Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD Pro X - why so muffled?

LongDuckDong

Too much BASS and little PRESENCE in the default amp models settings. (and often too much DRIVE)

Fortunately, dedicated amp controls are at disposal, easy fix.

The output mode is also important, make sure it is set to Studio/Direct.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hurghanico said:

Too much BASS and little PRESENCE in the default amp models settings. (and often too much DRIVE)

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

The output mode was the culprit.  Thank you, sir.

On 1/8/2021 at 2:07 PM, hurghanico said:

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

Your suggestion helped, but I still have the muffled sound.  In fact all of the amps/cabs sound similar. 

My Spider Jam has the sound I like (Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier) which is nice and bright.  This is weird because the Pro X has the M/B Dual Rectifier, as well, but it sounds so much different (muffled) from the Spider Jam's sound (bright).  

35 minutes ago, LongDuckDong said:

Your suggestion helped, but I still have the muffled sound.  In fact all of the amps/cabs sound similar. 

My Spider Jam has the sound I like (Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier) which is nice and bright.  This is weird because the Pro X has the M/B Dual Rectifier, as well, but it sounds so much different (muffled) from the Spider Jam's sound (bright).  

Your Spider Jam has a speaker and that speaker affects all the sounds you get from that amp.

The HD Pro X has its own cab/speaker/mic models and each of them has its own sound which represents not less than 50% of the modeled amp sound.

Ideally you shouldn't send the modeled speaker signal into a real speaker for guitar, the modeled speaker signal should go instead into a flat response monitor, otherwise the result will be undoubtedly muffled because guitar speakers (real or modeled) are like heavy filters (flat response monitor are not) and sending an alteady filtered signal into another filter is too much in most cases.

So if you are connecting the POD to a guitar amp it would be better to disable the modeled cab,

or if you are instead connecting the POD to a flat response monitor or headphones you should try different mics and/or cabs models given that each of them change a lot the result.

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

23 hours ago, hurghanico said:

Your Spider Jam has a speaker and that speaker affects all the sounds you get from that amp.

The HD Pro X has its own cab/speaker/mic models and each of them has its own sound which represents not less than 50% of the modeled amp sound.

Ideally you shouldn't send the modeled speaker signal into a real speaker for guitar, the modeled speaker signal should go instead into a flat response monitor, otherwise the result will be undoubtedly muffled because guitar speakers (real or modeled) are like heavy filters (flat response monitor are not) and sending an alteady filtered signal into another filter is too much in most cases.

So if you are connecting the POD to a guitar amp it would be better to disable the modeled cab,

or if you are instead connecting the POD to a flat response monitor or headphones you should try different mics and/or cabs models given that each of them change a lot the result.

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

I hooked the Pro X up tomy studio monitors, wow, what a difference it makes.  Thanks.