design app: InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, you name it. I'm slowly but steadily migrating my workflow to the Affinity Publisher/Designer/Photo suite, to get rid of all Adobe altogether.

But yeah, that's my personal choice.

I haven’t any first hand experience of RX8.

Neither had I, but a week ago I asked on the Amadeus Pro forum (a fine audio editor on its own) if they have any plans to add destructive spetrogram editing. Amadeus already has an excellent spectrogram renderer – either from a file or directly from an audio stream – which is part of my audio workflow since over a decade. A fellow user then recommended to have a look at RX8. At first I thought that the spectrogram editor is only in the Standard edition which is over my budget, but I downloaded the demo nonetheless. You can choose which version you want to demo, and so I was surprised that even the Elements can do that, albeit with a few minor limitations. So for just $29, it was a no-brainer, as it's going to replace the "antique" and ultimately obsolete Soundtrack Pro spectrogram editor that I got with the Logic Studio 9 suite. So as far as RX8 Elements goes, I'm in it primarily for spectrogram editing and everything else is just the icing on the cake. But hat doesn't mean that bugs and issues shouldn't be documented, does it? ;)

1 hour ago, lou-kash said:

The point is that I want to know why things don't work as they should.

Good point indeed.

Been there done that: Launching the app in a different user account launches it as a demo.

Same issue.

Alway good to check.

I just wanted to report it here, just in case.

Always good to know of any possible problems.

I'm a graphic designer by profession

Off topic//

Same here, but now retired. I left Art School in 1969 and spent years as both an Airbrush Artist and the Supervisor of a traditional “lick and stick” studio and darkroom - all Rapidograph tech pens, Letraset, Cow Gum and chemistry. Around 1987 I convinced my then employers to adopt Apple’s “new technology” by producing camera-ready artwork from a Mac SE30, Aldus PageMaker and an early Apple PostScript Printer. From 1990 up to 2017 I worked as a professional freelance Digital Design consultant and trainer in Adobe graphic apps, so I guess I just stuck with their products through familiarity.

Affinity is a good product- give it a spin.

So for just $29, it was a no-brainer

That’s a good deal. You may also have come across Zplane’s DeCoda and PEEL which are sort of similar in some ways. I was intending to download a demo of each of these to try out. 
link:

https://products.zplane.de/peel

Hope you can figure out why the AU doesn’t load.

Regards.

1 hour ago, datacommando said:

Off topic//

Rapidograph tech pens, Letraset, Cow Gum and chemistry

Having been in art school 1983–1988, that also used to be my daily bread for many years to come…

Mac SE30, Aldus PageMaker and an early Apple PostScript Printer

… but that's exactly where I found myself in 1989 as well! The university library in Berne, Switzerland, used to have a few IBMs and three SE30 and a LaserWriter in the reading room, and you could register as a user even as a non-student. The first time I came there I was asked if I already have some computer experience. I said no, and so I was advised to try the Mac first. So I found my way around the Mac by trial and error. Eventually someone installed PageMaker 3 on one of those, and I was hooked. I was self-employed since 1988, working as a freelance designer and musician, completely broke all the time. Apart from the library where I was printing my layout text sheets on the LaserWriter, I was choosing my "bestest buddies" by the Macs they owned, haha. Done many of my design jobs in exchange for fixing the issues people were having with their Macs, as I was always pretty good at troubleshooting. Eventually in 1999 I got a used LC475 from one of my buddies in exchange for one of my old turntables. Still got the LC, and it still works, as long as its PRAM battery is good

… Ah, those were the days…

That looks interesting, but not necessarily what I'm looking for. I use spectral editing mainly for restoration of analog transfers. Having done various mastering and remastering jobs in the recent years with historical recordings from the 50s/60s/70s/80s, some of them recorded live on abysmal 1/4" reel tapes @ 9.5 ips buried for decades in somene's filthy basement. Not all restoration like dropouts could be done that easily in Sountrack Pro, so I had to ask a buddy with an Audition license to let me use his Mac. That's where I learned what all can be done. Back then I would have even bought the standalone Audition CS if they were still selling and not "renting" it. So there goes Adobe, losing a sale. :P

And RX8 Elements can now do almost everything in spectral editing that I've learned from using Audition while the rest can be done in Amadeus Pro or – yuck – Audacity. So I'm set for some time to come. If I get enough jobs (hint, hint) later this year, I still may upgrade to the Standard edition. :)

What RX8 Elements cannot do is SRC.

But Apple's afconvert can. Automator workflow as a MacOS Service plugin, and there you have one of the best SRC that there is for free, on par with Izotope.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2021 at 4:30 PM, lou-kash said:

Having done various mastering and remastering jobs in the recent years with historical recordings from the 50s/60s/70s/80s, some of them recorded live on abysmal 1/4" reel tapes @ 9.5 ips buried for decades in somene's filthy basement.

Oh, yes, I gave up on that sort of thing after trying to rescue some old multitrack tapes that had been badly stored and had “magnetic print through” on most of them, plus they had to be baked in an oven. The last time I used Audition was a mainly to de-click and de-hiss some mid 1980s 4 track cassette tapes, but I wouldn’t want to do restoration full time.

They were original recorded on one of these, which now no longer functions and is gathering dust in the corner of the studio.

See pic attached.

Regards.

Edited by datacommando
Removed attachment
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, datacommando said:

baked in an oven

Ouch!

Got me a Stöckli Dörrex with a timer. Works like a charm, totally safe.

7 minutes ago, datacommando said:

de-click and de-hiss

For those tasks I've been using Brian Davies' ClickRepair and DeNoise/DeNoiseLF. Brilliant, albeit clunky to use with its awkward Java UI and workflow. Not sure what's their future will be, see https://clickrepair.net. I have yet to thoroughly test if RX8 Elements can match them. For what it's worth though, Amadeus Pro comes with similar tools, too. For certain specific tasks they are pretty good, too.

16 minutes ago, datacommando said:

I wouldn’t want to do restoration full time.

Oh, I love this kind of "beancounter" work. :D

~~~

Anyway, back on topic:

I'm looking forward to use Helix Native in RX8 to nicely chain a few "studio" tools like compressors and EQs within one plugin. If needed. Be it VST for now. Haven't used any VST plugins since at least a decade…

cheers

• Like 1

On 1/3/2021 at 12:05 AM, lou-kash said:

(I could also test it from Sierra up to Catalina, but haven't yet)

MacBookPro9,1

Alright, installed RX8 on Catalina, reinstalled Helix Native, same issue:

• Native AU doesn't load in RX8, Native VST does. The same with the TDR universal AU plugins.
  • No problems loading Native AU – or TDR AU, for that matter – in Logic 10.6.1 and other hosts.

That seems to confirm that it's a RX8 bug, so I'm off to Izotope support.

• Upvote 1

On 1/3/2021 at 11:57 PM, datacommando said:

See pic attached.

Oh, nice!

I still have Tascam Porta One that I bought used in 1990. It still works! I've digitized all my 4-track cassettes a few years ago. They're waiting to be remixed. Well, hopefully I'll have the time to do it when I'll retire in 11 years. :)

Oh, nice!

I still have Tascam Porta One that I bought used in 1990. It still works! I've digitized all my 4-track cassettes a few years ago. They're waiting to be remixed. Well, hopefully I'll have the time to do it when I'll retire in 11 years. :)

Ha, ha, ha! I still have a TASCAM Porta414 mkII and a 424 mkIII gathering dust in here somewhere, and I have nothing but time as I retired 3 years ago. Just having fun with the boys toys now.