Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Buzz noise while using Overdrive

Fenderboat

Hello Helix users,

I use Helix LT since one year ago, and sometimes I face a buzz noise that I can not fix. 

It happens when using overdrive or increasing the gain of the amp (for blues tone for instance), indeed I can hear a buzz noise in the "background" of the sound.

When I use clean sound or high distortion and fuzz, it is OK.

It is really annoying because it prevents me to use the tones I like.

I use single coil guitars (telecaster & semi hollowbody), I think it is worse with semi hollowbody guitar.

I use 3.01 version (latest).

I tried to change cables, but it did not fixed the issue.

I use the helix only, (plug my guitar into, and hearing with appropriate headphones)

I attached 1 sound sample and preset.

Did someone ever face this issue ? I would really appreciate some help, as it is frustrating to not to use the helix as I would like to.

Thanks!

Buzz_noise.wav C Pri GliD SufLo.hlx

Everyone who has ever played

1 hour ago, Fenderboat said:

Did someone ever face this issue ? I would really appreciate some help, as it is frustrating to not to use the helix as I would like to.

Thanks!

Yes...everyone who has ever played guitar through any rig, for a long as electric guitars and amps have existed. Be it an analog or digital setup, higher gain = higher noise floor. There's no escaping it... that's why noise gates exist. When used properly, they will mitigate the problem, but with higher gain tones you'll never eliminate it competely.

Your other option is to get used to using a volume pedal... particularly when soloing. Roll the volume back in between phrases when the buzz jumps out... takes some getting used to, but in the end it's no more difficult than using a wah, and after a while you won't even know you're doing it anymore.

• Upvote 1

In addition to what cruisinon2 said, Single coil guitars are the worst. That's why HUMBUCKERS were invented.

Start by engaging the noisegate on the input block. Turn it up until the noise (when not playing) goes away.

Thanks guys for your replies, but the noise happens while playing, therefore the gate is not relevant.

You can hear it on the wav file.

Moreover, I know the issue with single coil guitar, but this is another problem.

(it is not 50 Hz or 60 Hz noise issue)

Thanks

To help isolate the cause of the problem you may want to try another known good cable. Although it may not be likely, both of the two cables you mentioned you have tried might be suffering from the same (or similar) problems introducing noise.

try reducing the Hum/Ripple parameters.....especially if its different per Amp model.   There was an amp model I was playing with a few weeks ago and it had that sorta hum just inherent in the sound whenever I'd play....reduced the 'hum' parameter and it was gone.  Didnt seem to affect 'feel' much at all though.  

• 11 months later...

I have the exact same issue, it's really annoying. Clean sounds are fine, but as soon as I put some light overdrive or gain on the amp, I get this weird buzzing noise that sounds really bad. Have you had any success fixing this? Could it be an issue with the unit itself? 

Hi,

Actually, I decided to send back my unit to Line6 in warranty. So, apparantly they changed some components.

Now the issue is almost fixed, the situation is better now. However, I think the issue is not solved at 100%. Sometimes I can still hear this bad noise, but I can live with it.

• 1 year later...

Hi, I was looking for some help and I found Your topic. Im facing the same problem in my HX Stomp but it happens only in the left output. I play higain music and this buzz makes the sound awful. I took it to local authorized Line 6 service in my city and the guy said that everything is fine and I should reduce some Hum/other stuff here and there. But it doesnt sound OK. It is hearable only with higain amps etc. It happens ONLY in left output (on the gig the foh guy said that I sound like Im not using an IRs. It was buzzing too). In the right it sounds how it should. Furthermore, I was using POD GO before switching to HX, and I didnt have problem like this. Both outputs sounded good. I dont know what to do. Probably I will send it back to the seller and they will send it to other service. The only thing I can do is praying that they will hear anything and wont check only clean amps etc.