Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Identifying Variax model

I'm thinking about buying a used Variax, and there's a chance I might not be able to give it a full test before purchasing. Three questions:

1) Can anyone identify this Variax model?

2) What are the tell-tales one should look for when considering buying a used legacy Variax like this?

3) With my rig I use keyboard emulation pedals (EHX Mel9, B9). I've noticed that different pickups push the pedals very different, with weaker pickups producing less of a signal from the pedal. Does anyone think the Variax might not send enough signal to push the pedals, based on the pickups it uses?

Thanks very much!

Image may contain: guitar and indoor

No photo description available.

13 hours ago, jcmathews said:

I'm thinking about buying a used Variax, and there's a chance I might not be able to give it a full test before purchasing. Three questions:

1) Can anyone identify this Variax model?

2) What are the tell-tales one should look for when considering buying a used legacy Variax like this?

3) With my rig I use keyboard emulation pedals (EHX Mel9, B9). I've noticed that different pickups push the pedals very different, with weaker pickups producing less of a signal from the pedal. Does anyone think the Variax might not send enough signal to push the pedals, based on the pickups it uses?

Thanks very much!

Hi!

1. Looks like a Variax 500 to me. I have exactly the same guitar. Your serial number might indicate that it was manufactured in 2003.

2. Check so all the sounds play as expected. Check so the model knob switches sounds as expected. Check so the neck is straight. See so you can return the item to the seller if you decide to.

3. You can always trim your output signal for the different models with  Variax workbench or just use a clean boost pedal to unify your gain.

Hope this helps