Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Best ways to setup presets using both PA and an amp?

bsimmons106

I just got a helix LT earlier this week and after finally getting a grasp on how this thing works (at least the basics) I’m trying to figure out the best strategy for setting up my presets.

I could use some advice/feedback to make sure I am thinking about this the right way.

I play in a cover band and I like to use my amp when I practice (I’m not ready to give up the amp in the room feel). But I also want to be able to go directly into a mixer for live shows/monitoring/recording, etc. I’ve tested going into my combo amp using the 1/4 out in the Helix into my power amp in jack on the effects loop. I like the way this sounds after I EQ it a bit, so I’m thinking about splitting the signal path so I can EQ the amp signal prior to going to my amp only. Then sending the other path to PAs. I would also like the reserve the ability to use the Global EQ for adjusting my PA sound on the fly for different venues etc (excluding the 1/4 path for my amp).

So my thought is this:

• Use my XLR outs to go directly into the PA/mixer for shows.

• Split my signal path after my effects so one output goes to my combo amp’s powercab in using the 1/4 out, so I can EQ that path only.

• Utilize the Global EQ to adjust for shows using the XLR out only.

Anyone else do it this way? Any thoughts before I spend countless hours building my presets?

One other thing – I’ve been dialing everything in using FRFR headphones and it sounds great. However I’ve noticed that when I add an EQ to the path for my combo amp (1/4 out), the EQ is also adjusting my headphones output…I guess helix groups the headphones jack in with the Guitar out 1/4? Is there a way to send the 1/4 out to EQ to only the amp, and not my headphones? TIA.

Hi

I doubt there's a 'best way' other than what suits you. The simplest way I can think of is:

• Use path 1 for a range of effects that run before your amp
  • Use a split block as late as possible in that path (1b) to create an output tap to the 1/4 inch outputs - I would put an EQ of choice on this path
  • Send the output of path 1a into path 2 
  • Use path 2 to replicate your amp/cab sounds and any post microphone effects to get your desired direct to the board sound - I would have at least one amp, one cab, and EQ and a compressor
  • Set the output of path 2 to XLR
  • Only use the global EQ if you really have to - it will affect all outputs

Some of the thinking/options here:

• You want your amp onstage and the send to the desk to sound similar so need an amp and cab going to the desk
  • Tuning the EQ for the room on the XLR send is best left to the desk rather than your sense of how it needs to be tuned - hence not using global (at least for the XLRs)
  • You will need to test your XLR sends at 'stage' volumes, through good monitors or PAs to ensure they are OK - headphones won't cut it
  • If you have an effects send on the amp you can introduce loops and 4 chan method in Path 1 but it will get complex
  • You could probably go with a 2 amp stereo set-up for the desk if that what you wanted - you will then have a stage sound that is different to the desk send, but IRL the desk doesn't 'hear' what you do

I can quickly make a patch for you to play with if you like.