Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

MIDI Controllers thru Helix as USB Interface

acbluke

Sorry if this topic has previously been addressed. I tried a number of searches but found nothing.

I'm using my new Helix as a USB audio interface, and it is working with audio sources great. My PC is Win10 with Reaper as my DAW, Intel i7-9750H 6 -core CPU, and 8GB RAM. The Helix is plugged directly into a USB 3.0 port, not via a hub, using the provided USB cable. The problem is with MIDI note data. I have my (admittedly ancient) Roland MKB-300 controller connected via the Helix's 5-pin USB In port. Reaper is dropping MIDI notes often when I play only moderately fast on the keyboard, especially when playing multiple notes with my right hand.

I have the Helix's MIDI Base Channel set to Omni, and MIDI Thru is on. MIDI over USB is on and MIDI Send is set to MIDI and USB. I have tried setting Reaper's buffer count higher, but this has not helped.

Any suggestions on how this might be fixed, or am I expecting too much of the Helix's USB or MIDI capabilities?

11 hours ago, acbluke said:

I have my (admittedly ancient) Roland MKB-300 controller connected via the Helix's 5-pin USB In port.

I assume that you meant the 5-pin MIDI DIN port, since Helix is not a USB HOST and shouldn't work at all plugging into the USB port.

The Helix BASE channel is irrelevant (and FWIW OMNI is always a bad idea), since what ever comes in the IN port from your keyboard goes out the OUT/THRU port on it's original channel.

Set your Roland to a specific channel, unused by Helix or anything else, and set your Reaper Track to receive on THAT channel.

Another thing to look at is the total combined length of your MIDI cables, their age and condition, and maybe use some non-lubricated contact cleaner on the cable end that connects to the ancient Roland. Squirt some cleaner on the connector and work it in and out of the socket a few times. DO NOT squirt the cleaner INTO the Roland socket!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, acbluke said:

Reaper is dropping MIDI notes often when I play only moderately fast on the keyboard, especially when playing multiple notes with my right hand.

I'm not a reaper user, but every DAW I have used has "midi filter" settings hiding somewhere. Find that and make sure it isn't set to filter out notes by velocity... and make sure there isn't some sort of input quantizing going on. 

I fully agree with the post above.... don't use OMNI. Take the time to assign discrete midi channels to avoid unwanted clutter on the same path. 

As far as I know, the only issue with using the Helix as a 'thru" device is that sysex messages will be filtered out. Other than that, you shouldn't have any issues. 

8 hours ago, ts020572 said:

I tried to use HX Stomp as audiointerface and MIDI-interface for my eDrum. The midi-latency was to high to use it with drums, so I switched back to my old Saffire interface. Same cables, same setup. 

Try to use an extra USB-MIDI-Interface.

Since I normally use my Helix Floor or my Scarlett 18i20 for this, and couldn't believe that there's a difference between Floor MIDI OR Scarlett and HXS, I took my HXS into the studio where my eDrums are and tested it.

There is no difference. There is as little MIDI latency going through the HXS as through the Floor, and that's as little as can be. It's EXACTLY the same as if I connect through my Scarlett 18i20. If you're experiencing MIDI latency with the HXS, there's some other problem in your setup.

It CERTAINLY is NOT causing OP's problem with dropped notes!

EDIT: Tested with Win10/i7-7500/Reaper/EZDrummer

Second Edit: While I had it set up I also tested with a MIDI KB and VST Synth. Again, no problem.