Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

No Variac'd Plexi model??

bverdon

That model is a Line 6 original that they ported over from POD Farm for the HD model packs... I don't know if they'll bring over to the Helix or not. There are a lot of POD Farm models that aren't in the Helix.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, phil_m said:

That model is a Line 6 original that they ported over from POD Farm for the HD model packs... I don't know if they'll bring over to the Helix or not. There are a lot of POD Farm models that aren't in the Helix.

gotcha... well...they need to get it done! :-)

If you're looking for that early Van Halen sound, you should be able to get that from cranking the bias (in addition to diming all the gain/master/tone controls) and screwing around with sag and biasX options (I *think* increasing the sag a good deal, as well as the BiasX, will reproduce the weird effect that using a variac to lower voltage would have on the power amp section), in addition to sticking the Echoplex model in front of the amp model (I forgot the exact name) with the level cranked and delay repeats set to zero.  The Exotic Boost is also supposed to basically recreate the Echoplex preamp boost, if you want to go that route.

Also, weirdly enough, the Soldano crunch model with gain set between 4 and 7 with an EQ set in front of it as a bandwidth boost gives a surprisingly good 70s juiced Marshall sound, complete with the "kerraannngggggg" sound that people say is missing from the Marshall models.  I used it for a KISS patch that's not necessarily meant to be a 1 to 1 match with the album sound, but more of an idealized "what if" version of that sound.