Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hd Pro X - Revv

LongDuckDong

Development of the HD series finished before Helix was released, and so there have been no updates for a few years now, nor will there be in the future.

The Helix series still receives updates in which new models are added, some of which correspond to the amps and effects most desired by users.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

49 minutes ago, hurghanico said:

Development of the HD series finished before Helix was released, and so there have been no updates for a few years now, nor will there be in the future.

The Helix series still receives updates in which new models are added, some of which correspond to the amps and effects most desired by users.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

Thank you, again, sir.

So, eventually, the Helix will go the way of the HD Pro X?  Therefore, we'll have to upgrade to a new unit, again?

Seems like a marketing opportunity for Line 6, offer certain downloads of amps/cabs for all units.

I understand driving consumers to the new and improved unit (bigger margins) - however, they could delay new amp updates to older units, and still make money on them.  Limit the amps per bundle.  Everyone wins.

10 hours ago, LongDuckDong said:

So, eventually, the Helix will go the way of the HD Pro X?  Therefore, we'll have to upgrade to a new unit, again?

This is what has already happened with previous Line6 devices.

For a few years they receive updates with model additions and shortly before the successor is released the development of the previous one stops.

So Helix will also have the same fate of the HD and other predecessors.

Frankly, I believe it will always be like this.

Personally, I am not particularly interested in the possibility of adding new models or at least that would not be the main reason that would push me to upgrade to a new unit.

In fact, before moving on to the HD series I was using a XTL complete with all the additional model packs.

Currently with the HD series (even with all the model packs added) I have far fewer models available than before.

So in the end I preferred quality over quantity.

Also because I realized that almost all existing amps are more or less variations of amps from 3 main families Marshall, Fender and Vox, and that by combining the various elements available in the device you can create a multitude of different sounds and nuances, including many of those obtainable with the models not included.

As for me, the most interesting feature (that I would like to have) of the newer devices is the possibility of using impulse responses to add more speakers/cabs to the stock ones.

And you know that about half if not more than the particular sound of an amp depends on the cab used, so in the end, having more different cabs available is like having more different amps at disposal.

However I can still get all the sounds I need with my old HD500 for the genres I play most: rock, blues, jazz, funky, reggae. 

Since lately my HD500 occasionally gives some signs of aging, if I can't easily fix it maybe this year or the next I will buy a new device mainly for reliability reasons, but in case I haven't decided yet which one.

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

1 hour ago, hurghanico said:

This is what has already happened with previous Line6 devices.

For a few years they receive updates with model additions and shortly before the successor is released the development of the previous one stops.

So Helix will also have the same fate of the HD and other predecessors.

Frankly, I believe it will always be like this.

Personally, I am not particularly interested in the possibility of adding new models or at least that would not be the main reason that would push me to upgrade to a new unit.

In fact, before moving on to the HD series I was using a XTL complete with all the additional model packs.

Currently with the HD series (even with all the model packs added) I have far fewer models available than before.

So in the end I preferred quality over quantity.

Also because I realized that almost all existing amps are more or less variations of amps from 3 main families Marshall, Fender and Vox, and that by combining the various elements available in the device you can create a multitude of different sounds and nuances, including many of those obtainable with the models not included.

As for me, the most interesting feature (that I would like to have) of the newer devices is the possibility of using impulse responses to add more speakers/cabs to the stock ones.

And you know that about half if not more than the particular sound of an amp depends on the cab used, so in the end, having more different cabs available is like having more different amps at disposal.

However I can still get all the sounds I need with my old HD500 for the genres I play most: rock, blues, jazz, funky, reggae. 

Since lately my HD500 occasionally gives some signs of aging, if I can't easily fix it maybe this year or the next I will buy a new device mainly for reliability reasons, but in case I haven't decided yet which one.

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

I really appreciate your input.  Thank you.